Sugar Lake and Woodcock

Author
countryfisher
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 168
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/15 14:23:55 (permalink)

Sugar Lake and Woodcock

I havent fished either of these places, just wondering how they were for bass and crappie... I've heard woodcock is a decent muskie fishery but thats about all I've heard about it.  also any tips or general locations would be helpful for getting started, thanks

22 Replies Related Threads

carcus1211
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 457
    RE: Sugar Lake and Woodcock 2008/09/15 17:36:49 (permalink)
    Sugar lake you will catch fish... Woodcock, only in the spring.....if you're lucky... talk to BassAckwards.... he fishes both lakes a lot and I go with him sometimes when i'm around the Meadville area.

LoveGlove United
    PONDSCUM
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Sugar Lake and Woodcock 2008/09/17 14:59:16 (permalink)
    used 2 do good on woodcock until last cpl yrs    think the dam muskies got everything eatin up lol   went twice     an nuttin
    carcus1211
    Expert Angler
    RE: Sugar Lake and Woodcock 2008/09/17 17:24:55 (permalink)
    i know Bass and i have had luck in the spring.... i did catch a 43 inche muskie on the outflow side of the dam at the beginning of August, but that's about it.

LoveGlove United
    stevepf
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 287
    RE: Sugar Lake and Woodcock 2008/09/17 21:29:30 (permalink)
    Caught a few nice pannies thru the ice @ Sugar,don't know much about the lake tho.

I'm gonna fish more and work less.
    Have A Crappie Day
    fish guts
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: Sugar Lake and Woodcock 2008/09/21 19:57:49 (permalink)
    There is quite a lot of small panfish at sugar however they seem to be full of parasites, I guess the worms and gill lice do not harm them for eating but check them out . so you don.t get surprised when you clean them, check along the back under the top fin.on  a few.  I think they are in most of the fish there, small yellow worms and their eggs in back.

I agree that woodcock muskies have eaten most other fish in the lake , you will catch an occasional walleye and largmouth. Some ice fishing will give you a few crappies some decent size.

fishguts
    BASS ACKWARDS
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: Sugar Lake and Woodcock 2008/09/22 06:42:56 (permalink)
          I think both are good fishery's. Sugar seems to have a pickerel problem, but the warden down there does not seem to think so. Lot's of fun on light action equipment, but either use a tiny leader or bring lot's of lures. The last couple years I have not had much success there, but that's the way fishing goes sometimes. I used to slay the LM there back in 2005 - 2006, but as I said, not much there in the last couple years. I believe the lake, which used to be a big bass lake, is no longer one. So I believe something is happening there to make them pull the "big bass lake" regulations from that body of water. It has a fair population of Musky, but nothing like Tamarack and Woodcock. I have only went there 3 times this year, but look forward to trying it again once the water temps go down a little.
         Woodcock is also a good lake. The fishing conditions seem to have changed in the last couple of years, as far as fish location and water clarity. Used to be able to catch lot's of SM there around the shoreline, but lately I have been finding them in 10-15 FOW along weed edges and humps (with rocks - must have). Panfish are pretty much non- existent - So don't take the little kiddies there for bluegill (unless you are going to use them as musky bait). I have heard there is good ice fishing for perch there in the late winter ??? Used to catch walleye in the old creek bed by the beach, now I only pick them up early in the AM in a couple creek channels. I don't catch many LM there, but the ones I have caught are big boys. Used to find perch in 30 FOW, now I only find them tucked away in big brush piles. Pondscum is on the right track, lots of musky , but it has just made the other fish find different habitats to keep protected.  
    countryfisher
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: Sugar Lake and Woodcock 2008/09/22 19:37:28 (permalink)
    fished sugar lake, we caught some bluegills this weekend, and one small bass... thought the largemouth fishin would be better, especially on the two weedy ends... i didnt find any worms in the bluegills though.  are there more bass toward the middle of the lake or were they around the edges and I just couldnt catch em?  Never caught a pickerel
    dealinsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 318
    RE: Sugar Lake and Woodcock 2008/09/23 10:52:56 (permalink)
    Guys do some research before you blame the muskies for "eating everything"....these fish have lived together in lakes for centuries, it's not like they just figured out they like panfish or bass.  Bass Ackwards is on the right track, there's been a ton of studies on the impact of muskies on other fish populations and it's rarely ever negative.
    BASS ACKWARDS
    Avid Angler
    RE: Sugar Lake and Woodcock 2008/09/23 12:38:08 (permalink)
    What I have found is that the fish seem to keep getting bigger and they find new spots to hide from predators. I don't know the whole story about any of it - but at least for woodcock, I have been noticing that smaller fish are harder to come by but the ones I do catch are a lot bigger than the lakes in Indiana/Ohio I have fished with little musky population. I have found that fish up here in lakes with high musky population are less likely (IMO) to roam around freely and just suspend in the water column. You would not believe the places I have found fish hiding with my underwater camera, hardly big enough for them to fit. Now I know this does not always hold true for every lake, this is just my opinion of what I conclude. I imagine that being a smaller fish (if there are other fish big enough to eat you),  the only way to survive is to hide or run. Simple food chain - Eat or be eaten (or hide like I would). It might make fish harder to catch or entice out of hiding, but I have just changed some of my techniques and fishing spots. The hard part is knowing when to adapt your techniques for these situations and when to use them. When fish are biting, sure just about anyone can throw a lure around the shore and catch fish, but what make fishing fishing is when you have to work a little for those fish -  
    carcus1211
    Expert Angler
    RE: Sugar Lake and Woodcock 2008/09/23 18:32:33 (permalink)
    Bass...remember that VERY little perch i caught the last time we were at Woodcock (when the berrings went out in the trailer).  It couldn't have been any bigger than 2 inches.... so there are smaller fish around...lol

LoveGlove United
    BASS ACKWARDS
    Avid Angler
    RE: Sugar Lake and Woodcock 2008/09/24 06:26:49 (permalink)
    My point exactly. Where was that perch caught ? Not out in open water or deep water like you find in some lakes. He was tucked up in the deep brush hiding. Why was he in the deep brush ? To keep from being eaten. I would not think the life expectancy would be that great for a 2 inch perch swimming freely in a high musky populated lake. I have been fishing Woodcock for quite a few years now, and it interest me as to why the lake seems to have changed. I always meet people at the dock when loading the boat and hear them say "We got skunked" - "Not even a nibble" , but these are the same guys I see sitting in 20 FOW with no structure dangling a minnow over the side of their boat - or - dragging a worm across smooth dirt bottom. the  From my experience, this isn't a good technique for this lake IMO. Now don't get me wrong - I have had plenty of days out there and got skunked, but so have I at Sugar, Ft.lebouf , Edinboro and even Lake Erie. Some days there either on or off.....  
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Sugar Lake and Woodcock 2008/09/24 06:45:31 (permalink)
    I've been fishing Woodcock for many years myself and have also noticed a change..
    We used to have a little pattern for catching eyes there and it worked quite well.
    Now I can't seem to find them(eyes)..I see other boats catching them but my patterns and jelly holes have gone dry...
    The Musky fishing has declined in the last 5-6 years for us..I seem to catch more Musky trolling for eyes than I do plugging for them...
    The lake still has some of the largest Smallmouth Bass you will find in an inland lake..IMO..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

ducati
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Sugar Lake and Woodcock 2008/09/24 08:11:47 (permalink)
    I live near a very small lake ( under 10 ac. ) and they stocked it with tiger musky for 3 years and then quit.  I have seen 30" muskie in the clear water with about 20 bluegills all around it, i see it all the time.  Do you really think fish have reasoning skills?  How maqy years have then been drawing the water down at woodcock for weed control?  I have heard that it may take 3 years or so before it has an effect on the weads.  I know of other lakes that have started the winter draw-downs or even spray the lake for weeds and personally i think its a bad idea - at least for fishing.  Think about it - you are removing food from the food chain, what do you think will happen.  Weeds are good - keep the weeds!
    dealinsteel
    Expert Angler
    RE: Sugar Lake and Woodcock 2008/09/24 09:55:28 (permalink)
    I read an article one time on fishing pressure that really got my attention, only due to the fact we have had a similar problem in Pa.  So a lake makes a name for itself by producing fish, for this we'll just say muskies.  So this lake becomes so popular because it's producing so many fish that everybody wants to fish it.  The fish, in turn, change from the increased pressure, which makes it harder to catch fish than the originals encountered.  So here you have guys pounding away at something making it increasingly difficult to catch any fish compared to the numbers that were originally caught.  This continues to the point where it's difficult to catch one fish, and then the cycle continues with people moving on and giving up.....  Until they hear about the next lake producing numbers like the first lake.  Just think, a bunch more pressure, the fish see a ton of lures, mostly big musky stuff, which (from the pressure standpoint) makes it harder to get bit.  What do bass or steelhead guys do when the fish get pressured?  Go smaller!!  How many people are fishing crawler harnesses on that lake?  probably very few.  Probably the same number of guys that are getting hot n tots slammed by muskies.  The whole point of this is to be an intelligent fisherman, not just a guy that rolls the dice and plays the odds with a lake, but one that does research and predicts the next "big" lake, and gets off of it before the rest of the world finds out about it....
    ducati
    New Angler
    RE: Sugar Lake and Woodcock 2008/09/24 13:52:39 (permalink)
    Hum, that could explain why i have a lot of 55 inchers there on bart simpson luers this year.
    saltydog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 286
    RE: Sugar Lake and Woodcock 2008/09/24 16:22:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ducati

I live near a very small lake ( under 10 ac. ) and they stocked it with tiger musky for 3 years and then quit.  I have seen 30" muskie in the clear water with about 20 bluegills all around it, i see it all the time.  Do you really think fish have reasoning skills?  How maqy years have then been drawing the water down at woodcock for weed control?  I have heard that it may take 3 years or so before it has an effect on the weads.  I know of other lakes that have started the winter draw-downs or even spray the lake for weeds and personally i think its a bad idea - at least for fishing.  Think about it - you are removing food from the food chain, what do you think will happen.  Weeds are good - keep the weeds!

i too think weeds are good, but too many weeds are bad.  in the winter time weeds die and decompose, then grow up again in the spring.  while they are alive, weeds are sucking CO2 out of the water and pumping O2 back in. that is very good. 

in the winter time, levels of dissolved oxygen fall off as the plants die off. also, the process of decompisiton is sucking even more oxygen out of the water.  if the level of dissolved oxygen drops too low, fish cant survive and you have a "winter kill". 
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Sugar Lake and Woodcock 2008/09/24 19:07:39 (permalink)
    The water at Woodcock isn't drawn down to kill weeds..It is a flood control reservoir and is lowered in anticipation of the spring floods and is kept at winter pool..
    post edited by bingsbaits - 2008/09/25 14:18:31

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    RE: Sugar Lake and Woodcock 2008/09/24 21:18:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dealinsteel

I read an article one time on fishing pressure that really got my attention, only due to the fact we have had a similar problem in Pa.  So a lake makes a name for itself by producing fish, for this we'll just say muskies.  So this lake becomes so popular because it's producing so many fish that everybody wants to fish it.  The fish, in turn, change from the increased pressure, which makes it harder to catch fish than the originals encountered.  So here you have guys pounding away at something making it increasingly difficult to catch any fish compared to the numbers that were originally caught.  This continues to the point where it's difficult to catch one fish, and then the cycle continues with people moving on and giving up.....  Until they hear about the next lake producing numbers like the first lake.  Just think, a bunch more pressure, the fish see a ton of lures, mostly big musky stuff, which (from the pressure standpoint) makes it harder to get bit.  What do bass or steelhead guys do when the fish get pressured?  Go smaller!!  How many people are fishing crawler harnesses on that lake?  probably very few.  Probably the same number of guys that are getting hot n tots slammed by muskies.  The whole point of this is to be an intelligent fisherman, not just a guy that rolls the dice and plays the odds with a lake, but one that does research and predicts the next "big" lake, and gets off of it before the rest of the world finds out about it....

The truest words i've ever read!!!

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"
    BASS ACKWARDS
    Avid Angler
    RE: Sugar Lake and Woodcock 2008/09/25 06:08:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ducati

Hum, that could explain why i have a lot of 55 inchers there on bart simpson luers this year.

Is this a "don't have a cow man" Bart Simpson lure or the famous musky lure designer ??? I caught a bluegill there one time with a spider-man bobber. Heck, I think Carcus has a Sponge Bob lure he uses.

Sorry Ducati - just pokin fun......... 

ducati
    New Angler
    RE: Sugar Lake and Woodcock 2008/09/25 06:52:44 (permalink)
    The cartoon variety, i like the beer can ones.
    dealinsteel
    Expert Angler
    RE: Sugar Lake and Woodcock 2008/09/25 10:03:55 (permalink)
    Thanks avid, I can't take credit for it, but I can tell you that it has changed the way that I decide where to fish, and has paid off for me.  After getting skunked a few times at places with a bunch of other boats fishing you need to start to think outside the box.  Even if it means throwing that old Straub lure that was your grandfathers favorite....an not cause he caught fish on it! 
    carcus1211
    Expert Angler
    RE: Sugar Lake and Woodcock 2008/09/25 13:03:55 (permalink)
    you are absolutely right Bass...i do have a Sponge Bob Bobber that you bought for me.... haven't used it yet.... maybe this weekend...lol

LoveGlove United
    Jump to: