Griffin Spider Vise

Author
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/05 10:22:09 (permalink)

Griffin Spider Vise

...also known as the Spider Oddesy Vise?

I've been browsing fly-tying equipment, and  it looks like most of the tools are actually fairly reasonably priced, as well as the materials (except some of that hackle that gets a bit pricey...).  The vise however, seems to be the biggest wallet-excavator.  Since I'm brand new at this, I want an inexpensive vise, but one that wont frustrate me away from the hobby by not performing adequately.

I've seen this Griffin Spider Vise advertised in several online locales, as well as a Griffin Oddesy Spider vise.  Are these the same thing?  Also, FishUSA sells a Griffin 2A (I'm not hellbent on getting a Griffin, but they seem to be the only big-name manufacturer with equipment in my price range)...anyone own any of these, or have past experience with them?  Are they any good?

I've read several descriptions and reviews of these, and read up on relevant posts in the forum over the past several months, but I wanted to see what you guys had to say about these.

16 Replies Related Threads

D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Griffin Spider Vise 2008/09/05 10:27:18 (permalink)
    I've had a Griffin Patriot Vise for 7 years.  It's done me well, but the jaws are getting all chipped up after 7 years and several thousand ties.  7 years is an acceptable term of use for me though, I'm ready for an upgrade.

I'm not familiar with the models you've mentioned though.
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    RE: Griffin Spider Vise 2008/09/05 11:00:36 (permalink)
    I looked up the Spider vise, and one comment.  A friend has that vise, I don't like tying on it, he's fine with it.  My reason is, it's a **** getting hooks placed properly in it, because the jaws clamp down by turning the knobs.  It's sometimtes hard to get the hooks to stay put.  I'd recommend spending a couple more bucks if you think you're going to start tying and getting a cam type vise.  The kind that close the jaws by using a lever instead.  Hooks go in and out so much easier, and eliminates alot of frustration.  It's a real pain when you get part way through a fly and it slips out of the vise jaws.

But that's just my personal preference.

I've never used Apex, but this is the type I'd look into.  http://www.fishusa.com/Anvil-Apex-Vise_p.html?i=052F4BF5539E481E923329A78A2DA79A

My Patriot was $99 when I bought it. http://www.griffinenterprisesinc.com/images/vises/patriot.jpg

This one is a nice priced cam vise.  http://www.griffinenterprisesinc.com/images/vises/mt-pro-vise.jpg

http://www.griffinenterprisesinc.com/vises.html

I also prefer table top style to C-clamp.  But it depends on where you'll do your majority of tying.
    post edited by D-nymph - 2008/09/05 11:01:46
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Griffin Spider Vise 2008/09/05 11:29:07 (permalink)
    What (mechanically speaking), makes the threaded clamping device inferior to the cam?  I can certainly understand speed (flipping open the cam would be much faster than loosening a pair of knobs), but once you've got the hook in and tightened down, I wouldn't think it would matter how you got it tight.  Still, I have no experience with this, which is why I'm asking.  Obviously, you've encountered an issue I never thought of.
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    RE: Griffin Spider Vise 2008/09/05 12:04:58 (permalink)
    It's probably a personal preference.  I'm not sure that there's an issue with one being inferior to another.  The cam probably locks hooks in there tighter than you could possibly lock them in with the threaded wheel.  You'll be surprised how much force can be applied with that thread when tying without the thread breaking.

But I'm used to the cam, it's really easy and quick to use.  And my buddy has no trouble with the treaded clamping. 

With the cam, say you're goint to tie a dozen #10 wooly buggers.  You use the wheels to get close to the hook size, and the cam to lock the hook in place.  Then all you have to do is work the lever for each fly.  The threaded wheel, you have to unscrew and rescrew each time.  Probably doesn't seem like an issue, and for many it probably isn't.  But for me, it saves time, and is simpler with a cam.

Just something to think about.

A new tier might also want to just go super cheap and buy a $20 vise first.  If they like it, spend $150 or more next year.  If they don't like it, or don't use it often, no big deal.  That's the route I took when I started.  But you'll get a bunch of different opinions on that probably.
    post edited by D-nymph - 2008/09/05 12:06:42
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Griffin Spider Vise 2008/09/05 12:35:49 (permalink)
    Thanks for the clarification.  I dont doubt that the mechanical advantage imparted by the cam grips tighter than a finger-tightened thread...I mean, a cam-locking jaw is more or less the priciple that vise-grips use.

As far as a $20 vise...that might be the way to go for me, if I could find one that would work well.  I'm not expecting it to surpass my wildest dreams, but like you said, something to help wet my feet, after which I could upgrade once I figure out what I like and what features I'd like to have in a vise.  Can you (or anyone else!) recommend any of those, and do any of them feature a cam closure device (or is that like a top-o-the-line feature)?
    clinchknot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 831
    RE: Griffin Spider Vise 2008/09/05 20:28:25 (permalink)
    I'll tell you how it worked for me. My better half bought me a fly tying kit for Christmas one year. It had the usual stationary vice with it and that was fine for a while (about 2 months). Then I just HAD to upgrade. Don't get me wrong, that vice worked just fine and I still take it with me to the tribs to whip out a quick fly or two when I need to, but I wanted a good rotory for home. I ended up getting a renzetti presentation 2000. It'll handle hooks from 4/0 down to 28 and has a cam lock. This is the best tying investment I've made yet. Just my 2 cents.

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Griffin Spider Vise 2008/09/05 21:48:24 (permalink)
    Cold,

I bought a Dan-Vise about 3 years and I like it, especially for the cash.  They are rotary vices however, they are not a true rotary.  For my tying I really did not feel it was neccessary for a $200+ true rotary.  If you don't get a rotary you will be losing out, they are great for a number of applications.  I think I paid right around $75 for the vice.  Just for an indicator I probably tie roughly 500 flies a year. 
    go-n-fishn
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 225
    RE: Griffin Spider Vise 2008/09/05 22:08:38 (permalink)
    I bought a Dan-vise 5 or 6 years ago before that I used a regal and still do use it once and a while. But I leave the Dan-Vise set up all the time at my desk. For the price you can't beat it.
    fcflyguy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Griffin Spider Vise 2008/09/05 22:18:56 (permalink)
    I use a griffen moongoose non cam style
    check out flytyingfourm lots of info for tying
    FC

tied to throw not for show
    smallhook
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 964
    RE: Griffin Spider Vise 2008/09/06 15:22:30 (permalink)
    I love my Peak.
    flirod4evr
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 208
    RE: Griffin Spider Vise 2008/09/06 15:32:54 (permalink)
    I have a griffin spyder vise and it couldn't be better. The knob is just as easy to use as a cam and just as quick if not quicker. I tye a lot of flies over a wide range of sizes and it hasnt yet dissapointed me. I have had it for almost a year and not a probem. If you must have a cam closure griffin does make other vises that use the cam lock jaws. I would stay away from renzetti's in my opinion they are way to overpriced and I dont see why so many people spend so much money on a vise. You cant tell me that 600 dollars isn't to much for a vise.

I'm very familiar with the terms "RUN AND GUN" and "FISH ON!"

"They're in here I can smell 'em"
    clinchknot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 831
    RE: Griffin Spider Vise 2008/09/06 23:33:22 (permalink)
    I didn't pay half that for my renzetti. My point was he would eventually want to upgrade. I would put my vice up against any other on the market. Choice of brand is totally up to you and a personal decision.
    NotherOne
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: Griffin Spider Vise 2008/09/08 20:56:40 (permalink)
    after 20 trouble free years with my old thompson a , i bought a dan-vice.

its plastic, it wobbles,i have found no use for the rotary thingy  ,there is NO room to get your fingers behind it.    i did 50 eggs, 50 crystal spawn and 50 sucker spawn on it.  

i put it back in the box.  to each their own. 
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 981
    RE: Griffin Spider Vise 2008/09/09 08:39:47 (permalink)
    I also tie with an old thompson B vise that i've had since the 60's i think. It is far from the greatest but for tying the sizes i use 8's to maybe 16's it works fine. I often think about upgrading but don't tie enough to justify it in my opinion.

I'd say try some resonable priced vise's till you find what you like then go from there. From what i've read on several forums rotary is the way to go if you'll tie enough to justify it.
    pgh_flytier
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 249
    RE: Griffin Spider Vise 2008/09/09 09:19:32 (permalink)
    I got the Dan Vise three years ago and I really like it. For the price(about 75 dollars) it can't be beat. I waited until SportsWarehouse had their ten percent off sale.
    smallhook
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 964
    RE: Griffin Spider Vise 2008/09/09 10:34:09 (permalink)
    I really like those Anvil vices.  Rock solid.  There is video's of a guy using a drill chuck to tie some pretty good flies.  I guess as long as it holds the hook good any vice is ok.  For the money I like my Peak.  I paid $120 for it when Gander Mountain liquidated them.
    Jump to: