Private and posted waters!

Author
booge
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/18 22:18:18 (permalink)

Private and posted waters!

This is my first time using this discussion board.  I have been fishing Elk Creek for the last 10 years for steelhead.  It is something that I look forward to every year.  I use to fish 4 times a week when I went to college in Meadville.  Now I have a little girl at home and I only make the trip up two or three times a year.  It seems like lately all of the places on the stream that I like to fish have either become posted or private.  This has become depressing for me because it seems like all it does is push all of us closer together on the streams and I think we lose some fish opportunities that way.  I was just curious of what all of you guys thought about these posted waters because it seems like you all put a lot of time into these streams. Personally, it ****es me off!

5 Replies Related Threads

Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: Private and posted waters! 2008/09/18 22:27:43 (permalink)
    What areas specifically on Elk are you disappointed that are posted?

<---  The Holy Trinity
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Private and posted waters! 2008/09/18 23:47:54 (permalink)
    Actually, over the past two years as a result of the stamp/easement program, there has been a net GAIN in waters open to the public.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    sixers
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: Private and posted waters! 2008/09/19 07:15:14 (permalink)
    I fish the Connie and have notice the same thing.  I guess it is the thrash left by fisherman,( I try to be careful).  I always believed  in fishing near a bridge, now most of  those cover bridges are posted and many other bridges.  Things are really bad since the RR has banned walking on their tracks. This year I plain to start  fishing break walls and the lake from the shore.
    seejib
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 268
    RE: Private and posted waters! 2008/09/19 09:29:04 (permalink)
    Booge,
    This is just my opinion, some land owners are sick of the damage to there property and the mess left behind, I would do the same if I had that problem. However, it is also my opinion that some guides and/or clubs have gotten some land owners to post there land and then letting the guides access there land. It is a shame but it is the direct result from bad fishing practices, trash left behind, ect. ect. I understand the land owners but I have found that if you approach the land owners they may grant access if they deem your going to care for their land as if it was your own, some just have their hand out too. Its all just a shame. A good example is on the east side, above rt 5 on 20 mile is a very good streach for a few hundred yards, and I had heard that some one in a elite($$$) fishing club caught what would have been a state record brown but because it was posted land it was not allowed.I think that section is leased with a big check every year but everything started with messy fishermen and the land owner will only let a select few that is not in the elite club to fish it. I think what the fish comm. is doing will help get back some of these prime spots but time will tell. Unfortunatly it comes down to the mighty dollar. Heck everytime I headed west to Elk, Walnut or Trout, the crowds and lack of knowing the creeks pushed me back to the east side that I know much better. NY permit will open up 20 mile a bunch. This year I will do some exploring on Elk and the Nut.

By the way, do you live in Meadville?
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Private and posted waters! 2008/09/19 11:53:16 (permalink)
    As a land owner (not on the tribs) I have to say that you're right. I've had people try to throw me off of my land during hunting season, leave fast food garbage and beer cans, set in my stand when I walked back to my house (800 yards away) for lunch, park in the farm roads blocking them and that's not even counting the @#$%$#$ atv's that tear things up and what's with the need for a loud exhaust? My ground is not posted...yet.

I understand the Erie county has raised the property tax on several of those posted properties along the tribs, so they will probably remain pay fishing places.

Bottom line is whether you're fishing or hunting or just walking, respect the land owner if you want places to stay open.
    Jump to: