Dry Fly Fishing the Middle Yough

Author
fishinpitt
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 44
  • Reward points: 0
2008/08/19 20:11:52 (permalink)

Dry Fly Fishing the Middle Yough

So I'm planning a trip to the middle yough(confluence-ohiopyle) for labor day weekend.  I've gone the last few years hoping to get a little dry fly action but have not found a rising fish.  I'm not looking for specific spots but rather times of the day and the hatches that provide the highest possibility of rising fish. 

Last year in early August I fished morning and evening and for the first couple of hours in the morning there were a lot of caddis but not much rising.  In the evening there were yellow drakes all over the water, making no attempt to get off the water and I did not see a single fish rise.  Each time I blind casted stimulators but had no luck.  Eventually I fished underneath and managed 4 or 5 on large stone fly nymphs.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by living in central PA where if there are bugs on the water fish will be rising.  Any tips for me?

Thanks,
Pat

7 Replies Related Threads

sagexp
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Dry Fly Fishing the Middle Yough 2008/08/20 06:24:17 (permalink)
    Go under.    I go to Mill Run 3 to 4 times a year to fish with my friends from the Burg.   I have not ever seen a hatch like I do on my home water here in Central Pa.   I fish with nymphes and buggers on the Yough and I catch alot of fish.   Last week I was out there and I caught well over 100 fish in 3 days.
    flytierwon
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Dry Fly Fishing the Middle Yough 2008/08/21 04:00:47 (permalink)
    Bidwell Flats is where to be....aprox 3 miles below Confluence just after the Islands is dry fly heaven.
    Here the river splits into sevral braids and comes back to a large riffle and dumps into 6'-8' of slow moving water.... Perrrrrfect!
    The Yough intimidates a lot of people because of it's difficulty...big water and hard to wade. You can waste much of the day just maneuvering. Best way to fish the Yough is to float it.

Here is a pic just down river from the Islands.
    71gto
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: Dry Fly Fishing the Middle Yough 2008/08/21 08:15:49 (permalink)
    FlyTierWon,

I have fished there many times over the years but never with a fly setup, always did it with spinning gear, but know that I fly, I need to get back up there. I liked fishing where the Casselman and Yough comes together, always did well there.

Thanks for the beautiful pic.

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto!
    fishinpitt
    New Angler
    RE: Dry Fly Fishing the Middle Yough 2008/08/21 18:01:55 (permalink)
    Flytierwon,
    Thanks for the info.  I'll definately try the area out.  Normally I fish in the long slow stretch right above ramcat rapids.  Its the only section I've seen fish rising.  If I'm fishing underneath I'll usually fish the section all around ramcat rapids.  I usually end up catching many smaller trout that were probably stocked within the last year.  I still have yet to hook into any of the big hook jawed brownies that are said to reside in the river. 

Have you fished the area this year yet?  If so what have you been getting them on?  I know last year around this time there was lots of caddis around in the morning and various mayflies hatching around dark.  If you are ever in the the state college area shoot me a pm and I will get you into some fish out this way.

Thanks for your help.

-Pat
    flytierwon
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Dry Fly Fishing the Middle Yough 2008/08/25 08:47:56 (permalink)
    Pat
    Be aware labor day weekend the river will be very busy with the white water outfitters. This sometimes affects the feeding of the trout, when large groups go through it puts them down for a while or they simply relocate. Fishing out of a drift boat is not too bad, but for one who is wade fishing this could play havoc on your day.
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Dry Fly Fishing the Middle Yough 2008/08/25 09:33:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: flytierwon

Pat
    Be aware labor day weekend the river will be very busy with the white water outfitters. This sometimes affects the feeding of the trout, when large groups go through it puts them down for a while or they simply relocate. Fishing out of a drift boat is not too bad, but for one who is wade fishing this could play havoc on your day.

No question about it, that can drive a wading fisherman nuts.  It's not that they boats/rafts/canoes/kayaks/duckies/floating bathtubs are going down the river, it's everyone's river.  It's that they often either don't pay attantion to a wading angler, don't know to give you some space, or aren't able to control their crafts well enough to giv eyou some space.

I won't even fish the river after 10am from Memorial to labor days any more, that's when the floatilla begins.  And any holiday weekend, forget it.  I'll fish the Casselman instead.
    fishinpitt
    New Angler
    RE: Dry Fly Fishing the Middle Yough 2008/08/25 19:37:57 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info guys.  I'll let you know how I do this weekend.

-Pat
    Jump to: