Warmer waters ....

Author
kyler16
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2396
  • Reward points: 0
2007/05/10 18:43:19 (permalink)

Warmer waters ....

was fishing fourmile creek in westmoreland county yesterday. Trout were actin a lil strange then the ones I fished for in the cooler waters of bedford county. Im sure Im answering my own question but do u think the water temps when they are warmer are causing the fish not to really strike bait like they did in the cooler waters?

5 Replies Related Threads

coolerfull1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 257
    RE: Warmer waters .... 2007/05/10 18:54:05 (permalink)
    i'll bet they were rainbows and maybe browns, low and clear water, and a long ride on the truck.  that will do it right there.  go tomorrow morning and they'll be pounding...gauranteed. 
    plnoldrick
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 391
    RE: Warmer waters .... 2007/05/10 18:58:08 (permalink)
    ive most deffinatly seen a massive slowdown in the trout bite with the warmer weather. i think the sunlight level has also played a great deal into it. i fished fourmile about a week and a half ago and they were doing the same thing. almost like they were playing with my pin minnow as opposed to flat out taking it.

personally if i do fish any more trout this year (hard to tell since the bass action turned on) it will most likely be on overcast days only.
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: Warmer waters .... 2007/05/10 22:34:36 (permalink)
    I've never fished fourmile, but unless it's warmed over 68 degrees, they should still be feeding heavily.  What may be happening, is that heavier hatches have started late evening and night.  If it's a big enough bug and there are enough of them, they will sometimes sit and sulk all day waiting for the evening/night feed bag. 

If the fish you're fishing over have been around a while, they are probably getting a litte more selective about what they eat as well. Try even smaller hooks and lighter line.
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: Warmer waters .... 2007/05/10 23:32:02 (permalink)
    nope these fish were stocked bout 4-6 hours before I arrived at the river. 4mile was alot warmer then most the other creeks I fished.  Id watch the trout theyd follow everything right to my boots then swim away. only thing I got them to strike was my Repala cd-3 fire tiger. maybe they just had a terrible driver delivering them an beat them up like crazy.

I fished raystowbranch of the juniata 30 minutes after it was stockd an caught fish all day hitting everything. but that stream was also alot cooler.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Warmer waters .... 2007/05/11 00:08:16 (permalink)
    If it was the 4 mile below Donegal, the water was probabley WAY warmer than in the truck. It's lucky they were not belly up, not just lethargic. The PF&BC should cancel an in-season stocking if the stream temperature is unseasonabley high. Or at the very least, temper the water in the truck before dumping the fish.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Jump to: