Author
JEB
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2248
  • Reward points: 0
2007/05/11 13:44:35 (permalink)

Trivia Question ?

True or False:

Are there any "native" trout in Pa ??????

4 Replies Related Threads

casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: Trivia Question ? 2007/05/11 13:49:59 (permalink)
    if you consider brookie trout a trout, then yes.  If you consider them char as they are currently classified, then no.

Then it depends on how you want to classify any Atlantics that you find.  They are a trout, and are native to the great lakes systems, but they may or may not be 'wild' fish that you find right now.
    2dog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Trivia Question ? 2007/05/11 22:37:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: casts_by_fly

if you consider brookie trout a trout, then yes.  If you consider them char as they are currently classified, then no.

Then it depends on how you want to classify any Atlantics that you find.  They are a trout, and are native to the great lakes systems, but they may or may not be 'wild' fish that you find right now.

Atlantic salmon might be native to the Great Lakes system as far as the St. Lawerance river goes. Niagara Falls would stop there upstream movement in New York. But the Delaware River and Susquehanna River would make them native to Pa.
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: Trivia Question ? 2007/05/12 17:50:59 (permalink)
    except that I think the delaware and susq. drainages are historically too warm to support an Atlantic fishery.  I think the southernmost that atlantics have had a historical range was new hampshire/vermont.

So then the answer is truly a no then.
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Trivia Question ? 2007/05/14 10:59:54 (permalink)
    Wow, I thought I would've gotten a few more responses. But the answer is NO.
    Rainbows are actually a Pacific Salmon
    Brook are a char
    Browns were introduced from Germany.
    We have both wild rainbows and browns, but they are not natives. We have native brookies, but the are a char and not a true trout !
    Jump to: