Ohio Pyle

Author
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1156
  • Reward points: 0
2008/08/18 12:25:18 (permalink)

Ohio Pyle

Heading to Ohio Pyle this weekend for a white water rafting trip.  Was thinking of taking the fishing pole and giving it a shot in between rafting.   Any suggestions on what I can catch or if it is even worth trying?

8 Replies Related Threads

SteelPerch
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Ohio Pyle 2008/08/18 17:30:44 (permalink)
    Lots of smallmouth and trout in those waters.  I was rafting last summer and ran into a guy scuba diving there.  I asked him if h could see any fish and he was like OH YEAH.  Tons of nice smallies hugging the banks and trout towards the middle.   The difficult part would be trying to fish while floating as the rapids are pretty swift.  If you have time to dock and fish it may be worth it.  Then again you also are likely to lose your poles and gear if you raft the whole course.  It's pretty rugged at some spots. so i'd say do one or the other..
    2dog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Ohio Pyle 2008/08/18 19:56:37 (permalink)
    American Whitewater Over-the-Falls Festival is on Aug. 23 at Ohiopyle. Falls races, upstream world championship, Falls Under Lights, town party, live music, food vendors, films, silent auction. Boating over the falls is only permitted one weekend each year and thrill-seekers come from across the country to participate.  So it will probably be crowded. http://www.fallsrace.com/ 
    Check it out.
    post edited by 2dog - 2008/08/18 19:58:40
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ohio Pyle 2008/08/19 05:55:29 (permalink)
    Steelperch, Thanks for the fishing info.  Wasn't planning on rafting and fishing at the same time. We're camping for the weekend and only rafting one day, so i thought i could fill in some time fishing.  I guess i'd have to buy a trout stamp though.  After reading 2dog's post though, I might just check out the race.  Sounds like a good time.  This is my first time rafting, so it should be a TON of fun.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9687
    RE: Ohio Pyle 2008/08/19 11:34:29 (permalink)
    There are two sections of the river that you can raft in Ohiopyle.  Above the falls has less rapids, and below has more.  I know they call them the upper, middle and lower, but not sure which is which...  One is not in Ohiopyle.  Just for description purposes, I am saying lower for below the falls and upper for above.  Not sure if this is really which is which though.

I wouldn't attempt taking fishing gear on the lower section, if this is your first time rafting.  There is a very good chance that you will flip your raft and lose your gear, or at the very least gear getting in your way.  You don't want to hook a family member, your self, or your raft...  During the weekend, you will likely not have enough time to cast, with the amount of other boats on the water as well.  If this is your first time, you'd likely want to get a guide too.  Not sure if they'd be too thrilled with you fishing instead of paying attention to the rapids. 

The portion above the falls is much more suited for fishing.  There are only a few relatively fun rapids though.  So, if the family is looking for a thrill ride, this section might not be what you want.  If you are looking to float a regular river, with a few rapids, get your fish on, this is the section.  It is a trophy trout area, but is filled with smolt sized trout, which are likely forage to the larger fish... (pack a rainbow trout "walleye style" rapala if you have one).  If you plan the upper area, pulling off and fishing is a blast, but make sure that you plan your time accordingly.  I kayaked this area with a friend, and took us about 6 hours.  That is with about 1 hour of pure paddling at the end, to get off of the water before it was dark.

Suggestion -
    If you want a thrill ride, there is a section of the lower called the Loop.  This is about 2 miles long.  If you want to do the slow stuff, but then want a taste of the real rapids.  Do the above the falls trip, then take a trip on the Loop.  This takes you only an hour or two, where the full below falls takes 4-5 hours.  There is a good bit of raft carrying involved, which will likely wear you out more than the trip itself.  Park you car at the take out, if you don't have a shuttle service.  You can toss a raft on the roof.  Doing a little planning ahead of time will make the trip much more enjoyable.

Have a good time, and be safe.
    post edited by Porktown - 2008/08/19 11:35:49
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Ohio Pyle 2008/08/19 11:46:08 (permalink)
    Upper Yough - Above the Reservoir in Maryland.
    Middle Yough - Dam to Ohiopyle
    Lower yough - Ohiopyle on down.
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ohio Pyle 2008/08/22 11:37:23 (permalink)
    Thanks again for the info. guys.  Heading down in a couple of hours.  Think I'm gonna breakdown and take the pole w/ me and try to do some smallie fishing if time permits.  I'll try to post some pictures if I catch anything.
    TransAmWS6
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 645
    RE: Ohio Pyle 2008/09/22 16:31:22 (permalink)
    catch anything?
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ohio Pyle 2008/09/23 11:26:31 (permalink)
    Actually didn't even get a chance to try.  Ended up rafting and watching some of the kayak festival they were having that weekend.  No fishing, but what a blast!!  Gonna try it again next summer, then maybe i'll get a chance to fish too.
    Jump to: