orvis fly reels

Author
rapala11
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6218
  • Reward points: 0
2008/08/23 10:29:41 (permalink)

orvis fly reels

read a review on the orvis battenkill la and saw where it was made in china.  are all orvis reels now made there?  when did production move over there?  how, also, can they charge what they do for a reel there when it is obvious that they are now cheaper to make? 

13 Replies Related Threads

flytierwon
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: orvis fly reels 2008/08/23 11:44:40 (permalink)
    Orvis isn't alone however, you're paying for the Orvis name stamped on all their products with a much higher mark up than other brand names...I noticed some time back that a certain model of Akuma and Orvis reels had a remarkable resemblance (knowing that they were importing their products) just for my amusement I swaped out a spool from an Akuma reel to a Orvis reel....low and behold it fit and performed perfectly. Even their flies are all imported. Some people are oblivious to the fact.
    Global market....fine! how about we find a way to even the playing field out with import export costs and this country would be better off.
    I owned a flyshop so I'm experience on this matter.

Just my own opinion.
    neaphyte
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: orvis fly reels 2008/08/23 15:32:30 (permalink)
    Those of you who remember me know I used to swear by Orvis reels, and guess what I still do. I have no fewer than 5-6 Orvis reels all American or UK made. Than Orvis went Global. I refused to buy any more Orvis reels, but guess what. I had an oppurtunity to buy a like new Battenkill LA {made in China} last year at a fraction of the new price. I bought it, have used it steelheading several times last year. And it is flawless. The only thing is, will it stand the test of time as the American made reels I own have. And the fact that they are less expensive is great. Do I hate that more American jobs were lost, of course. What reels will I buy in the future? Galvan! 
    anchke
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: orvis fly reels 2008/08/24 00:17:59 (permalink)
    I was going to buy an extra spool for my original Orvis Battenkill 5/6, but they discounted the reel, so it made better sense to order an extra reel. When it arrived, I noticed the finish wasn't quite as polished as my older reel, the angler with the tight line was missing from the Orvis logo, the frame's color was lighter and a little blotchy, and the tag said "Made in China." But here's the thing -- when I checked, the old, better finished reel (maybe 4 years old)  also was made in China.

The spools are interchangeable and the drag is fine on the new Battenkill 5/6. If I didn't have the older model to compare, I'd be of the opinion that the new one is a great bargain and would have no reservation at all.

Semi related story -- I've had a Sc Angler System I reel with extra spools for ages. Made in England is stamped on the reel foot. That reel is a workhorse, even if it doesn't have a disc drag. Then I heard they were going to stop making them, and noticed they were disappearing from Spring catalogs. So when I found a source I bought one. It looked okay, but the drag sounded like a strangled cat. It had a real fingernails on the the blackboard sound. Gone was the made in England stamp, and in its place was a Made in China sticker.  I returned it.

Okay, ponder this. Made in England or China, neither was made in USA. So is the difference the labor laws in the country of manufacture?

Also -- Bean introduced a very nice line of 4-piece fly rods this year. I'm pretty sure they're made in China, but the finish and hardware is very nice. Better, I'd say than the old ones, of which I have quite a few:-).

I was lucky enough to wander into the local Bean emporium just as they were clearing out the last of the old model. The catalog listed them for $200+, but the clearance was about $60. So I bought two #4s, a #6, #7 and an #8 saltwater. The old models I bought were made in the good 'ol' USA by G. Loomis using Loomis blanks, depending on which story you believe. But the thing is that the cork in the grips isn't quite top drawer and the line guides are single foot. So I'd have to say that Bean's new, imported rods have better hardware -- and they're less expensive (MSRP).

But I'm also happy with the bargain I stumbled into, and it's neat to have a battery of rods with precisely the same progressive action. Though it's going to be darn hard to convince the missus that I'll ever need another fly rod to add to the collection in my man cave. 

I admit to being very price conscious, but it ain't a bargain if I'm not satisfied with the way a product functions. 

Finally -- My golf clubs are custom made Palmer Axioms, .25 short, 2 degrees flat and stiff shafts. These were the first of the custom made clubs for the mass market. I bought the complete set for $90 from the used club, trade in section of the local shop 10 years ago and have never seen any reason to "trade up." Far as I know, they were made in the USA. I like to think they were made in Latrobe, but prolly not.
    vinestbrew
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: orvis fly reels 2008/08/24 02:51:54 (permalink)
    I have an extra Orvis large arbor battenkill says made in england upfor sale brand new in box w/case and registration card for sale if anyone is interested pm me
    Sage4wt
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 154
    RE: orvis fly reels 2008/09/14 01:03:55 (permalink)
    sent ya a pm!

DAS BOOT!
    mgolf92
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 378
    RE: orvis fly reels 2008/09/14 08:15:44 (permalink)
    You can't beat the drag on the BMA for the price.  It's a great reel, and more than what you would need for steelheading.  Mine was made in china, but I haven't had any problems with it.  I also have a BBS which was made in England, and it is great as well.  They make a fine reel for the money.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: orvis fly reels 2008/09/14 08:17:51 (permalink)
    my orvis reel is made in england. i can't remember how long i've had it. i like the convenience of being able to get a new spool by just going to an orvis shop instead of ordering one from other companies. so i have 3 spools for one reel.

anyhow, the ratchet gear on the 5/6 battenkill reel finally went out. does anyone know the price of one? hate to buy a new reel and since i have 3 spools i hate to give it up.

my next reel, for the 6wt. rod i'm planning on buying, will be a USA ross reel. anyone use the THE flycast LA or flywater LA? this will be used for river fishing for smallies.

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

1roadking
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: orvis fly reels 2008/09/14 09:18:46 (permalink)
    BUY AMERICAN we don't have many products available to us made in the USA but Ross is and I just purchased another Ross Rhythm my deciding factor between Ross and Orvis was the fact that ROSS is MADE IN AMERICA. Wow don't get to see that to much anymore. :):)
    fishmonger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: orvis fly reels 2008/09/14 09:36:25 (permalink)
    I have two Battenkills, one 8/9 wt., and other a 5/6. My son got the 5/6 for me last year off of E-bay, around $50 - brand new. The drags are what I particularly like about the Battenkills. I can muscle some pretty large fish with the 8/9. It is not a large arbor, and I have had some trouble with it freezing in severe conditions, but not too badly. I have a couple Okumas also, but the Battenkills are much nicer. It seems like it would be easy to get parts or have the Orvis reels repaired, but I have not had to cross that bridge yet. The 8/9 has been very dependable for nearly 10 years. I always take it apart and clean and lubricate it after every trib trip.

Fishmonger
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: orvis fly reels 2008/09/15 10:21:11 (permalink)
    i like the orvis reels too because i can disconnect the d... noisy clicker and the drag still works. but ross will be my next choice. USA!

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Todd1126
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: orvis fly reels 2008/09/18 02:46:22 (permalink)
    keep in mind you are paying more for the orvis name but their customer service is second to none. call okuma and tell them you burned up a drag and they'll tell give us 6 weeks, call orvis and you'll have it back in 7-10 days and they'll recondition the whole reel. this is just my opinion but sometimes the name says it all, besides their reels are more mid priced than upper priced.
    SmallieAngler
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 49
    RE: orvis fly reels 2008/09/19 13:28:33 (permalink)
    on the topic of made in the USA, does anyone know of any rods, besides sage, made in the US? i was thinking orvis is, but i'm not sure about that now.
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: orvis fly reels 2008/09/19 13:43:35 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SmallieAngler

on the topic of made in the USA, does anyone know of any rods, besides sage, made in the US? i was thinking orvis is, but i'm not sure about that now.

Thomas & Thomas - Greenfield, Mass.

Scott - Montrose, Colorado

Winston - Twin Bridges, Montana

St. Croix - Park Falls, Wisconsin

Jump to: