Yankee fly shop

Author
saltflyfisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 565
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/16 20:03:01 (permalink)

Yankee fly shop

Is it my imagination or did they ask for money to post reports for people. If you look at the right side of the cover page and look for the reports, click on it and isn't she asking for money? I tell you right now i never enter that store again, if that's what they want. What an attitude.

18 Replies Related Threads

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Yankee fly shop 2008/09/16 20:11:38 (permalink)
    seems like free to me ..... Even a little video action to boot.

Salmon River NY Catching Report: 9-16-08

I know all of you have "Salmon Fever" and it's that time of year.  The New York Salmon are coming into the river on a daily basis and the time to go salmon fishing in New York State is NOW!  We have Jim taking videos out back behind our shop showing you action in the world famous, "Town Pool" and to see what's going on you can

CLICK HERE or you can go directly to YouTube and see all the videos he's made since September 10, 2008.  You want "reports" well you got 'em.  Sorry about the web cam, we're having some technical difficulty right now and we're working on it to get it fixed.  There will be a charge to see the cam.  If you choose not to pay, then that's okay with us.  All monies related to the live Salmon River NY web cam go directly to the operation and maintence of the cam.  When we have time we will post pictures in our "Fishing Photos" section with dates so you can see what's being caught.  We have no problem giving you honest, no B.S. fishing reports based on your skill level of course when you come in our shop which is located in downtown Pulaski across the street from the new restaurant, "The Riverhouse Restaurant".  We're right at the short bridge.  Please keep in mind, our property behind our fly & tackle shop is private and reserved for our lodging guests and shop customers.  Last but not least, when we do have time to post reports on our front page of our website, we will include certain "reports" within our stories so for all of you wanting to only read stories labled, "Catching or Fishing Reports", well, you may just pass up some critical information so be sure to read all of our posts. 

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    SalmonRiverKing
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: Yankee fly shop 2008/09/16 20:48:23 (permalink)
    awsome thats sweet as hell....ill be there in a few days so caint wait....goood videos....i like to see rather than read it.....
    Sage4wt
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 154
    RE: Yankee fly shop 2008/09/16 21:33:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: saltflyfisher

Is it my imagination or did they ask for money to post reports for people. If you look at the right side of the cover page and look for the reports, click on it and isn't she asking for money? I tell you right now i never enter that store again, if that's what they want. What an attitude.

It seems that is where she is heading. It will be a cold day in hell before I pay for a report. I don't know what she is thinking but I bet she has ****ed a few people off. I spoke with her on the phone once about renting a room. She was rather rude and seemed like she didn't want to give it to me. She gave me the run down of her rules and how she will kick us out if she hears a pin drop after 9pm and not give us a refund. Also, she kept reminding me that she can turn me down to give the room to whoever she wants and if they are willing to pay more. Needless to say, I went elsewhere for a room. I didn't need all that bs.

DAS BOOT!
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    RE: Yankee fly shop 2008/09/16 21:35:03 (permalink)
    Step down one where it says level 1, thats the one I was talking about. Didn't realize there was another after that, was added new since I saw it.
    ORIGINAL: hot tuna

seems like free to me ..... Even a little video action to boot.

Salmon River NY Catching Report: 9-16-08

I know all of you have "Salmon Fever" and it's that time of year.  The New York Salmon are coming into the river on a daily basis and the time to go salmon fishing in New York State is NOW!  We have Jim taking videos out back behind our shop showing you action in the world famous, "Town Pool" and to see what's going on you can

CLICK HERE or you can go directly to YouTube and see all the videos he's made since September 10, 2008.  You want "reports" well you got 'em.  Sorry about the web cam, we're having some technical difficulty right now and we're working on it to get it fixed.  There will be a charge to see the cam.  If you choose not to pay, then that's okay with us.  All monies related to the live Salmon River NY web cam go directly to the operation and maintence of the cam.  When we have time we will post pictures in our "Fishing Photos" section with dates so you can see what's being caught.  We have no problem giving you honest, no B.S. fishing reports based on your skill level of course when you come in our shop which is located in downtown Pulaski across the street from the new restaurant, "The Riverhouse Restaurant".  We're right at the short bridge.  Please keep in mind, our property behind our fly & tackle shop is private and reserved for our lodging guests and shop customers.  Last but not least, when we do have time to post reports on our front page of our website, we will include certain "reports" within our stories so for all of you wanting to only read stories labled, "Catching or Fishing Reports", well, you may just pass up some critical information so be sure to read all of our posts. 
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Yankee fly shop 2008/09/16 21:37:54 (permalink)
    I read that this morning after work. I really have no answer.
    I will buy some of the materials I need there, but I won't be sending a check.
    Sometimes people just don't want to hear it. When I'm planning a trip of any sort I don't want the outfitter whining about personal struggles. It's their job (partly) to help us escape the world for a short time & remain mostly guilt free.
    I wish everyone saw it that way.

Lyrical
    SPIKER
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 165
    RE: Yankee fly shop 2008/09/17 00:16:44 (permalink)
    Shes dumber than the Salmon you would get a report on....I hope her business goes to hell,hell,hell!!!!!!!!
    SalmonRiverKing
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: Yankee fly shop 2008/09/17 00:40:20 (permalink)
    unbeleivable.................
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    RE: Yankee fly shop 2008/09/17 06:27:56 (permalink)
    That was actual initial take on the writing she did.
    ORIGINAL: salmotrutta

When I'm planning a trip of any sort I don't want the outfitter whining about personal struggles. It's their job (partly) to help us escape the world for a short time & remain mostly guilt free.
    I wish everyone saw it that way.

straw
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 56
    RE: Yankee fly shop 2008/09/17 07:43:31 (permalink)
    I have been shopping and staying at Yankee fly shop for for the last 4 years and have nothing but good things to say about them, Mike, John and Dawn. Dawn is great with my boys. Also she has to deal with some rockhead fisherman. It is hard run a flyshop on the salmon river but she tells the truth. If you want to get a song and dance go to Fat Nancy's where they will sell you black sponge and a ton of weight for snagging or that is what they did a few years back to my friends.
    Straw
    smoltguy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Yankee fly shop 2008/09/17 11:57:19 (permalink)
    It sounds like Salty is correct, according to her website :

So, if you want me to continue to report, either support my shop and say, "Thank You" when you come in, or if my shop is not open, send me a check and make out to: Dawn Rucando/Yankee Fly/Money For Your Reports 4819 Salina Street Pulaski NY 13142.  If time is money to you like it is to me, then you will understand.  Check out this salmon fishing video and another that was made and posted to YouTube.  Thank you to all my loyal lodge, guide, and shop customers out there.  For all those who want to send me a nasty email, please don't waste your time because it will be deleted.  You can come down and tell me to my face if you have the cahones to do so.  You know where I am.  Oh, for those morons out there, "cahones" means BALLS in Spanish!

For those of you with good experiences in that shop, are we talking about the same shop????? and owner?????
    tommybanzai
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 609
    RE: Yankee fly shop 2008/09/17 13:56:12 (permalink)
    hahaha...thats entertaining....

As unbiased as it can get, I have NEVER fished oswego, salmon or sandy or any others on the east side of the lake....so I am neither in support of or against her actions. Really what it comes down to once again is that you will hear a person complain about something before condoning ever about something. People (including myself at times) are great about voicing our complaints, and not as much about the good things.

hey, i don't blame her...its her business and decision. Its not like there aren't a dozen or two other areas to get reports from.  and who really cares, we all know there are salmon (with some steel and browns mixed in) to be had come last weekend of September-mid/end October in any Ontario supporting stream.....so why even ask anymore if there are fish there?...they will be there!!!

Now everyone have a rocking time this season

...and don't forget to respect your neighbor and ask to slide into a spot....
    ....believe me, there are still a few nice people out there 
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: Yankee fly shop 2008/09/17 14:58:05 (permalink)
    I never seen such a statement(s) in my life from a business owner. Is she trying to go out of business or did she just have a REAL bad day? Trying to catch flies with vinegar. Turned me off for business. If you make a donation, is that good for one fishing report or the season?

Unbelieveable... I re-read the page and it's funnier the second time. ************** Maybe some *****...

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
    Bitts
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Yankee fly shop 2008/09/17 16:16:28 (permalink)
    First off I want to say hi all.(my 1st post) They ask for money(20.00) to fish the river out in frount of their place.(didn't fish their)I saw alot of fish from the trestle pool up last weekend!!
    fly1on
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Yankee fly shop 2008/09/17 17:43:05 (permalink)
    I havent run into Dawn much at the shop but Mike and John are great guys and happy to talk fish and fishing. As for the reports....whitakers, the DSR and the posts you see right here are all you need. Theres fish everywhere from top to bottom from what I hear and I will be up personally on the 19th-22nd. Will report back when I return. Theres no magic report....just GO! and have fun. I'm so stoked I can barely sit still in my chair here at work, i've tied a thousand flies. I've never been this early and I hope to find some fresh cohos and maybe a trout or two. With a little luck and some gas money I'll be back up late Nov/Dec for steel.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Yankee fly shop 2008/09/17 18:14:12 (permalink)
    Amen. I hear pink Comets are working rather well for Kings. That's what a few of my homies have told me.
    Of coarse it's the only color I don't have......
    5 days & counting for me.
    I'll be stopping @ Yankee more than once I'm sure. I like the place, but I've never heard this crazy kind of talk in the shop. If I did I would probably suggest zoloft, or something along those lines. It helps.

Lyrical
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Yankee fly shop 2008/09/17 21:25:57 (permalink)
    I believe Mike is gone from there.

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    straw
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 56
    RE: Yankee fly shop 2008/09/18 07:11:48 (permalink)
    Mike is having a baby so he won't be around this fall.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Yankee fly shop 2008/09/18 09:11:03 (permalink)
    Mike is a nice fella. Talked to him a bunch last year.
    So is John. I haven't seen his Atlantic yet. Last year when I was up he hadn't gotten it back yet.
    They've helped me locate fish more than once, and they don't BS you (as others have said).

Lyrical
    Jump to: