Snaps

Author
Mike R.
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/19 14:13:46 (permalink)

Snaps

I've read some people use a snap between their leader and tippet for steel head so when they renew the tippet they dont lose any lenth on their leader. Will this have a neg. affect on any thing. What type and size of snap should be used. Or should I just stay with a double surgeons knot?

5 Replies Related Threads

davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 981
    RE: Snaps 2008/09/19 19:21:57 (permalink)
    I've never saw anyone who used an actual snap but i use the smallest swivel i can find at the erie baitshops. Its a lot easier to tie to that when its cold out than to tie a double uni knot or any other type to join two lines.

I also have been using the quickclip/fast snaps at the end of my leader to make bait changing easier. They look pretty flimsy but in 4 years a steelie still hasn't straightened one out.
    killdeer19
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 654
    RE: Snaps 2008/09/19 22:04:02 (permalink)
    I basically use the same set up as davef. Works well. the only problem you'd have is if you're trying to use smaller dry flies...

Some people are like Slinkies...not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
    MRBM
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Snaps 2008/09/22 08:40:08 (permalink)
    Start with a good fluorocarbon tapered leader, 9'+ in 2X or 3X.  You will soon loose the last couple feet of it through normal wear and tear.  Then tie the smallest black barrel swivel (not snap) you can manage on the leader.  Tie whatever length of whatever size tippet you want on the swivel and rig normally.  One advantage is you can leave a short tag on the swivel for split shot.  This set up is great for "chuck & duck" and 2-fly dropper/indicator fishing for steelies.  It is OK for swinging wets and streamers.  Probably not too good for drys, though.
    anadromous fly
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: Snaps 2008/09/27 02:39:29 (permalink)
    this technique I believe originated in the UK. Where ferruled leaders first started. They tie on a solid ss ring then tie on the tippet section. the ring is the same as when you order a ferruled leader, about 1mm in size. Here in the NW we use barrel swivels as they have the added benefit of reducing line twist. You can get them in a sz 24 now. about 4-5mm in size.

Anadromous FLY
    Please practice catch and release.
    Tony MO
    916-897-0321

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Snaps 2008/09/27 08:59:42 (permalink)
    Mike R.
       I use both a snap swivel and a barrell swivel, the barrell swivel is a little better because it tends to be lighter and stronger.  I even like to use the three way swivels and tie my weight to the dropper off the third arm.  That way I can put a fly down deep with weight and have another up higher.  Don't worry about the weight factor too much; you are trying to get the flies down.  I like to use a weighted stone bouncing the bottom and a glo-dot egg slightly higher up and floating.
       One of the major reasons for the snap swivel is so I can change from flies to minnows to egg rigs quickly without tying knots.  I simply pre-rig my leaders or tippetts with a snelled end and put the tippettt in pouches at my house.  Then, on the creek, I just slip the looped end of the terminal line into the snap link and I'm ready to go.  No fumbling with frozen fingers. 
    post edited by indsguiz - 2008/09/27 09:03:32

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Jump to: