Yough River/Need Help

Author
GadaboutGaddus
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 131
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/09 17:49:10 (permalink)

Yough River/Need Help

Calling for smallhook or 71GTO! Anyone out there? Have a few questions regarding a new location. Buena Vista Area. Did quite well on poppers. It was really neat. Would like to know if you guys have ever fished this section for smallies. Got into some real deep water along the bike trail side. Could not wade the whole way across the river, too deep! This is below the boat launch. Walked and fish about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile down stream. Nice looking water but would like some of the finer points of this locale. Thanks for the help!

May your fly rod always be bent!

9 Replies Related Threads

Estimated
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 191
    RE: Yough River/Need Help 2008/09/09 19:05:16 (permalink)
    You found my Honey hole.........just kidding thats a good place to fish there not to many people fish it hard for smallies. 
    Jetboater
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: Yough River/Need Help 2008/09/09 20:02:51 (permalink)
    Boated through there for the first time 2 weeks ago.  Is that launch ramp public or private?  Anything special I should know before I use it?  Was thinking of taking my nephew's kid down there for some catfishin'

Thanks for any info...
    71gto
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: Yough River/Need Help 2008/09/09 20:09:49 (permalink)
    Gadabout,

I have always fished that portion of the river for eyez, not smallmouth, as I typically do not target smallmouth. And yes you need to be careful up there as there are deep holes. There is a very nice channel that runs down the Buena Vista side of the river and further down it moves over to the other side of the river. Alot of nice eyez there for sure, you ought to give it a try sometimes. Also, up from Buena Vista there is some nice smallmouth fishing, there used to be a huge tree that I used as a marker, not sure if it is still there. If you are ever free through the week and can fish all day, let me know and I can go.

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto!
    GadaboutGaddus
    Avid Angler
    RE: Yough River/Need Help 2008/09/09 20:19:30 (permalink)
    71GTO, I wish I could go during the week but work calls. Thanks for the offer. I did fish a slow bit of water about 1/2 upstream from the boat launch. Did really good on top water poppers. Smallies exploded on them as soon as I started to pop them. Nothing real big but fun. The launch there I believe is public. When I was leaving that evening, I saw four to five people fishing from the shore at the big hole at the launch and one boat in the water across the river. The Yough river is truly a great river we have here in Western PA. Don't let the secret out too much though. Just kidding!

smallhook
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 964
    RE: Yough River/Need Help 2008/09/09 20:24:23 (permalink)
    When I was young I fished that area alot.  I grew up next to Elizabeth-Forward high school and lots of my friends lived in Buena Vista (and still do), I fished it alot.  There is alot of catfish in that deep water along the bike trail and I know some guys that don't want you to know that.  For the last 20 years or so I don't go much down past the Sutersville bridge but maybe once or twice a year. The water gets too wide for me, if you know what I mean. 
    GadaboutGaddus
    Avid Angler
    RE: Yough River/Need Help 2008/09/09 22:26:23 (permalink)
    I appreciate the reply smallhook! How have you been? I have just been trying a few new areas on the Yough. New scenery, and a new adventure everytime you go!

Estimated
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 191
    RE: Yough River/Need Help 2008/09/10 09:30:02 (permalink)
    Try a Rooster tail in that area ten years ago i used to get alot out of there nothing to big but like you said fun stuff.
    smallhook
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 964
    RE: Yough River/Need Help 2008/09/10 20:26:02 (permalink)
    I've been good Gadabout.  The dark comes too close to when I get off work to fish more than an hour or so in the evenings. I've been fishin little stretchs of the Sewickely that are fairly close to my house.  Small bass, Bluegills and creek chubs.  I know there are some big ones in there but I haven't found them in the last several weeks.  I've been catchin smallies in the Mon during my lunch hour in Elizabeth right up from the barge in the thick weeds using a small rubber worm with a split ring in the middle.  I hook the hook right to the split ring and twitch it on my flyrod.  I'm not crushing `em the on the Mon but I am catchin them.
    fish4livin
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Yough River/Need Help 2008/09/19 11:42:31 (permalink)
    That whole section is good to walk / wade pretty much from May on.  Make sure you don't throw any slug go's or small rapalas...they wont' catch em.  haha
    Jump to: