Question about the Laws/Rules

Author
beerman0303
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 869
  • Reward points: 0
2008/08/11 12:45:58 (permalink)

Question about the Laws/Rules

Am i allowed to use a cast net to catch baitfish?  Also are you permitted to catch bait in a tributary stream and use the bait live in the main river?  I have heard you cant catch live bait at one place and use it in another, but if the waters are connected, I figured it would be OK.  Any info would be helpful.

4 Replies Related Threads

gobyking
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1195
    RE: Question about the Laws/Rules 2008/08/11 14:31:15 (permalink)
    4 foot diameter or less on the cast net and I think you cannot use it in a PA approved stocked trout stream. Only thing I saw was not bring allowed to take any baitfish or fish from Lake Erie watershed to other parts not connected to it.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Question about the Laws/Rules 2008/08/11 19:48:10 (permalink)
    It is unlawful to:

• use a cast net or throw net in the waterways listed above without the required permit;
  • use a cast net or throw net in any other Commonwealth waters except those listed above;
  • use a cast net or throw net to take, catch, kill or possess any fish species except gizzard shad 8 inches or less in length and alewife;
  • use gizzard shad or alewife taken under the required permit as live bait in any water other than the water from which it was taken;
  • use a cast net/throw net without possessing a valid fishing license.

• Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    gobyking
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1195
    RE: Question about the Laws/Rules 2008/08/12 00:41:58 (permalink)
    I should have kept quiet. What do I know? I don't even use live bait!!!
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1495
    RE: Question about the Laws/Rules 2008/08/14 00:13:01 (permalink)
    Definately talk to a warrant about these questions. Normally I'd tell you, but your lakes rules are different then mine. I just wouldn't want you to take my say as the real thing then get a heavy fine. From what I know (here in Butler County..) both are unlawful. Between you and me you probably could get away with it.. But following the rules is something you probably should do. Good Luck
    Jump to: