Getting 'em in the Lake

Author
mgolf92
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 378
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/06 16:15:45 (permalink)

Getting 'em in the Lake

What would be a good technique to catch Steelies/Browns in the lake at the mouths while fly fishing?  I'm probably gonna go out in my float tube tomorrow, weather depending.  I'm thinking a short sink-tip, short leader, and streamers.  Sound good?  I'd appreciate any advice from anyone who fly fishes for them in the lake.  Thanks.

Mike

7 Replies Related Threads

tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Getting 'em in the Lake 2008/09/06 16:28:14 (permalink)
    I think you should go with your instincts...sink tip and streamers sound resonable to me....never did it before, but thats what I would try.

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Getting 'em in the Lake 2008/09/06 16:46:12 (permalink)
    No real need for a sink tip. You're talking less than 8ft. of water, and no-litte current.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    worm_waster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: Getting 'em in the Lake 2008/09/06 18:56:58 (permalink)
    A sink tip is indeed a good idea if you have one.  To get an unweighted fly down 4 feet during a steady stripping retrieve one will need split shot and sink tips are much easier to cast. 

If you just plan to do it a couple of times deal with the splitshot.w_w.

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1495
    RE: Getting 'em in the Lake 2008/09/06 21:05:00 (permalink)
    streamers I'd say. Very effective personally.
    Screamin Steel
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 246
    RE: Getting 'em in the Lake 2008/09/07 03:14:07 (permalink)
    I'd bring a boat anchor for your float tube. If not, you may be in for the ride of your life....of course, you could always leave the rod at home and do it solely for the adrenaline rush, and the entertainment value for the onlooking boaters and wade fishermen. Nothing like impersonating a donut in a storm drain.                                                     
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2984
    RE: Getting 'em in the Lake 2008/09/07 08:29:06 (permalink)
    I have no experience fishing from a float tube, only from shore. Mostly I fish off the beach during the evenings and then only if we have a southernly wind or dead calm conditions.

I catch just as many fish off shore with a floating line and weighted streamers as i do with sink tips. If it sees it, the fish will come up to eat it if it wants to. You only need to get it down a couple of feet. I do an use intermeriate 15ft tip if I'm fishing unweighted streamers tied with boyant material. (bucktail) 
    I can see advantages of a weighted line if you're fishing from a float tube in deeper water. Getting it down quickly. In fact, if casting towards Canada, a running line with a 30' head would be a way to cover a lot of water. But from My experience, the players will take it up in the column.
    If you do use a sink tip, get one with a density compensated tip. It will keep the rig in a straighter line instead of a bow or shallow U shape.

Gone Fishing
    mgolf92
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 378
    RE: Getting 'em in the Lake 2008/09/07 14:54:39 (permalink)
    Alright, Thanks.  I'll be heading out shortly and leaving the float tube at home.  No need to make things more difficult than they need to be, right?  Plus I'm going with my stepdad and with only one tube we wouldn't be able to do much bonding!  One last question...  at what mouth would I find more fish?  I'm thinking Trout Run, but have also considered Walnut and Elk.  PM if you feel it appropriate.
    Jump to: