Sinking Tip Line for Steelhead?

Author
Live2Fsh
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points: 0
2008/08/19 11:23:41 (permalink)

Sinking Tip Line for Steelhead?

Anyone using a sinking tip line for Steelhead?  I have always used a floating line, but was wondering about the possibility of a sinking tip line on the Erie tribs.

13 Replies Related Threads

D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Sinking Tip Line for Steelhead? 2008/08/19 11:48:01 (permalink)
    I don't think they are necessary in PA Erie tribs.

There are some places where one could be useful in Ohio and NY, I've not used them though.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Sinking Tip Line for Steelhead? 2008/08/19 12:11:49 (permalink)
    I don't believe you'll find sinking lines have any benefit on the erie tribs.
    post edited by thedrake - 2008/08/19 12:43:09
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: Sinking Tip Line for Steelhead? 2008/08/19 12:26:33 (permalink)
    If you're looking to fish streamers in strong flows, they are beneficial.  I like using a 2 to 3 foot section with 2x tippet and minimal to no split shot. 

<---  The Holy Trinity
    mgolf92
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 378
    RE: Sinking Tip Line for Steelhead? 2008/08/19 16:37:28 (permalink)
    I use a 4 ft. sink tip that I made and like 3-4 ft. of heavy tippet for streamer fishing in high flows.  I think it's wrong to say that it has no place on the Erie tribs...however anything over say 6 ft. really is unneccesary.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Sinking Tip Line for Steelhead? 2008/08/19 20:00:35 (permalink)
    At any point that the tribs are actually fishable, you can still get to the bottom with a floating line, long leader, and lots of shot. Spending money on a sinking line that you'll likely pay $50-$60 for and use only a few times, is not worth it in my mind.

Sinking lines are really only good for streamers, since you couldn't mend them to get a good drift with nymphs. I typically nymph for steelies about 99.9% of the time, and don't bother so much with streamers.
    mgolf92
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 378
    RE: Sinking Tip Line for Steelhead? 2008/08/19 20:58:03 (permalink)
    I completely agree that $50-$60 on a line that rarely gets used is rediculous.  Like I said, I made mine.  I just bought a $12, 12' sink tip with some loop connectors and cut one at about 4'.  But like drake, I only fish streamers maybe 2 minutes out of every hour that I'm on the water...if that.  So spend your money on flies and shot rather than sink tip lines.
    Fisherboy86
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 130
    RE: Sinking Tip Line for Steelhead? 2008/08/19 21:16:57 (permalink)
    Sink tips have their place on the Erie tribs, but mainly for fishing streamers or swinging flies. In my opinion.

Even when the water was flowing moderately/perfectly, I needed several density sinking tips last year to reach fish in a 4' deep run on Elk. I started with a type 1, then a type 3, and ended with a type 6 before I started to hook fish. And that was with a big mend and dead drift to get it down before the swing. I could have used a type 9.

To figure out the sink rates for the lines, it's the number type plus 1. A type 9 is 9"-10" per second.

You can find cheap sink tip lines for under $30 that work great, but I would recommend the Cortland Mini Head Kits. They come in Type 1, Type 3, Type 6, and Type 9 in 12' sections that can be cut down for your preferred length. The kits come with braided loops that can be added to the sections for easy add on and removing. You can cover different sink rates without spending a fortune. I'm pretty sure this is what mgolf is talking about.

Best,
    Fisher
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: Sinking Tip Line for Steelhead? 2008/08/20 23:34:32 (permalink)
    All I can say is if you haven't given streamer fishing a try for steelhead, you're missing out on some great fishing.  I am now using streamers more than egg patterns and nymphs.  Not to say that eggs and nymphs won't outproduce streamers most of the time, I'm just having more fun fishing my flies rather than just dead drifting them.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: Sinking Tip Line for Steelhead? 2008/08/21 17:28:44 (permalink)
    If you guys aren't swinging streamers with a sink tip you're missing out BIG TIME!

You give me a pod of fresh fish and water in the upper 50's with stronger flow and I'm tying on the sink tips and swingin' BIG buggers!

I always have sink tips of 2 feet, 4 feet, and 7 feet with me when I think I'll be swinging flies and will change the tips as the depth of the water I’m fishing changes. Dead sticking egg imitiations can get somewhat "regular" after a while, but nothing will get your heart pumping more than a steelie putin' the SMACK DOWN on a streamer swung right in front of its face!
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!! FISH ON!!!

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    Fisherboy86
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 130
    RE: Sinking Tip Line for Steelhead? 2008/08/22 09:18:57 (permalink)
    Loopy and MikeG are right on.

Swinging flies or stripping streamers is a blast. You catch almost all active fish that fight like he!!.

A buddy and I stripped 5" articulated streamers on lower elk last December just for a change from sucker spawns. It was one of the best times we have ever had, watching multiple steelhead fight over the fly as it moved through the water colum.

Best,
    Fisher
    go-n-fishn
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 225
    RE: Sinking Tip Line for Steelhead? 2008/08/23 19:29:14 (permalink)
    A couple of years ago I bought a couple of sinking tips that connect to your fly line with a loop to loop system. Orvis I think. I know how much I hate chucking & ducking split shot so I tried these when the need arises. Cast a lot easier and don't get hung up on bottom half as much. I use bead heads for my nymphs and steamers so the weight I do have is at the very end . So much easier and no split shot wrap arounds on the rod tip.

There will be days when fishing is better than ones optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.
    **Roderick Haig-Brown
    swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: Sinking Tip Line for Steelhead? 2008/08/23 22:57:11 (permalink)
    Yes finally something worth talking about.  Swinging flies is my favorite method of catching these fish.  I use floating line with poly leaders at different sink rates most of the time. A cheap way to go at it is get yourself some t-14 and cut it up at different sizes to get to the desired depth you want. I dont like to dredge the bottom on my swings but doing that will produce more fish, especially in winter months. I like to swing higher in the water column to give the fish a chance to decide if they want to play or not. Dragging a sucker spawn along bottom will get any steelie to "bite", or line as others would say. Swinging will get you less fish but a much greater satisfaction out of the sport. I watched a fish follow my fly for 30' before deciding not to take. Watching that was just as fun as hooking up IMO. Sure it would have been nice for that fish to latch on to me on the dangle but she was just curious and didnt want to play. By the way the air temp was 27 with the water at 35 that day.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: Sinking Tip Line for Steelhead? 2008/08/24 11:53:00 (permalink)

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    Jump to: