Recipe's For Bad Tasting Kings?

Author
McFishin
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 199
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/10 00:30:11 (permalink)

Recipe's For Bad Tasting Kings?

On our trip last fall(late october) we brought back a few kings and after a couple of attempts at baking/grilling/frying, they still taste like well, fish(only terribly bad fish, unedible). Was wondering if there was a step before cooking that would take away the taste(marinating, if so, in what?). We are heading back up first of October but didn't want to bring back anymore if we couldn't eat the meat. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

24 Replies Related Threads

Sage4wt
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 154
    RE: Recipe's For Bad Tasting Kings? 2008/09/10 00:33:33 (permalink)
    dont keep the dark moldy ones, lol. not sure bc we had the same prob last year but the more silver the better. i would try to smoke them. not sure if it would make them better but cant be any worse.
    McFishin
    Avid Angler
    RE: Recipe's For Bad Tasting Kings? 2008/09/10 00:43:38 (permalink)
    Hey Sage. yeah that's what someone told us but it seemed the only ones we/anyone was catching were dark colored(darkish green/black?) so we kept those. yeah really, i even tried just frying them on a skillet like i do trout and catfish fillets. i'll never do that again. i actually like a little bit of a fishy taste(lets me know i'm still eating fish) but my gosh, those were like catching a bluegill and sticking it in your mouth alive.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Recipe's For Bad Tasting Kings? 2008/09/10 01:19:02 (permalink)
    The Salmon are referred to as "Mudsharks" for a reason,they taste like mud.Once they enter the river they are getting ready to die and their flesh starts to decompose and take on a terrible taste.There is nothing you can do to make it better,they're fun to play with and that's it.Some get them smoked but even then it's terrible.
    McFishin
    Avid Angler
    RE: Recipe's For Bad Tasting Kings? 2008/09/10 02:03:25 (permalink)
    Judging by the taste I didn't think there was much that could be done. What about the browns/steelies? I'm a 99.9% C&R guy but I do enjoy the occasional fillet and a steelie/brown looks pretty tasty. Are they any different tasting than a regular stocker? I would assume they were since they spend most of thier lives in the lake? Good/Bad? input?
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Recipe's For Bad Tasting Kings? 2008/09/10 05:22:20 (permalink)
    The fresher fish are better! That being said, when you catch one - bleed it - by cutting the gills that gets most of the blood out of your meat - keep it cold - in the water assuming it's below 55 degrees - upon removing into the cooler with ice on top of it.

Recipes: 1. Smoked - eat as is or take approximately 1/2 lb smoked salmon & 8 oz. package cream cheese - blend - makes good spread - or - take the basic spread recipe - add about 8 oz. of sour cream - makes a good dip! To spice it up - we also add some cayenne pepper and hot horse radish!

2. Take fillet - put in plastic bag - add soy sauce - grill over charcoal with hickory &/or apple wood,etc. chips - salt, pepper, garlic powder - bast with soy sauce left in bag. I also utilize a basket for fish fillets to faciltate turning them and real butter on top - when it gets hot enough to melt the butter - turn it - do the other side - bast it - more butter - enjoy! Simple - easy!

3. Take fillet - cut into chunks (bite size or bigger) - get two pots of boiling water - handful of salt in each - boil in first pot 3 minutes - remove to second pot for 6 minutes - serve with melted butter (real). This is like lobster, but maybe a little better!
    smoltguy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Recipe's For Bad Tasting Kings? 2008/09/10 10:34:39 (permalink)
    If you fillet it, make sure you slice off the gray/dark meat under the skin.  That will take some of the strong taste away and since it is fatty tissue, it will remove some of the contaminants in the meat also.  Even the jewel of Lake Erie, the walleye, tastes better if you remove this dark area.
    McFishin
    Avid Angler
    RE: Recipe's For Bad Tasting Kings? 2008/09/10 11:11:26 (permalink)
    Thanks Guys! I'll have to give these a try. If nothing happens then I guess we won't be keeping anymore unless we get a fresh one. What about the browns/steelies? I'm a 99.9% C&R guy but I do enjoy the occasional fillet and a steelie/brown looks pretty tasty. Are they any different tasting than a regular stocker? I would assume they were since they spend most of thier lives in the lake? Good/Bad? input?
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Recipe's For Bad Tasting Kings? 2008/09/10 11:22:01 (permalink)
    Keep the trout fresh as mentioned above,and the smaller fish are better than the large ones.The larger trout tend to get a bit oily as they get older.In my opinion none of them are worth the trouble to try to keep fresh and get cleaned and transport home for food.I release everything.
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Recipe's For Bad Tasting Kings? 2008/09/10 11:23:05 (permalink)
    Bleed & prepare your steelies the same way. As stated, trim dark meat from side of fillet and eliminate belly fat! It's said that if there are any contaminates in a fish, it will be consentrated in the belly fat!
    McFishin
    Avid Angler
    RE: Recipe's For Bad Tasting Kings? 2008/09/10 12:06:45 (permalink)
    Cool deal. Thanks jon, smolt, and pa. i'm going to try to prepare our last bit of salmon one day this week in a way you guys described. if nothing happens then i guess it's all CPR for me(which is the norm for me anyway). have a great season and tight lines guys!
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Recipe's For Bad Tasting Kings? 2008/09/18 00:01:53 (permalink)
    I wouldn't bother trying to mask the muddy smelly fishy taste.. the fish are in decomposing stage once they get in the river! I tried them all and let all of them go .. even browns and steelies.. its the easiest way to enjoy a SR trip too.. no ice to worry no cleaning and it is most rewarding to know it is a sportsman that shares with others a fish to enjoy another day. CR of a fish on the SR is a good idea ..most if not all really aren't fit to eat.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Recipe's For Bad Tasting Kings? 2008/09/18 00:09:36 (permalink)
    i just like landing em on light tackle.. like to stay as light as possible when the crowds are gone.. put my gear and tackle to test some fighting trophy size fish! CR is the way to go! PA is right.
    McFishin
    Avid Angler
    RE: Recipe's For Bad Tasting Kings? 2008/09/18 00:11:18 (permalink)
    hey backin,
    after this past weekend,  i have given up on eating them. haha..you are right, there is no masking  the smell/taste...and you are right CR is the way to go ANYWHERE. but i do love salmon and we thought why not, guess we found out why not..ha...from now on its just fishin..
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Recipe's For Bad Tasting Kings? 2008/09/18 08:39:25 (permalink)
    Fresh run Kings are ok. Like a female with the eggs still tight in the mid size class.
    My wife loves Steelheads. Sometimes I like them, but not always.

Lyrical
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: Recipe's For Bad Tasting Kings? 2008/09/18 16:56:49 (permalink)
    Check the experation date on the tail. lol........... Seriously, the fresher the better it may taste. A good fresh silver fish is usually ok. Darker/more beat up, I give it back to mother nature and say thanks for the memories...go do your thing.

Smoking can help a little with the taste providing it's not that old. As stated above bleeding them out and keep them iced ASAP if your keeping them is a good way to go also. There's different types of rubs/seasonings you can try to liven it up.

I like to make up smoked Salmon salad just like you do with Tuna. Mayo, Salmon, garlic salt, tinge of red vinegar, fresh celery, mix it all up and it 's good.

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: Recipe's For Bad Tasting Kings? 2008/09/18 22:00:32 (permalink)
    I had a friend at work that raved about how good their canned salmon was. They actually had a group of people take all canning materials to their place of lodging and can their fish daily. They made a really big deal out of it and gave me a pint to try. It was canned in oil with some kind of other spices. As I opened the jar the smell was horrific and the entire thing went into the outside trash in a plastic bag never again to be repeated. It might work for oppossum , skunk or coon bait.

My first trip to B Dam, my son and I brought home about 30 pounds of fillets that I had smoked at a local shop. About 5 pounds went to the dogs and the rest into the trash. Never brought any back after that.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Recipe's For Bad Tasting Kings? 2008/09/19 05:18:08 (permalink)
    Why would you want to mask something that's tastes so bad it can't be eaten? Smoked isn't too bad----but even a smoked turd would prob be ok.

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: Recipe's For Bad Tasting Kings? 2008/09/19 07:42:22 (permalink)
    There isn't a salmonoid species in L. Ontario that I would consider eating anytime/anywhere.  They are horrible.  I used to live very close to Pulaski and certainly could have eaten trout/salmon everyday from the lake or the streams if I so chose.  They all taste like mud (some more than others) regardless of when or where they are caught.  Now Erie Steelheads, that is a different subject as they taste nothing like the Ontario fish.  I would wager that it is a combination of factors, from diet to pollutants (perhaps related).
    pafishingirl
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: Recipe's For Bad Tasting Kings? 2008/09/19 08:29:47 (permalink)
    see now my families different we love the salmon up there we smoke it and make patties out of it just needs a bit of seasonings mix it with tuna and crab for a great patty
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: Recipe's For Bad Tasting Kings? 2008/09/19 08:40:58 (permalink)
    That is the problem...  You need to dress them up heavily with other "dinner" foods to hide (not erase) the taste.  Give me a L. Erie Steelie or Walleye (or Oneida Walleye), a couple of lemons, some onions, and a little black pepper and I am a happy camper...  Try that with a L. Ontario fish and honestly try to tell me that it tastes good.  If you ever served L. Ontario fish in a restaurant (assuming that was a legal practice), you would go out of business within two months.
    bigbear2012
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 725
    RE: Recipe's For Bad Tasting Kings? 2008/09/19 08:53:51 (permalink)
    here's an old recipie
    but its about the best one going
    for king
    'specially those late in the season

bleed them out asap
    get them on ice

when you clean them make sure to
    get rid of the dark vein by the latorial line
    and any fatty tissue

then
    soak it in soy sauce overnight
    alittle lemon and salt and pepper in the mix is good too

find a nice 1x6 pine board about 2 ft long
    put the fish on it
    bake for 20 minutes @ 350*

take it out of the oven,
    scrape the fish off into the dogs dish
    eat the board!!!

wishin i was fishin
    TugHillbilly
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Recipe's For Bad Tasting Kings? 2008/09/20 22:11:15 (permalink)
    I'm generally not a huge fan of salmon to begin with no matter how fresh it is, but here's how my grandad always made it and I always liked it this way...

1. Start with hardwood (actual chunks of hickory or apple are best but charcoal and smoking chips work too)
    2. Sit back with a couple beers and a good book while it burns down to coals, if using charcoal eliminate this step
    3. Cut the fillets into 3-4 inch pieces and wrap a couple slices of good bacon around the fillets
    4. Seal in tin foil packets and grill until bacon is done, few minutes on each side should be fine
    5. When its all done, squeeze a slice of lemon over it

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6355
    RE: Recipe's For Bad Tasting Kings? 2008/09/20 22:21:28 (permalink)
    brown_trt,
         As you have discoveded they taste like crap.  And I agree with the other posts about the fresher the better.  Lake caught is the best.  Steelies should be fresh silver too.  Browns are good untill they get too far up stream and have been eating King eggs for too long.
          If you can get a good fresh fish clean it as instructed.  Remove all the fat and the lateral line.  Also I try to remove the strip at the top of the fillet if it is too close to the spine.
         Take the fillet and cut it into trout sized strips.  Put in aluminum foil on a grill with a little oil some bay and butter.  Close the aluminum and grill for about 3-4 minutes.  Open the foil add more butter and some salt/lemon, turn over and grill for about 3-4 minutes till the meat gets flakey.  Tasts much better.  But the fish have to be fresh, Fresh, fresh.   Another great way to prepare browns is to clean the fish well, mix up a stuffing of crabmeat and bread, spices and butter; stuff the body with the stuffing and bake on the grill till done.  The spices and crab add to the brown trout. and baked trout is very good.  Cook till the stufing looses most of it's wetness.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Recipe's For Bad Tasting Kings? 2008/09/21 16:25:24 (permalink)
    I use to bring fish home and tried all kinds of recipes from smoking to marinades, frying/grilling /baking.. I never tried erie fish  but did have fresh washington state steehead i caught that were unbelievebly good.. I ate fish from ontario small browns from the lake that were pretty good.. maybe even less fishy than the browns from inland catskill lakes I fish. The truth is most folks even people who like seafood /fish say these fish over 3 to 4 lbs tend to have a strong oily fishy taste  if not prepared right.. I tried native river browns and they are somewhat fishery than the least of the  fishy browns trout this being anual stocked hatchery browns. They as you know are the least fishy tasting and can be fried skin and all. We know nothing beats a native brook trout for the pan. Generally any trout that is less than 3 lbs  will be better for the table than the bigger older fish.. also contaminants are a concern in that these older fish have larger concentrations for concern. They are like baterrys charging.. the longer they swim and eat the polluted chain food.. the higher they are charged with higher levels  of pcb's metals etc. Because of the niagra escarpment dioxin leaking into this lake, these downstream waters in ontario are the least clean of the great lakes as I understand it. Dioxin, is one of manmades most deadliest chemicals to our environment.
    Jump to: