Too quiet on here!

Author
earlysecond
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 212
  • Reward points: 0
2008/08/25 09:17:44 (permalink)

Too quiet on here!

All right, I will take a minute to break the silence.  I have been on the Erie board a lot recently after attempting to learn how to troll the big pond.  It was fun and we had some success.  I am not sure how many trips I could make to Erie in a year though.

Well, my fishing partner and I learned some advanced trolling techniques on Lake Erie.  We learned how to use dipsy divers.  Is there any reason that we cannot apply the same technology to the deeper portions of Raystown where we mark tons of fish in 50 Feet of Water?  First off, are these fish that we are marking game fish?  I am thinking lakers but I have no proof.  The aquaview camera did not reveal anything. 

MAJOR Assumptions (dangerous I know)
1. IF these are actually game fish, again assuming lakers, would they feed at that depth in the heat of summer?
2. What do lakers eat for bait?
3. Would a trolled down rigger/dipsy set up be successful assuming we could work out the depth?
4. Am I really crazy and that bored that I would hook up the boat and drag it down to the lake (YES!)

Earlier this spring I watched the PFBC stock 2 almost full trucks of baby lakers, they were between 8 and 10" and there were, seemingly millions, although it was less than 100K total.

I have never caught a lake trout and want to try.
Any striper success, I hear of some but with no tips as to depths or techniques

I will share that I have not been in a boat since we went to Erie.  We have spent more time exploring the river and catching bait (surprisingly plentiful for August) than we have fishing.  The couple of spots that we hit were really low, deadly low for some of the fish tryin to survive.  These reasons make me think that fish in 50 FOW might be feeding.  I just need a starting point.

Advice always appreciated, not looking for all of your secrets, just a start

Brent

PS-here is a picture of me from the big pond:
post edited by earlysecond - 2008/08/25 09:25:00

16 Replies Related Threads

Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: Too quiet on here! 2008/08/25 19:58:06 (permalink)
    TOO QUIET !!! WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YAAAAAAAAAAY BASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there hows that for quiet as for tips on the big lake ask polar bear he is the man see ya brent. pretty soon we will be chasin steel then things will heat up

I have become comfortably numb
    Screamin Steel
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 246
    RE: Too quiet on here! 2008/08/25 22:21:33 (permalink)
    Raystown is a two story fishery. You are likely marking lake trout. You can catch them on spoons off dipseys, but watch the submerged timber, tear you off real quick. Wait till cooler temps and they'll be closer to the surface and away from those **** trees! You'll also get awesome striper action and some huge muskies soon, as the fishing there is about to catch fire. When the surface temp nears 55 degrees the stripers will be blowing up on abit anywhere in the lake. The summer pattern in the lower end should be breaking up now, though early am or dead of night can still find fish hitting top near the dam breast. Troll large white bucktails with twister tails, or live bait...alewifes are taking more fish then shad right now.
    post edited by Screamin Steel - 2008/08/25 22:25:25
    peacymike
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 540
    RE: Too quiet on here! 2008/08/25 22:51:49 (permalink)
    i neaver tell what i catch. the lake  is deep and can hold big fish that,s it .you should see on a run
    gobyking
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1195
    RE: Too quiet on here! 2008/08/26 02:36:59 (permalink)
    F- OFFF directed at Peacy
    post edited by gobyking - 2008/08/26 16:16:38
    earlysecond
    Avid Angler
    RE: Too quiet on here! 2008/08/26 08:47:20 (permalink)
    Kokanee Killer- Sorry, you are just too Darn Loud- (a movie quote from Back to the Future)

Screamin Steel-  Thanks, I never really considered the standing timber as a predator of dispsys!  I mark it sometimes but you have a valid point.  My fishing partner is too old to fish at night or to get up early enough in the morning to catch stripers  LOL!  I really appreciate your advice.  If we try the trout before the lake rolls then we can use downriggers perhaps.  It is obvious to me that the PFBC wants this lake to remain a healthy Laker fishery as they make a pretty good investment in it.

I used to enjoy hunting until the last couple of years.  I have come to discover that my time may be better spent in a boat while most everyone else is in the woods.  I am much more confident that I will catch something that see something that I have an interest in killing!

To the other 2 replies.  Peacymike, not sure, but I think that earlier this spring maybe some guy with a screen name of Earlysecond told you exactly where the stripers were being caught and my PM included depths and techniques. . . maybe you would send me a PM and share JUST a bit of what you hinted that you know on a public forum.  I do completely understand your hesistancy to post on the board but any info, no matter how slim would be kind.

goby- not sure who you are yelling at.  If it IS ME then your idea is not originial as I am told this several X/day! LOL IF it is aimed at the previous poster, remember that it is not always a good idea to spill all of your details on the internet.  Maybe he will try to communicate with me via a PM.  He did once before when I had some advice that he wanted.

Thanks you all for replying to a post.  Seems a bit on the quiet side for me.  Must be because it is not trout season?

Brent
    boatnik13
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Too quiet on here! 2008/08/26 20:52:31 (permalink)
    Courious what kind of sight range you have at 50 ft. depth with your aqua-vu ? ( how big of a window ? ) Only the first 25 ft. depth contour was cleared of trees and then its > on your own from that point. Underwater camera will show you just how many false signals that depth / fish finders give you and  all finders do and so make sure your fish icon is off . Unless you have a target > just viewing into the depths with a underwater camera can draw miles of blank water untill something gets in the range of your viewing screen. Many items give off false signals such as air bubbles and sub surface clutter. I match my aqua-vu and the area of my depthfinder  so that the targets can be seen but not at 50 ft. knowing tree tops or tree stalks sit just 25 ft. deep from the surface at many places. Wish I could remember all who talk on sites about raystown success but for now I say your best time is mid October- November and March -May.
    earlysecond
    Avid Angler
    RE: Too quiet on here! 2008/08/26 23:31:58 (permalink)
    Thanks boatnik,

You bring some interesting insight to my questions.  Not at all a big window on the camera.  Scary just how many false signals sonar puts out.  I have not run my "finder" with fish icons for over a year, you become a little misled if you rely on that data with 100% confidence!  With the technique you use (combining both pieces of equiptment to come up with a "truer" picture)  Why do you see 50' or deeper (limited of course by the length of the camera cord) as a limit.  If the signals look stacked at 50' is there a reason that you believe that this depth makes the notion that a camera will help useless?  Yes light is limited, yes you would almost have to be sitting still to reach that depth.  But beyond those issues I am not sure what you see as an issue.  I thank you for that piece of insigh and the appropriate times to seek lakers. 

Thanks,
    Brent
    earlysecond
    Avid Angler
    RE: Too quiet on here! 2008/08/26 23:37:07 (permalink)
    gobyking,

Sorry I missed your edit.  I will let you and mike duke it out on your own.  If the person who answers to that screen name is the same person who PM'd me this spring looking for tips and then not delivering what he promised in return for the info offered. . .I may be able to understand your sentiment, not your form of expression necessarily, but a potiential reason why you may be upset.

While you are here do you have any laker input?  I can promise you that if you share info and I am successful I would be grateful and return any information that I can share.

Brent

At least it is not as quiet as it was LOL!
    Screamin Steel
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 246
    RE: Too quiet on here! 2008/08/27 03:15:21 (permalink)
    Earlysecond....if you got to stripers24/7 and pm a fella with the screen name of starsnstripers, he can get you pointed in the right direction. He fished a striper tourney there last weekend. Raystown is quickly becoming the most closed mouth lake I know of....guys just aren't telling with the pressure it's gotten in the last decade, plus rec boat traffic. I only know of one decent source for any current fishing report and it usually only follows the bass tourneys. Luckily, I have a few local connections to inside info from time to time. Keep in touch, esp in spring and I may be able to relay some to you.
    peacymike
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 540
    RE: Too quiet on here! 2008/08/27 08:15:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: gobyking

F- OFFF directed at Peacy
    when you e mail me you talk so nice  f-offf
    earlysecond
    Avid Angler
    RE: Too quiet on here! 2008/08/27 09:25:03 (permalink)
    Screamin Steel,

Thanks again for your reply.  I had a trip scheduled with a "friend of a friend" who has been on the stripers all summer (reportedly).  He offered to take us but we could never make the timing work out (pretty typical in my experiece of fishing with more than 2 guys).  Agian, I loved fishing Erie but can't make it there.  I can be on the lower end of Raystown in less than an hour even if I stop for a coffee or soda, this makes it much closer than Erie.  I have, in the past, hunted in Raystown country and found myself wishing that I was fishing when I saw boats dragging bait down on the lake.  I think it is time to put away the guns and try my hand at the whole thing.  The Erie trip forced us to learn to troll (not experts by any means yet)

I will likely reach out to the individual you recommended.  Is it OK to tell him that you sent me or shall I just approach it on my own?  When I seek advice, I never ask for locations, depths or anybody's deepest darkest fishing secrets.  I need a starting point as far as gear and tackle.  Half of the fun of finally catching somthing worth taking a picture of is figuring out how to do it!

Thanks again for the adviece.  I also see that the Raystown Striper club offeres similar information at their meetings for a nominal, annual fee.

To your point, Raystown is such a closed mouth fishery that you rarely ever hear of anyone being successful.  It does not help that thru most of the summer months one must become nocturnal to fish the place.

Thanks Again,
    Brent
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Too quiet on here! 2008/08/27 11:11:07 (permalink)
    Anyone who want's to learn the ropes of striped bass fishing should join the PSBA (Pennsylvania Striped Bass Assoc.). There is a great group of people there who are very willing to teach newcomers what they know. I met a lot of the members at their open tournament this past weekend.

http://fishpsba.com/

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    RE: Too quiet on here! 2008/08/29 11:53:51 (permalink)
    Don't know if it is possible in Raystown to fish this deep successfully, but in years past we would regularly pull lakers out of Erie from 75'-110' down on the riggers over 110-140' of water off of Barcelona, NY.  We would also catch nice sized walleyes down that deep.  Sometimes, our downrigger balls would be dragging the bottom and bouncing every so often. I think the muck being stirred up by the ball helped attract the fish.  Large spoons (black w/ purple or raspberry prism tape and white backs and black with glow ladder back tape) in the next size up from NK-28's and also Pirate spoons.  Seems there are many more choices out there today as far as spoons go too.  Again, those worked for Erie so who knows what would work for Raystown.  Probably want to "match the hatch" as far as size and color goes though.  Lakers like large, shallow diving stickbaits off the riggers as well and sometimes, cowbells with a spoon or a fly behind it will work too.  Best part of fishing is the experimenting and finding out what works.
    earlysecond
    Avid Angler
    RE: Too quiet on here! 2008/08/29 22:08:56 (permalink)
    thankseyesandgillz,

I have come to learn, and it has been confirmed here, that in certain areas the standing timber could be the bigger issue.  I have also come to accept that this is the wrong time of the year.  I will wait them out.  It gives me time to reasearch and buy some additional tackle.  I am not sure when I will chase them but it will be after some of the traffic disappears!

Brent
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Too quiet on here! 2008/08/30 17:08:46 (permalink)
    Some folks deal with the timber issue by fishing vertically. Jigs, and jigging spoons, fished at, or puched through the tree tops on heavy line.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    cjbs2003
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 97
    RE: Too quiet on here! 2008/09/10 08:47:08 (permalink)
    I've had my best luck on lake trout in Raystown by jigging gold hopkins spoons in 1/2 to 3/4 oz size in anywhere from 15-50 ft of water in the first 5 miles from the dam breast. Just find fish on the chart and drop down, jigging the bottom till you find the depth the fish are at, then focus on where the bottom hits that depth. Easiest way to fish for lakers, however you will lose spoons to trees, but lest so than trying to troll through that jungle.

What ever floats your boat, just keep it on your side of the lake...
    Jump to: