Cranberry Lake

Author
davef
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 983
  • Reward points: 0
2024/05/02 21:30:32 (permalink)

Cranberry Lake

Has anyone been fishing at Cranberry Lake in Somerset County this year?  Mainly interested in panfish bite.  Thanks.

2 Replies Related Threads

davef
    Expert Angler
    Re: Cranberry Lake 2024/05/04 14:25:44 (permalink)
    Made the trip up on Friday to see what it was like currently.   There appeared to be a lot of weed free water but once i got the boat launched and started moving around I found the conditions to be similar to what it was 2 years ago when I was last up.  There are a lot of weeds which as of this date are about a foot from reaching the surface.  The last time I was up in June 2022 there was only the middle section open and it appears it will be similar this year once the weeds reach the surface.  That year the weed free area was perhaps 200 yards by 50 yards right out from the boat launch toward the breast.

For the actual fishing there were a ton of carp spawning along shore and also splashing around in pairs all thru the lake.  I was only fishing for crappies and actually caught quite a few but only 3 were 9 inches long.  I'd guess the rest may have averaged 8 inches.  I wanted some fish to keep so I ended up bringing 30 home to clean.

All in all a nice peaceful trip with no other fisher people around.
    davef
    Expert Angler
    Re: Cranberry Lake 2024/05/10 12:25:32 (permalink)
    Went back up on Thursday morning hoping the rain would hold off till afternoon but it started about 10:30.  Only fished from shore at the boat dock but early on there were both crappies and bluegills biting.  Had kept about 6 fish till the rain started and the bite stopped.   Didn't have any rain gear so I packed up.

Found out on the left side of the dock there were no thick weeds out as far as about 50 yards so the weeds may not be everywhere like I had assumed. Not yet sure about the right side of the dock.  There may be more shore fishing openings than I had previously assumed and will fish it again once this rain stops.

Does anyone know for sure if the fish commission is doing anything to hold the weeds down here.  I read somewhere they can no longer draw the lake down in the winter for weed kill as the lake has gotten to shallow thru the years.  Anyone know if that is true?
    Jump to: