Oil Spill into Chappel Fork

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
SomethingFishy
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Oil Spill into Chappel Fork 2008/09/02 10:57:39 (permalink)
I updated my webpage about the Huge Snyder Brothers oil spill with new photos and text.

http://www.angelfire.com/pa2/STONEMANGUITARS/oilspill.html

MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: Oil Spill into Chappel Fork 2008/09/02 13:07:05 (permalink)
Nice page, better get that brown trout out of that stream, however if you want to keep the native reproduction.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
1roadking
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Oil Spill into Chappel Fork 2008/09/02 19:14:39 (permalink)
Maybe I'm reading something into this but I keep reading that all the had to do was open some valves ???? If this is true then it just invites trouble sooner or later some prankster was going to do this or is going to do it at another tank farm. if these valves are that access able some one needs to address this and find a way to lock the valves or install them in a locked containment. Just my 2 cents worth.
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
RE: Oil Spill into Chappel Fork 2008/09/03 08:39:03 (permalink)
I'm sure that the other oil companies and thier insurance companies are already working on that seeing that the fine for this will probably top $10 million.

Kinzuakitty
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Oil Spill into Chappel Fork 2008/09/03 12:35:10 (permalink)
Musky Mastr

Why would the oil company be fined? If so then apparently they were not in compliance with regulations which is exactly my point. I also checked with the Forest Service and no site fees are paid to the U.S. government (ie. tax paying citizens who own the surface) in fact we subsidize them. The no-bid timber sales which are carried out in secret by the Forest Service for oil and gas developers means that the timber is not publicly bid and no environmental assessment is done by the FS on the timber sale for clearcutting road, well sites, tank farms, brine pits, utility corridors.  The FS sets a price for the timber to the ogm developer who gives the FS a check for that amount.  The ogm developer turns around and sells the timber to a logging contractor who is waiting to cut it to make his money.  The contractor pays for the timber up front to the ogm developer who now has cash flow to hire contractors to do clearing and construction work - without having to expend any money for the development.  Then let's add all the free gravel they were given to build their thousands of miles of roads in the ANF and creating over 500 huge gravel pits. I have spent over 25 years fishing and boating on the Allegheny Reservoir.  I can tell you the water color is off...greenish dull tinge. I am convinced it is from sediment from all the roads which is going into the streams that feed the reservoir. I can't say whether this is the reason the fishing has been exceptionally poor in the main lake but then it has never been that good. Our friends tell us the walleye are still up in the river with the spot tail shiners. Affording the oil companies reasonable access is one thing...the****of a national forest is another. 
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
RE: Oil Spill into Chappel Fork 2008/09/03 13:19:08 (permalink)
As far as the fine, the train that crashed and dumped the NaOH into Portage run and eventually the sinnemahoning, killing ALL aquatic life for aproxametly 22 miles of stream, was an accident due to no fault of the railroad.  The fine was 7.5 million and there were very little clean up costs compared to this spill.  In the end he who has the deepest pockets will pay.

In the end the FS is getting paid for the timber, the fact that they are not collecting site fees is strange.  As far as the water color in the reservoir I remember that dull green tinge being there every year since the early eighties.

I have no doubt that the runoff from the roads installed for logging, oil & gas etc are a huge contributor of sediment.  I am actually conducting a study within the watershed on it right now.

I am going to try and walk in and check out the site of the spill this weekend.  I want to know how far the tanks were from the stream.

Kinzuakitty
New Angler
RE: Oil Spill into Chappel Fork 2008/09/03 14:05:14 (permalink)
Musky

The point is the forest service is not getting what they could for the value of the timber. We the taxpayers are being short changed..AGAIN The water in the fall is a different color due to the turnover I agree.  I am telling you there is a difference. I can see the water in the reservoir everyday from my living room so I do think I have a clue.  I am sure we have mutual concerns and interests. email me at batcave123@yahoo.com and maybe I can help you with your research. 
SomethingFishy
New Angler
RE: Oil Spill into Chappel Fork 2008/09/03 15:00:28 (permalink)
http://www.angelfire.com/pa2/STONEMANGUITARS/waterpollution.html

This above page describes the water situation pretty good.

There has been residual excessive sediment build up the past two years or so.  Directly related to the drastically increased and unmonitored road building.

strandman220
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 140
RE: Oil Spill into Chappel Fork 2008/09/03 19:19:44 (permalink)
SomethingFishy for sure. Nice post.
Guys, I spend most of my fishing in the northcentral. I fish small streams for wild trout. Because McKean Co had a lot of rain this summer I targeted it. And just as a fisherman. I was shocked at how the fishing went down hill in the last 8 years. There are so many new riggs and roads. Most of the streams look for no other way to put it. Like ****. I am use to AMD. I am not used to the gray dead look of most of the streams I fished.
I have no solution. I am only posting as a fisherman that had great fun and luck. 8 years ago. Then to come back and see things the way they are.

I suppose my main point is.
Its like somebody gaining weight. If your with them everday and they gain 80 pounds over 8 years no big deal
If you havent seen them in 8 years and you run into them its like wowwww.

A real eye opener. That there are problems.
Fishtamer
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 235
RE: Oil Spill into Chappel Fork 2008/09/08 14:03:06 (permalink)
The cleanup continues. So far they have recovered approx. 19,000 gallons. Not even half of the estimated 45,000 gallons that spilled. Sad & expensive!!! As punishment, they should throw the Hortons into a vat of oil & let them die the kind of death that the wildlife did. There is no excuse for this type of enviornmental terrorism.
Kinzuakitty
New Angler
RE: Oil Spill into Chappel Fork 2008/09/08 15:36:36 (permalink)
I agree there is no excuse for this kind of criminal behavior and the justice system needs to send a message.
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
RE: Oil Spill into Chappel Fork 2008/09/09 00:19:45 (permalink)
The problem is that while the Hortons will do the time, the snyder companies insurance will pay the fine.....

go-n-fishn
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 225
RE: Oil Spill into Chappel Fork 2008/09/09 09:33:28 (permalink)
Rumor has it that is not the first time these two have been in trouble. Heard that a few years ago there was a lot of vandalism done at a car wash and that name came up. It came from a pretty good source or I wouldn't have put it on here.

There will be days when fishing is better than ones optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.
**Roderick Haig-Brown
SomethingFishy
New Angler
RE: Oil Spill into Chappel Fork 2008/09/29 13:00:27 (permalink)
UPDATE!

As many of you might have expected, the "government", whether it be the state or federal government, has "officially" and I might add prematurely or arbitrarily ended the clean-up of Chappel Bay, the North Branch and Indian Run.

Some of us visited various spots along them this past weekend (Sept 27 & 28th) and found the same amount of oil in the booms and in "still pools", calm areas and eddys,  as we saw just a few days after the spill.  The amount at the "steel bridge" on the NCT, just off 321 near the headwaters of Chappel Bay had the same amount of oil behind the boom as we have seen in the past month or so we have been witnessing.  The clean-up tools are just strewn about in many places.

Even miles above at the headwaters of Indian Run, where one of the biggest and most accessible tank farms are located, there is still oil running into the creek.   There seems to be no interest or attempt to sop up the oil before it gets into Indian Run.

At various places between the headwaters of Indian Run, and where the North Fork runs into Chappel Bay, there are oily booms and rags laying about, on the ground, letting rain wash the oil back into the environment.

SOME, but not all the rags for sure, made it into a container parked along 321 just south of the Bradford Ranger Station and one might imagine that at one point it might be hauled away. And perhaps this is too much to ask for, but the contents may eventually be disposed of properly!  But judging how things are handled so far .....!!??!!

.... For example, the dumpster like container, sealed around the door with "spray on foam insulation" is continually leaking oil and sludge BACK onto the ground and into the environment!   This dumpster has a very rapid and steady flow of oil and such dripping out of it!

How long has it been since the spill?   Why has the clean-up been prematurely abandoned?  Are they just incredibly just letting the "rest" of the oil make it's way down Indian Run, the North Fork and into Chappel Bay and the Alleghey Reservoir?  REALLY?
go-n-fishn
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 225
RE: Oil Spill into Chappel Fork 2008/10/02 15:32:42 (permalink)
I wouldn't carve this in stone but I think the reason they pulled out for now is because the water flow in the streams was so low it wasn't cleaning out the streams. I think their hoping for a decent rain to help flush out the streams . Lets face it like it or not what's left in those streams (fish & what ever) is doomed . Its a lousy shame and like I said I wouldn't carve this in stone but  I'm pretty sure thats what going on. I'm sure if they were done they would clean up the mess.

There will be days when fishing is better than ones optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.
**Roderick Haig-Brown
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: