Killing

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
juddthejudge
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 68
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Killing 2007/03/28 20:42:17 (permalink)
heck i shot a couple starlings this winter with a bb gun and im 23
carpin06
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 498
RE: Killing 2007/03/29 08:52:50 (permalink)
I killed every thing that was in range...throwing or shooting..
throwing rocks at pigons under the bridge...
then come the paper clips and gumbands
Man i could take a roch off Bobby Mahony lip from two booths away at the KFC..
after2or3 trys and he stoped wiggling to check his vision
Then once we all had bb guns the neighbors were cleaning starlings from the chimny cleanout all summer....
Yes my two sons are the same and i too have grown up the 50$ fine thing for singing birds still works.. while i watch them anyway...
In most of our lives boys will be boys..
Teach them well Love them more all will be good!!!!
tippy-toe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4334
RE: Killing 2007/04/04 18:34:04 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: T.T.

I eat what I kill, and I only kill what I eat.  Now.

Someday, I'll get a chance to kill a coyote, then that statement can't be made, but until then...

Is it right to let your kids shoot chipmunks or little "sputzy" birds with a bb-gun for practice?  I sure did plenty of that when I was a kid, and I'm pretty good at shooting animals now.  I just have a problem letting my kids go off and do that now.  Hypocritical?  Educated?  I'm not sure.  I do know that they get plenty of practice shooting cans.  But, cans can't fly away while you're adjusting your aim.  They can't run to the other side of the tree if you shift your weight.  Something to ponder.

Nothing to ponder. The answer is NO, let them practice on targets. That's what those things are made for "catch my drift". Don't get me wrong I  started hunting a few years ago, because I got tired of begging for deer meat from my buddies.

Killing and using the animal is a valuable lesson.
Killing to practice shooting is a poor lesson.

Read the last two posts....I rest my case.

post edited by tippy-toe - 2007/04/04 18:39:28

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
T.T.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1656
RE: Killing 2007/04/04 21:26:39 (permalink)
Killing coyotes is really a necessity.  Man being the ultimate predator, it really is up to us to control the predator populations.  I wouldn't be using the animal, except for target practice.  The same goes for groundhogs.  I know some people eat them, but they simply would be target practice for the children and I, while clearing those tractor breakers out for the farmers.  Do you differentiate?
tippy-toe
Pro Angler
RE: Killing 2007/04/04 21:38:15 (permalink)
I understand killing for pest control. Are coyotes a real pest in your area?
I have friends that grew up in Western PA, and I know some have the attitude...

If its brown its down,
If it hops it drops,
If it flies it dies....

It's this type of indiscriminate killing that I think is wrong and not a good lesson in conservation for our youth.

tippy-toe
Pro Angler
RE: Killing 2007/04/04 21:44:16 (permalink)
Just so you don't think I'm some kind of tree hugging, PETA holier than thou veggie head, here,s a pic of my first kill

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

T.T.
Pro Angler
RE: Killing 2007/04/04 22:20:02 (permalink)
This is T.T. yer talkin' to.  I know you kill feesh, so there's no way I would have accused you of those hideous attributes.  I have been killing creatures for over 3 decades now, the first probably being a little helpless bird.  No wait.  Frogs.  That was it.  I remember catching a frog and using it as a driver in my Tonka truck, then rolling the thing down a hill.   

As for intentional death, it would have been a bird.  I haven't looked back, until now.  It's amazing how having children will cause a person to regret the senseless acts of their own youth. 
tippy-toe
Pro Angler
RE: Killing 2007/04/04 22:39:45 (permalink)
We don't want our children to have the same regrets as we do... It only proves that you are human.

BTW it was a bird for me also, blew the head clean of off a woodpecker, and 20 years later I still regret pulling that trigger. Thats why I couldn't bring myself to hunt deer until 2 years ago.

T.T.
Pro Angler
RE: Killing 2007/04/04 22:51:57 (permalink)
BTW- nice doe.  Yer gonna catch crap for that pic, but not from me.  Meat is meat, and the more of it in my freezer, the happier my whole family is. 

Quick story:  My sister in law calls me and asks me what she should do for my bro when he gets home tonight.  He's been in Buffalo setting up a new warehouse for the company he works for, and she wanted to know what he would want.  They've been married for 3 years, and together for 6.  Duh!!!  Cook the man some deer frikin' meat.  He killed it!  I even told her that I'd cook it for her, but she told me she'd totally forgotten about it, and she cooks it the way he likes it now.  Frikin' women!!!  Cook the man some of the meat he harvested, pour him a beer, and **** him!  What else would he want?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?
IUP30
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 376
RE: Killing 2007/04/04 23:08:55 (permalink)
LOL T.T. -- so someone doesn't catch all the ****... here's my first deer that I got last year.  Yes, first EVER last year and it was with the bow.  Even though it was a doe, I'm very proud of my harvest as it took me 3 years to finally cash in and release the arrow.

IUP30
Expert Angler
RE: Killing 2007/04/04 23:10:04 (permalink)
OK - let me try that again...

pghmarty
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5951
RE: Killing 2007/04/04 23:14:45 (permalink)

LOL T.T. -- so someone doesn't catch all the ****... here's my first deer that I got last year.  Yes, first EVER last year and it was with the bow.  Even though it was a doe, I'm very proud of my harvest as it took me 3 years to finally cash in and release the arrow.

post edited by pghmarty - 2007/04/04 23:16:07

T.T.
Pro Angler
RE: Killing 2007/04/04 23:16:30 (permalink)
Uhm, what you doin' Marty?  Hittin' the crack pipe?  He got it to work.
pghmarty
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5951
RE: Killing 2007/04/04 23:19:04 (permalink)
He got it at the same time

yungguru
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 170
RE: Killing 2007/04/05 01:28:43 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: IUP30

OK - let me try that again...

yu gutt shott it
nerrd
IUP30
Expert Angler
RE: Killing 2007/04/05 07:18:16 (permalink)
Actually, I did get lucky with this deer.  When I shot her, it was first light and still somewhat dark as she was right on the edge of a clear cut.  I released my arrow and saw it hit a small branch and deflect and it hit her waaaaay back -- I was instantly sick.  Sick up until I saw her go down not 35 yards from my stand and I could see her laying there.  Luckily the deflection hit her directly in the femoral artery and it was lights out. 

I've actually heard of a guy who will aim for the femoral artery on doe if that's the only shot he has -- not what I would do and unethical in my opinion.  This wasn't how I wanted to take my first deer but that's how it played out for me. 
T.T.
Pro Angler
RE: Killing 2007/04/05 15:14:40 (permalink)
You did the best you could, and got very lucky.  It's a good thing you stayed put and got to see her drop.  Too many fools would have gone down and pushed her away.  If the area behind you is the clearcut, that makes my first observation wrong.  I was thinking that's some thick chit back there.  Just the way the pic was taken, I'm sure.  Good job.
raccoon bandit
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 112
RE: Killing 2007/04/26 01:02:57 (permalink)
I guess most farm kids shot birds and such with BB guns. But we were not allowed too. That is an important difference. Shooting most song birds is illegal. Therefore you cannot in good faith teach your kids to shoot them. Teach your children to be the best kids you can, they will fall short on their own. One thing I taught my boys was that chipmunks show themselves before the squirrells. If you shoot the chipmunks you never even see the squirrell. To reitterate, teach your kids to be law abiding respectful people. If you have it in you, teach them to be noble, to do the right thing because it is right, not because they are afraid to get caught. Most folks fall short of their ideals, no sense aiming low to begin with.
Wally Cat
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1073
RE: Killing 2007/04/26 08:17:44 (permalink)
As a child I used a slingshot and bow for most of my adventures.....of course we lived within the city limits with houses on three sides of us. The bow accounted for several out of season rabbits and the slingshot took birds regularly just about anywhere I went....even a few of the neighbors piegons which I cleaned and my mom cooked for me.

I've eaten, groundhog, oppossum and raccoons and found none to be offensive eating. Depending how they are fixed - it's all good.

Do I feel guilty about some of the killing I did then? No! Just seemed like the natural thing to do then. Now I'm a lot more selective as to when, what, how and why I kill something. And in doing so I try to be as humane as possible so as not to cause the critter a lot of undue stress. I have intentionaly passed up many "hail mary" shots at animals knowing that the chances of just wounding it was very high. That goes for small as well as big game.  Two years ago I passed on a questionable shot on a nice buck only to have that same animal four days later present itself to me for a perfect shot. I sometimes think that as I matured the experiences of my youth(hunting/killing) gave me a better understanding and appreciation of life today.

I have seven children 5 girls and 2 boys with all but one girl and one boy that now hunts and fishes and I can recall them using a BB gun to shoot sputzies. They all, as well as myself, seem to be well adjusted people(I think?) - for whatever well adjusted or nornal is these days.
post edited by Wally Cat - 2007/04/26 08:19:10

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
Author..... Wally Cat
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Killing 2007/04/26 09:40:47 (permalink)
  I hate to admit but here on the farm when we were 8-15 yrs old. We spent alot of our hard earned money on 22 shells. There was basically nothing safe. We never shot cats or dogs or farm critters. But birds, woodchucks, chippies all fair game. Egg we even tried to shoot fish. Not the safest act in the world.
  Now I only shoot a buck if he's going to be mounted. I will take a small doe in early archery for meat..Tastey that time of year. I love to shoot woodchucks for the farmers in the area. I also like to shoot AT long beards with the bow..
 I guess over the years I have lost the blood lust of younger days. I now feel a saddened respect for the animal after I have harvested it and really hate to see any animal killed just because one is able to.Don't get me wrong nuisance critters are fair game..
  This will be a dilemma for me in a few years as I have a 3 year old that already wants to be just like dad and do the things that I do..We can't have that I lost my bb gun for 6mos when I was 8 because a friend and I decided to shoot out all the windows in my dad's new garage. Boy did I get my****tanned for that...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

T.T.
Pro Angler
RE: Killing 2007/04/26 09:43:49 (permalink)
  3 great posts, guys!

"If you have it in you, teach them to be noble, to do the right thing because it is right, not because they are afraid to get caught. Most folks fall short of their ideals, no sense aiming low to begin with."

Most wise!
post edited by T.T. - 2007/04/26 09:46:38
T.T.
Pro Angler
RE: Killing 2007/04/26 09:47:30 (permalink)
"I also like to shoot AT long beards with the bow.."

Amish?
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: Killing 2007/04/26 09:51:53 (permalink)
Here in spartansburg you have about a 50/50 chance of calling in a long beard of either kind...

T.T.
Pro Angler
RE: Killing 2007/04/26 10:31:54 (permalink)
That's just 'cause the book don't apply to them. 

"No stalking"  is just a suggestion.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: Killing 2007/04/26 11:38:52 (permalink)
And that is a feeling I do not like.. Having someone stalk you while you are calling..I usually stand up and go off on them..Very unsafe..Have only been stalked by one yankee but have it happen every year with straw hats...

T.T.
Pro Angler
RE: Killing 2007/04/26 11:48:54 (permalink)
I affectionately refer to them as low-beards.  They're moving their hunting territory north-west.  Seems they've over-hunted their own land, and have laid claim to the hillside I've hunted for a dozen years without ever seeing one anywhere near.  YES, I am bitter!!!  Posted signs mean nothing to them, let alone the rule book.  GRRRRRRR!
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: Killing 2007/05/22 21:41:28 (permalink)
Your problem would be the posted signs.. We figured out that NO TRESPASSING in their dialect means  HUNT HERE,,,,

thedrake
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: Killing 2007/05/23 18:47:44 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: tippy-toe

I understand killing for pest control. Are coyotes a real pest in your area?
I have friends that grew up in Western PA, and I know some have the attitude...

If its brown its down,
If it hops it drops,
If it flies it dies....

It's this type of indiscriminate killing that I think is wrong and not a good lesson in conservation for our youth.

Good post.

The "if its brown its down" mentality seems to be popular in the area I grew up in, and hunt. Oddly enough, the people with that mentality are the same one that complain about lower deer numbers.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: