kids and steel

Author
wezel
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 31
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/17 20:19:32 (permalink)

kids and steel

Hello I am thinking about taking my daughter steel head fishing towards the end of the month and I am looking for advice on where would be a good area and what might be a good style of fishing for her. She is seven and she goes fishing and hunting with me alot so she is a trooper but she is not ready to be wading in the streams or casting lures any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

3 Replies Related Threads

><>er man
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: kids and steel 2008/09/17 20:28:03 (permalink)
    wezel, i would take her to elk creek lots of places to fish that don't require wading
    try jigs just fish them under a float deep enough to be with in 6'' or so off the bottom easy to use no mess!!!!!
    if u pm me your address i'll send you a dozen or so hand tied jigs for her no cost just like to see the kids getting out there to enjoy this wonderful sport
    Screamin Steel
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 246
    RE: kids and steel 2008/09/17 22:30:16 (permalink)
    The access at elk boasts a long area of rip rap rock along the edge and fits your description perfectly. Plus it is usually packed with fish! Keep in mind that by bank fishing you may have to use a slightly heavier setup, as you may not be able to follow a fish up or down the creek as easily. Good luck!
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6355
    RE: kids and steel 2008/09/17 22:38:10 (permalink)
    wezel,
         I second the idea to use the heaviest rod with a GOOD DRAG that the little one can handle.  Remember she will be dealing with a fish that could aproach 1/5 her body weight so she doesn't need to fight it.  I'd recommend a conventional spinning rod in med-hvy with at least 8# line, as long as you cna get that she is comfortable with.  Use a jig, as suggested, or just go with a minnow or a worm.  Fish it under a float so she can see the strikes and make sure she has a good place to sit down and maintain her balance.  The object here is for her to land the fish not fight it all day.  Little arms get tired rather quickly.   Hope she does well.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Jump to: