Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
eyeassassin
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 847
  • Reward points: 0
2011/03/15 21:23:02 (permalink)

thinking about trying fly rod

Okay so i am usually a eye guy but i make a few trips up for the steelies and i would like to try using a fly rod instead of the spinning rod. Only thing is i know nothing about fly rods or bait so i am reaching out to you fly guys for some help. What is a good rod that isnt going to break the bank and any other tips or pointers you can give would be great.
it seems that it may just be more fun to catch them on the fly rod that is why i want to try something different

REMEMBER HOW MUCH FUN YOUR FIRST BIG ONE WAS. TAKE A KID FISHING

45 Replies Related Threads

Extreme Shallow
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 239
    RE: thinking about trying fly rod 2011/03/15 21:46:37 (permalink)
    Hey Eyes,

I'm just getting started into fly fishing for steelies and on the Yough. I'm starting from scratch but have a few great guys going to show me the way. You can't be that far from me (Elizabeth Township) so we might get together and have a few laughs at each other.....

Skip16503 is hooking me up with a couple of rods (one for steelies). Once I have them the learning will begain!
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: thinking about trying fly rod 2011/03/15 23:11:03 (permalink)
    I think there is a Cabela's down your way,I'm from SE Pa.,try their fly shop,if they are like the Hamburg store they could help setting you up.
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2133
    RE: thinking about trying fly rod 2011/03/16 06:44:25 (permalink)
    Here's a heads up, regardless what these fly experts tell you. I been tryin fly fishin for almost 2 years now. I got 19 hook-ups and nothin landed. I was told you will need 30 before you can land 1. Only 11 to go! Here's a tip, practice, practice, practice.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: thinking about trying fly rod 2011/03/16 07:17:38 (permalink)
    call FishUSA (the sponsor of this site)

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: thinking about trying fly rod 2011/03/16 07:50:07 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: eyeassassin

Okay so i am usually a eye guy but i make a few trips up for the steelies and i would like to try using a fly rod instead of the spinning rod. Only thing is i know nothing about fly rods or bait so i am reaching out to you fly guys for some help. What is a good rod that isnt going to break the bank and any other tips or pointers you can give would be great.
    it seems that it may just be more fun to catch them on the fly rod that is why i want to try something different

Why??

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: thinking about trying fly rod 2011/03/16 08:15:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: KJH807

Ask for Brian E But not after 11 AM today I hear he will be out Honing his Skills. Not that need any

flynut
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: thinking about trying fly rod 2011/03/16 09:08:35 (permalink)
    Try Fish USA can not beat prices and the service, very nice people even bought a used kayak from Brian
    SteelSlayer77
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 489
    RE: thinking about trying fly rod 2011/03/16 17:52:13 (permalink)
    Here's a heads up, regardless what these fly experts tell you. I been tryin fly fishin for almost 2 years now. I got 19 hook-ups and nothin landed. I was told you will need 30 before you can land 1. Only 11 to go! Here's a tip, practice, practice, practice.

Fly fishing and just catching fish on a fly rod are two different things.  The orginal poster said he wanted to catch fish on a fly rod, that is what I do and I use bait for it.  I have the same hook-up and catch rate as using my spinning equipment and think it's a lot more fun battling those silver beasts on a 9 - 10' fly rod with light leaders.

Fly fishing with an artificial fly is way more difficult, your drifts have to be flawless and the takes are much lighter.  Every time I try to use artificial flies/streamers, my catch rate is about a 1/4 of what I catch using bait on the same fly rod.  Unless your tying your own flies and get satisfaction out of catching a fish on a fly that you tied yourself or that a close friend has tied for you, I don't see the point in using them over bait.

SteelSlayer77
    Expert Angler
    RE: thinking about trying fly rod 2011/03/16 18:27:23 (permalink)
    What is a good rod that isnt going to break the bank and any other tips or pointers you can give would be great.

If your looking for a moderately priced rod with high end performance, I would recommend St. Croix Avid fly rods.  They run between $220 - $280 depending on the size, and I think they are just as good as any $400 - $500 rod that I have used. (Have only used 3 rods in that price range)  They are also made in the USA with lifetime warranties.

I started with a 7' 3wt Avid for trout and absolutely loved it so much that I had to have the 9' 7wt for Steelhead.  I mainly swing minnows and streamers.  If your drifting or high sticking might want to go a foot or two longer than what I'm using.
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: thinking about trying fly rod 2011/03/16 19:35:57 (permalink)

What is a good rod that isnt going to break the bank

TFO has some good rods out there pretty cheap. I got two no complaints so far. Cant beat the warranty.
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: thinking about trying fly rod 2011/03/16 19:57:27 (permalink)
    I bought a TFO...love it and the warranty.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    BehrendFisher
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: thinking about trying fly rod 2011/03/16 21:55:04 (permalink)
    I too use a TFO. Bought a 10' 7wt before the fall steelhead season and have no complaints with it. Cant beat the unconditional warranty as others stated.
    fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 529
    RE: thinking about trying fly rod 2011/03/16 23:36:23 (permalink)
    Start with an 8wt for a year, and experiment with different drifts. Find out what is your most productive method some guys fish streamers good, while others fish egg patterns and nymphs best, regardless you will catch fish. And start with a 6 pound tippet and work your way down. You slowly treat it as a regular rod and work the technique till you get the hang of it
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: thinking about trying fly rod 2011/03/17 06:06:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: fish whisper

Start with an 8wt for a year, and experiment with different drifts. Find out what is your most productive method some guys fish streamers good, while others fish egg patterns and nymphs best, regardless you will catch fish. And start with a 6 pound tippet and work your way down. You slowly treat it as a regular rod and work the technique till you get the hang of it

This is good advice. You will have more control with an 8 weight...10' would be ideal.i just took a friend out with a fly rod for the first time this february. After one day he preferred casting my 13' rather than the 10' i set him up with. If you have friends with gear that are willing to lend you ttake advantage of it.I tend to overload an 8 weight with a 9 weight line when fishing bigger water but just stick to the basics for now. Tfo is great for the money with the warranty as welll. Good luck
    eyeassassin
    Expert Angler
    RE: thinking about trying fly rod 2011/03/17 09:21:03 (permalink)
    thanks for all the advice.  i think i am going to start with the wal mart brand at first to see if i am even going to like this.  after that i will decide if i want to invest the money in it and try to explain to my old lady why it makes sense i do so.

SteelSlayer77
    Expert Angler
    RE: thinking about trying fly rod 2011/03/17 13:32:12 (permalink)
    thanks for all the advice. i think i am going to start with the wal mart brand at first to see if i am even going to like this. after that i will decide if i want to invest the money in it and try to explain to my old lady why it makes sense i do so.

If you like using ultra light equipment for regular trout, then go with a 7wt for Steelhead.  I really feel like 8wt is overkill, if it's a rod specifically for Steelhead.  I see a lot of people even using 6wts on the tribs with no problems, but I feel a 7wt is perfect.

****s has some pretty cheap field and stream fly rods if your looking to go real cheap.  I would get something from****s before Walmart, they don't have much fly fishing equipment.
    SteelSlayer77
    Expert Angler
    RE: thinking about trying fly rod 2011/03/17 13:33:59 (permalink)
    The asterisks are supposed to be d - i - c - k - s sporting goods
    eyeassassin
    Expert Angler
    RE: thinking about trying fly rod 2011/03/17 14:21:34 (permalink)
    thanks i will start looking real soon.  do the steelies run in the spring or is this a fall thing only.  i have only fished for them in the fall so i know nothing about the spring

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: thinking about trying fly rod 2011/03/17 14:28:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: KJH807

+1

They'll give you much better advice than the associate behind the cash register at Cabela's or any of the big box stores.
    wolf
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 36
    RE: thinking about trying fly rod 2011/03/17 17:46:46 (permalink)
    ohio spring chrome gunna be there this weekend,pa dropbacks,flyfishing?go for the gustoe just dont let mr gustoe catch you
    TastyTrout
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: thinking about trying fly rod 2011/03/18 08:42:04 (permalink)

now cousin I told you I was thinking about starting to fly fish and you yelled at me about how the streams around here aren't big enough....now this?  oh boy.  We'll make the jump together and both look like idiots.........AFTER walleye season.
    eyeassassin
    Expert Angler
    RE: thinking about trying fly rod 2011/03/18 08:47:10 (permalink)
    yea def after eye season

musthuntmusky
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 201
    RE: thinking about trying fly rod 2011/03/18 09:01:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: TastyTrout

now cousin I told you I was thinking about starting to fly fish and you yelled at me about how the streams around here aren't big enough....now this?  oh boy.  We'll make the jump together and both look like idiots.........AFTER walleye season.

a 6.5' fly rod will fish ANY stream in this state... not being a jokester here.
    SteelSlayer77
    Expert Angler
    RE: thinking about trying fly rod 2011/03/18 15:29:42 (permalink)

+1

I use my 7' 3wt with a bow & arrow technique to successfully fish very small native streams.  Nothing like crawling along the ground up to a small hole on a native brookie stream and slingshotting your bait up into the top of it.
    350Z&Steelheads
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 430
    RE: thinking about trying fly rod 2011/03/18 15:48:28 (permalink)
    OP,
    Go ahead and try it...you won't regret it. Lots of fun!

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: thinking about trying fly rod 2011/03/18 15:49:15 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: musthuntmusky

ORIGINAL: TastyTrout

And an elephant can be killed with a spear.  But that doesn't make it the ideal weapon of choice.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    SteelSlayer77
    Expert Angler
    RE: thinking about trying fly rod 2011/03/18 16:35:50 (permalink)
    And an elephant can be killed with a spear. But that doesn't make it the ideal weapon of choice.

What is "ideal" is all relative to different people.  To an African Pygmy tribe member, a spear may very well be the ideal weapon of choice. 
    eyeassassin
    Expert Angler
    RE: thinking about trying fly rod 2011/03/18 16:43:21 (permalink)
    lots of advice from lots of ppl
    thanks everyone for the input i am going to start weighing out options after the spring eye season.  and i like the idea about the spear they probably wouldnt fight as much lol

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: thinking about trying fly rod 2011/03/18 16:51:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SteelSlayer77

And an elephant can be killed with a spear. But that doesn't make it the ideal weapon of choice.

What is "ideal" is all relative to different people.  To an African Pygmy tribe member, a spear may very well be the ideal weapon of choice. 

Not if they had the wide array of choices in weapons as the person who is asking for fly fishing help has in rods.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: