Loyalhanna Streambed Restoration Project

Author
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/17 13:19:58 (permalink)

Loyalhanna Streambed Restoration Project

Anyone taken a spin through the area where they're lining the stream with those boulders?  The lower DHALO there was one of my favorite areas before they came in.  I'd see big trout there every time I went, even in the middle of summer heat.  I cleared out when they came in with the dozers and backhoes. 

A few days back I walked/fished the entire length of the DHALO, and from what I could see, they've ruined that section as far as fishermen are concerned.  From the mouth of Mill creek down 3/4 of the way to the bridge by Lady of the Lake, the best holes have been totally washed out, and the creek there is straight, fast, and shallow, with no tree cover, eddies, or seams to fish.  Once you get to the last 100 yards or so, their project ends and there are a few decent places, and maybe within a few years, enough silt and structure will wash down to make it a nice place again, but for now, at least as far as I can tell, it's like it went from a back country road to a freeway.

Any other thoughts on this?  I was under the impression that the project was to improve the stream, but now I'm thinking it was probably more to save Rte. 30, and whatever happened to the water to get the current away from the 30 side was fine. 

Really, I hope my initial reaction is wrong, and that the trout will like their new environment down there after the october stocking, but as of now, it doesn't look too promising to me.

10 Replies Related Threads

fishrmn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 675
    RE: Loyalhanna Streambed Restoration Project 2008/09/17 13:30:21 (permalink)
    That section of stream was in REALLY bad shape as far as erosion problems go.  This project will benifit it big time, give it a few good rains and it will be in good shape.  The stream bank was literaly getting eaten away during every rain down near the lower boundry.

-Tim
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Loyalhanna Streambed Restoration Project 2008/09/17 14:30:54 (permalink)
    I really hope youre right, man.  It quickly became one of my favorite areas to fish with the amount of fish present compared the the traffic it got (when it comes to fishing I'm an antisocial hermit).  And seeing it like this really bums me out.  Still, your prognosis is encouraging. 
    HardCore Fisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 519
    RE: Loyalhanna Streambed Restoration Project 2008/09/17 14:47:39 (permalink)
    Did this only happen on this section or are other areas gonna see activity too ?

Ronnie
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Loyalhanna Streambed Restoration Project 2008/09/17 15:24:54 (permalink)
    To the extent of my knowledge, this is it.  Farther down, I think, the creek broadens enough that it doesnt undercut the banks too badly.  Farther up, it doesn't have the volume (Mill creek marks the beginning of the project).

fishrmn, do you think the "baffles" (for lack of a better word), might turn into nice holes once things settle down?  They're the closest thing I saw to a fishable feature in the stream.  Also, I suppose that channel in the center might make decent seams on either side, though these will get fished heavily, I'm sure.  The easy access will be a mixed blessing, I think.
    Estimated
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 191
    RE: Loyalhanna Streambed Restoration Project 2008/09/17 16:18:23 (permalink)
    Hope there plan works.
    2dog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Loyalhanna Streambed Restoration Project 2008/09/17 21:25:45 (permalink)
    Did they take the road out where they crossed at Mill creek yet?
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Loyalhanna Streambed Restoration Project 2008/09/17 21:28:31 (permalink)
    Yes, today, sort of.  The huge pile of gravel is still there, on the hanna side, but the concrete pipes are out, and water is flowing naturally through the gap they dug in the gravel.
    Bibby
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Loyalhanna Streambed Restoration Project 2008/09/18 21:35:26 (permalink)
    From what I have been told the stream is super low and probably looks much different from the spring/early summer flows.  I could be wrong but the construction going on is not stream related as much is it is a construction project.   Not preaching just saying- join TU or a local club and help save and preserve the stream.  I did'nt consider this type of thing really until 2 years ago and I am glad that I did.  Have learned a lot and made some friends. 
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Loyalhanna Streambed Restoration Project 2008/09/18 21:46:02 (permalink)
    When was the last time you were there?  Sure it's low compared to spring runoff conditions, but the rain we've gotten these past few weeks have given it depth and color.  The deeper pools are no longer gin clear, but have taken on that dark, minty green tinge we all know and love, and the bigger rocks are no longer perforating the riffles. 

Since the rain, it has become a lot harder to locate trout by sight, but in reality thats a good thing: it means conditions are improving to the point that they're not forced to congregate in the few holes cool enough to catch their breath in.

As far as your analysis of the project, it seems you've got the right idea.  And I dont mean to sound like I'm against the project.  Obviously, they need to keep it from wrecking Rte. 30 E, but I guess I was just hoping maybe that they'd give the trout a little structure, or try to preserve the natural holes that were there to begin with.  All but one or two of the holes that were in that area have been replaced by 6" deep riffles w/ no cover.
    Bibby
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Loyalhanna Streambed Restoration Project 2008/09/19 13:26:37 (permalink)
    Not for months, going by some local info.   Is it that the construction is messing up the creek- by sending sediment into the creek or have created erosion with a channelization?   
    Jump to: