Author
Finster
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 184
  • Reward points: 0
2007/05/12 09:30:16 (permalink)

Downrigger Question?

Hello everyone,
                   I have a quick question. I was thinking of buying a pair of downriggers for my boat. My problem is that I have a 9.9 Kicker motor mounted on the back so the downriggers would have to be mounted out the side. Does anyone know if this would pose a problem? Everytime I have used downriggers, they were mounted straight out the back. I'm concerned that they may not run straight or stress the downrigger since it would be pulling from the side. Any info or opinions will help, thanks and good luck ouy there.
P.S. Was up the lake last Tuesday and nabbed a nice salmon trolling with a perch colored bomber near the channel by the bay.

19 Replies Related Threads

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Downrigger Question? 2007/05/12 12:08:27 (permalink)
    I have mine mounted to the side, and have no problems.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Finster
    Avid Angler
    RE: Downrigger Question? 2007/05/12 19:20:34 (permalink)
    thank you, I may just give it a try
    kc
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Downrigger Question? 2007/05/12 19:42:29 (permalink)
    I have two mounted straight back and two with longer arms mounted to the side. No problems at all. Just make sure you mount them securely and include backing plates in your installation.  
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Downrigger Question? 2007/05/12 22:03:12 (permalink)
    kc & spoon or anyone else knowledgable in this area;

Don't mean to divert this thread, but I also installed a rigger on my boat for the first time this spring.  My boat has 1/16" aluminum top with about a 1/2" of marine plywood underneath the side runner of my boat and I installed the rigger swivel base mount right on top of that....will this sufice rather than a backing plate, or would you recommend the backing plate in addition to whats already there?  Thanks in advance guys.

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Downrigger Question? 2007/05/12 22:09:11 (permalink)
    I really could not, or would RATHER not say if it will suffice, or not. Personally, I don't mount ANYTHING to my boat without a plate.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Downrigger Question? 2007/05/13 01:45:50 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Finster
    What lake were you fishing?........Salmon?
    Hello everyone,
                      I have a quick question. I was thinking of buying a pair of downriggers for my boat. My problem is that I have a 9.9 Kicker motor mounted on the back so the downriggers would have to be mounted out the side. Does anyone know if this would pose a problem? Everytime I have used downriggers, they were mounted straight out the back. I'm concerned that they may not run straight or stress the downrigger since it would be pulling from the side. Any info or opinions will help, thanks and good luck ouy there.
    P.S. Was up the lake last Tuesday and nabbed a nice salmon trolling with a perch colored bomber near the channel by the bay.
    Finster
    Avid Angler
    RE: Downrigger Question? 2007/05/13 07:29:42 (permalink)
    pafisher,
              Erie, yep a nice size salmon from there between the 4 mile creek and the bay. It's the first time I had ever fished lake Erie so it's all new to me. My boat is only 16' and I'm a little skittish about taking it out there. I was not even positive it was a salmon since I have never caught or fished for them or larger trout, I fillet it and saw the pink meat. I'm a Walleye fisherman mostly and that's why I'm trying Erie this year. However, I think I'm hooked now. It beats most of the smaller lakes around here. Also like the big rivers, you never know what is going to bite the hook.     
    Finster
    Avid Angler
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Downrigger Question? 2007/05/13 12:49:22 (permalink)
    I just got mine on e-bay brand new for $250.  Cannon Mini Mag with 36" aluminum boom and electric with Ion/magnetic attraction.  For the extra $100 you can't go wrong.  You might even find one cheaper now.  Good Luck!  

Heres some links I found for ya.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CANNON-EASI-TROLL-II-FISHING-DOWNRIGGER-W-COUNTER_W0QQitemZ200107384006QQihZ010QQcategoryZ36151QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&catref=C6&from=R10&satitle=cannon++downrigger&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=16157&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1&fsoo=1
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2007/05/13 12:53:28

Finster
    Avid Angler
    RE: Downrigger Question? 2007/05/13 13:12:53 (permalink)
    Thanks, I'll check it out
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: Downrigger Question? 2007/05/14 06:16:54 (permalink)

I was thinking of buying this downrigger? For the price it seems nice. Any comments?
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=search_redir&id=0043210018861a&navCount=0&podId=0043210&parentId=cat20985&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20985&hasJS=true

I had looked at those at one time. The price does seem nice. Back when I was considering them, I believe they had a fiberglass boom. I had heard a 2nd hand report of the boom breaking on that model. Supposedly, the owner replaced the broken fiberglass boom with a stainless steel rod of same dimensions. I'm not sure, but I think there is also a weight limitation for that model and I think it is 8lb. On Erie, I prefer a 10 lb (or heavier) ball.

I know all of what I said above is a bit fuzzy because it was either 2nd hand, or it was from what I recall going back 10 to 15 yrs ago, but just a few things you may want to check into prior to your purchase.

I have 4 Cannons. 2 electric, and 2 manual. I can't remember the model numbers because they are 10 to 15 yrs old, but they are the ones that come with the telescopic boom. Mag 10a sticks in my mind for some reason. Have had great luck with Cannons. I recently bought some Big Jons components that I needed as part of the 2 planner board masts I built. I am not impressed what-so-ever with Big Jons. The pulleys don't turn, the handle vibrated out of the reel, noisy, etc.
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    RE: Downrigger Question? 2007/05/14 06:26:45 (permalink)
    The one thing you need to be aware of when mounting downriggers on the side of the boat is that your lines attached to the downrigger clip, and the downrigger cables themselves may be forward of the prop. With a combination of factors introduced, say abrubt turning of the boat (by a less competent deck hand), rough water, and line near the surface just about to be lowered, you can get your line dangerously close to the prop. Not saying it will happen, just saying it can happen. Or, if the terminator at the end of the cable were to fail (and they do fail on occasion) your cable would be dangling with no weight on the end, drifting and swaying back there, coming real close to your prop.

Not saying don't mount the downriggers on the side, just wanted to bring to everyone's awareness that the prop could be behind your cables and lines.  
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    RE: Downrigger Question? 2007/05/14 06:33:10 (permalink)
    I agree with spoonchucker about the backing. Even a block of wood with the fender washers on the bottom side of the thru bolts would be enough to disperse the forces across a greater area of the gunwale.
    kc
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Downrigger Question? 2007/05/14 16:16:18 (permalink)
    I would used some type of backing plate, either wood or aluminum and make sure you use bolts and fender washers.  Absolutely do not use screws. There can be a lot of stress on the mount especially in choppy water and you are trolling a 10-12 pound weight at 2-2.5 mph waiting for that 25-30 lb. King salmon to hit.
    Finster
    Avid Angler
    RE: Downrigger Question? 2007/05/14 20:39:18 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the info guys. It will help. I went to Erie today and didn't catch anything. As the final kick in the butt, my 9.9 kicker motor quit pumping water!!! I was running it for quite awhile before I noticed. Hope it's not trashed. I have it at the shop now.
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    RE: Downrigger Question? 2007/05/15 05:52:57 (permalink)

Thanks for all the info guys. It will help. I went to Erie today and didn't catch anything. As the final kick in the butt, my 9.9 kicker motor quit pumping water!!! I was running it for quite awhile before I noticed. Hope it's not trashed. I have it at the shop now.

Did you shut it down as soon as you noticed it wasn't pumping water? If so (and you didn't overheat your motor), aside from needing a new impeller, you may be Ok.
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    RE: Downrigger Question? 2007/05/15 06:01:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kc

I would used some type of backing plate, either wood or aluminum and make sure you use bolts and fender washers.  Absolutely do not use screws. There can be a lot of stress on the mount especially in choppy water and you are trolling a 10-12 pound weight at 2-2.5 mph waiting for that 25-30 lb. King salmon to hit.

I totally agree with kc. Mounting a downrigger is an application for thru bolts (you can use machine screws with washers / nuts). If you use a wood block as your backing, you should also use fender washers. If you use a metal backing plate (and I don't mean sheet metal. 1/4" aluminum would be good), you wouldn't need the fender washers. I always use the nylon nuts so they stay tight.

When I installed the downriggers on my current boat, rather than mount the bases directly on the gunwales, I used the Berts tracks. Used ample backing under the gunwale as already discussed. Gives me the option of using rod holders only instead of downriggers. Berts stuff isn't cheap, but it is very nice. And if your planning on keeping the boat for a long time, what the heck. Besides, with the Berts tracks, you can install the step insert and they down even look like fishing tackle. Even though I only use my boat for fishing, I try to keep it visually appealing to the cruising crowd as well. I think resale from day one.
    Finster
    Avid Angler
    RE: Downrigger Question? 2007/05/15 07:23:25 (permalink)
    I plan on using a backing plate for sure. As for the motor, I shut it down when I noticed but I was trolling with it for a long time. It was startin fine and not running poory so I think it will be ok. I think it may be the themostat? If so, at least it had some water being pushed into it which may have saved it. We shall see, I'm supposed to get a call today. 
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: Downrigger Question? 2007/05/15 09:38:16 (permalink)
    Buy a Cannon w/ mounting plate and swivel base.  I have riggers mounted on our custom aluminum raised rack.  We have positions/base plates mounted for 3 riggers and have 3 on at the moment.  If we only use 2, the are run directly behind the boat.  If we decide to run three, we will use the swivel base to "turn it out" and make it a boom rigger.  Somedays if it is dead calm and fish very spooky, especially in shallow, I will make both outsides boom riggers.

Jump to: