Alaskan Kings on the fly: Where

Author
neaphyte
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 101
  • Reward points: 0
2008/08/19 08:51:02 (permalink)

Alaskan Kings on the fly: Where

Long time no post, but I am back again for some help. Ready for a return to Alaska, will be targeting Kings on the flyrod. I know alot of you guys visit Ak regularly and some have lived there. So I ask your help. I have a list  narrowed to the following. In Bristol Bay area, the Togiak R. is my front runner, then Alagnak R. then there is the Kanektok R. which seems "a bridge too far". I am also considering the Yentna system including, the Talachulitna Cr,,,,. Lake Cr,,,, and the upper Yentna R.

The Togiak is my frontrunner becouse though it seems a liitle larger than some it's seems very manageable/readable/fly fishable. It has  strong run of Kings with a strong run of Chums peaking just after the Kings, thus giving an alternative. Oh, and of course there a several hundred thousand Sockeyes. There is a semi permenant tent camp on the river that seems to attract a good number of guys flyfishing for Kings whereas at other lodges they do not promote ff for Kings and cater to the gear fishing guys.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

5 Replies Related Threads

engsettersrus
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Alaskan Kings on the fly: Where 2008/08/19 15:38:22 (permalink)
    The Alagnak in mid July will get you into Kings, Sockeye, Trout and Grayling.

9 ft 9 or 10 wt rod
    OCfisher
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: Alaskan Kings on the fly: Where 2008/08/19 21:52:35 (permalink)
    I floated the Talachulitna about 5 yrs ago last week of June. There were loads of Kings in the lower section (after it becomes a river). We picked up a few on flies, but would have caught more had we known what we were doing. Mainly focused on trout and just enjoying the trip. There are some good websites out there for info, and the float was actually pretty easy and inexpensive to arrange, assuming that you have most of the camping/ fishing equipment already.
    neaphyte
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: Alaskan Kings on the fly: Where 2008/08/20 15:42:39 (permalink)
    OC, Thanks, I have fished the Tal had alot of success there. Alot of silvers and some nice rainbows in late July. In fact it was there we got into a few late Kings {inadvertantly of course} and that set me off on this quest to target big,fresh,wild kings on the fly. But thanks for the first hand info thats waht I am looking for. Internet info is great but you only read what they want you to read. 
    jonesy74
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 67
    RE: Alaskan Kings on the fly: Where 2008/08/20 20:31:27 (permalink)
    The Nushagak River gets the largest run of kings, its west of cooks inlet. Alaska outdoor forums is a great place to read about all of these streams and rivers
    Todd1126
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: Alaskan Kings on the fly: Where 2008/09/18 02:40:02 (permalink)
    i know it not in the mentioned area but the anchor fishes well for kings but its catch and release only. i had a 13 fish day last year. its a smaller river but its usually quiet down there.
    Jump to: