Lake Arthur

Author
Deadbolt401
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3029
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/09 22:08:03 (permalink)

Lake Arthur

I'll be heading up arthur thursday night for some Cats and whatever else will bite. I'm looking for some eater catfish. And maybe some panfish.

Any tips on where to go, or what to use. Please let me know, any help is appreciated.

I was thinking cutcreek chubs, emeralds, chicken liver and some others.

Thanks again.

8 Replies Related Threads

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9692
    RE: Lake Arthur 2008/09/10 12:31:32 (permalink)
    Deadbolt,

From what I have read on here in the past, the catfish start to take on a funny taste when the weeds get thick on the lake.  There is definitely some weed growth going on under the surface.  Not sure if you can bleed them right away or something to avoid the taste difference?  Maybe soak in milk over night?

I've caught bullheads in the deeper water by the cabins / dam, night fishing.  They weren't too big.  I caught a nice 24" channel while fishing with a sassy shad in some timber, looking for panfish during the day.  Took me for a little ride on my kayak.  I was a bit concerned that it was a musky or pike, and wasn't going to offer it a ride on board if it was... 

I'd fish near the beach areas for cats, if I were to target them.  Makes sense to me, that they'd be into the kicked up bottom, injured panfish that took 10 pictures with Johnny, Mom, Dad, Granny, Uncle Joe, ect., not to mention the table scraps that are thrown in.  Just make sure you don't get gated in...

Good luck

Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lake Arthur 2008/09/12 12:16:48 (permalink)
    Welp, went up last night from 5-12. Caught 1 smallmouth. 1. used Creek Chubs, emerald shiners, and bluegill. Fished by the beach in the beginning, then went to the 528 bridge.

Some guy beside us caught a nice 30 inch 15lb flat. I didn't. I couldn't catch a cold. Days like that slam your confidence. Couldn't get worse.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lake Arthur 2008/09/12 14:08:07 (permalink)
    I guess that proved my hypothosis incorrect...

Want some other "good" advice? (That will probably be a waste of time too...).  Crayfish should be molting this weekend and early next week (full moon).  Rocky shore lines and other places that you know they hide, might be worth fishing at.  The fish are their for softshelled crawfish, so that may be the only bait to go for?  But then again, they could be hungry, and take a different bait? 

I'll hopefully be using this same "advantage" in the salt soon.  Supposedly makes many ocean creatures go nuts.  I'll be casting plugs into the NJ jetties in a few days, so likely not make it out locally this weekend. 

Hopefully Ike doesn't make it's way to me when I'm there...  I had to deal with Hanna, on the Yough last weekend.  Kind of strange being blown upstream on a river... 
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lake Arthur 2008/09/12 14:56:10 (permalink)
    lol I hear ya brother, I think lake arthur has beaten me this year. I'll stick around here. If I'm driving north this fall/winter its to erie.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lake Arthur 2008/09/17 19:58:55 (permalink)
    If anyone cares, I attempted my full moon theory on the beach of Lavalette, NJ.  First night fished, got two flounder.  The second evening / night (yesterday), I caught a 29" red drum, a bunch of sea robins and a small bluefish.  Not the insane action that I was hoping for, but the drum kicked all kinds of butt!  It took 3 pretty nice runs on me, before riding a wave into shore.  The other guys on the beach, were talking about a bunch of bait fish showing up, but I didn't see much.  If anyone is thinking to do a beach trip, it is starting to heat out there.  6 hour drive is pretty rough, but if you have a reason to be in the area, take along the gear.
    luvinbluegills
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Lake Arthur 2008/09/18 13:07:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Deadbolt401

Welp, went up last night from 5-12. Caught 1 smallmouth. 1. used Creek Chubs, emerald shiners, and bluegill. Fished by the beach in the beginning, then went to the 528 bridge.

Some guy beside us caught a nice 30 inch 15lb flat. I didn't. I couldn't catch a cold. Days like that slam your confidence. Couldn't get worse.

Don't feel too bad. I've been fishing there for years, some summers several days a week, and I've NEVER seen a Flathead in Arthur. I didn't even think there were any in there.

Faith is only as good as its object
    Adventures with Fish
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lake Arthur 2008/09/18 13:11:42 (permalink)
    maybe it wasn't a flat then, sure looked like one. Coulda be a native norweigen nocturnal musky
    luvinbluegills
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Lake Arthur 2008/09/19 10:42:07 (permalink)
    Lol! 

Faith is only as good as its object
    Adventures with Fish
    Jump to: