Tailwater lodge.........

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
bigbear2010
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 859
  • Reward points: 0
Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/26 10:01:48 (permalink)
dsr south
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/29 11:41:02 (permalink)
WOW !!
New York Gave it away !! 
Looks like it may be there for awhile, vacant or not , before hopefully NY can afford to buy it back..
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2013/08/salmon_river_fishing_scene_to_get_new_hotel_option_from_syracuse_developer.html#incart_m-rpt-2

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
bigbear2010
Expert Angler
Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/29 12:50:09 (permalink)
yes they did, guess they know somebody
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/29 12:58:33 (permalink)
I don't see anything that says what they paid,but they say $3.5 million total with renovations.$189/night!!!!.......but wait that includes breakfast!....LMAO.....thought it might be something to look at but at that price I don't even want to look,even with their "exclusive"...again LMAO....fishing rights. I wonder who they are targeting in their marketing plan,I can just see Joe Snagger paying that for those "exclusive" fishing rights.They better order those "for sale" signs now!

bigbear2010
Expert Angler
Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/29 13:54:50 (permalink)
i'll bet its an orvis shop

bigbear2010
Expert Angler
Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/29 13:55:59 (permalink)
yep unless they are busing in "guests" from saracuse, they might as well throw in the towel at those rates
troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/29 14:07:26 (permalink)
Tailwater Lodge, a place to separate the snobs from the slobs.  They can film the fishing version of Caddyshack there, call it Fishshack. "Oh it's in the mouth." 

post edited by troutbum21 - 2013/08/29 17:58:18
twobob
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1674
Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/29 14:21:10 (permalink)
I'm thinking that conference room is what they are banking on.
Doctors, lawyers, bankers and such hold "profession based educationaL seminars" (read people go sign in get to write everything off and really go fishing).
They've been doing it in Alaska, Florida,Hawaii.Arizona for years hunting, fishing or golfing mostly.
In the end you and I pay the tab.
What's not to like about this deal?
bigbear2010
Expert Angler
Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/29 14:51:03 (permalink)
i guess so
glad i stay for free right across the road
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/29 16:28:39 (permalink)
I told you guys I stayed at the other 2 in Syracuse.. The rate was more then $189.00 but then again , they are sayin it's an introductory rate.. I'm sure weekends and peak times will be above the 2bills rate..
Yes the other 2 are corporate geared rip-offs exactly as 2 bob said..
Notice the fine art on the wall.lol
In the end I think we (regular Joe ) will suffer. I think in 5 -7 years it will be vacant.. I think NYS will be holding the bag for back taxes (what little that may be ) I think NYSDEC will obtain the bank rights for an astronomical fee..
I hate thinking so much when I just wake up..ugh...
Sign me up, I want a ***** hotel , casting lessons and gear rental from the pro shop, a pro shop guide to show me exactly were to cast on this exclusive section of the river, lunch brought to me streamside , a gourmet dinner with fine whine instead of busch beer, a sauna to cleanse my soul and a mint placed on my pillow each day after fishing..  Sounds about right for Pulaska :)  Oh shoot, I forgot a , Fresh scented porta potty along the river bank when I need to poop ...lol  Now thats livin HIGH ...

Peace & Tuna

fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/29 17:41:15 (permalink)
I'm glad Clint posted the map showing all the exposed bank- read access- on Fbook. Of course, I had to point out how easy it would be to gain wading and anchoring with the exception of about 250 feet.
troutbum21
Pro Angler
Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/29 18:03:18 (permalink)
I wonder if they are going to have ghillies to attend to their clientele.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/29 18:07:17 (permalink)
Sorry I don't do Facebook so it doesn't seem to easy by even looking at the map .
I see the section of line which extends into the water but I see private property around the areas getting to the water unless you cross over from the north or scale along the cliff below the parking lot.
Am I missing something ?

dimebrite2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1625
Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/29 18:54:52 (permalink)
Guys, I'd bet the farm that they do own to the middle... you can't go by county tax maps... they tell you in fine writing that they are not liable for accuracy...

They are on that ten year tax increase plan as well which was published in the salmon river news this past winter...(or late spring

It is what it is in my book. I'd venture to say they are here for ten years no ifs ands or buts based on their ten year tax plan... remember these folks have a lot more eggs in their basket besides this. Something tells me they may prevail whether we like it or not. And they have every right to... enough politics from me now
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/29 19:19:06 (permalink)
No denying their right. NYS " gave" them the property with the tax incentive for so called employment agreement . Wish to se what my employer promised the United States Of America (EPA) and state of NY ? Want to know how many people have been laid off since that agreement and the financial penalty of 1.5 mill ( just the start) for not meeting their agreement ..

It will be no real big deal to them if they close . Believe me, they will still come out ahead. The community and state will not.
5-7 years is my timeline I'm sticking to.
Now I'm not in favor of anyone going under regardless but I do not see how without back door deals it can survive .

fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/30 07:08:17 (permalink)
What you missed was I was yanking some chain, Tuna.  Every convention center needs hookers, too.  Know any likely applicants?
I think lots of guides will not rock the boat , so to speak, because if they do bring in well-heeled clients on expense accounts, it's much more likely they will fish out of a boat rather than fight the hordes.
I think in recent times, I fished that area more than anyone else on this forum with the exception of BigBear, who has true vested interest. I'm sad to see it go, as it was good to me. What's not good is even more pressure on other parts of the river and a pervasive attitude that money buys privilege and access.  Like many of the people in my area that are dedicated fishers, I may become a member of the "I use to go over there before it got F'ed up"  club.
My opinion on anything SR related is uninformed, so I'll leave  it at that.  Hope everyone has a good season. 
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/30 07:27:35 (permalink)
A shortage of rooms?  The Fat F****** Snagger sat empty for years until NYS went in and bailed out that landowner.  Yes, money talks, and nobody wades except for 189 per night.

So what are the chances that if the hatchery is short on eggs, they close the river down this far!

L13
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/30 09:07:27 (permalink)
I may know a few likely candidates who will play for pay , but that's nor her or there. I still keep 1 wheel still in the ditch :)

Lucky:
If they didn't shut the lower river down last year , they never will.

Edit: all the above: It's called Night Shift..lol

God bless the USA
post edited by hot tuna - 2013/08/30 09:22:59

dimebrite2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1625
Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/30 12:35:28 (permalink)

Although I said it earlier on , my sympathies are more for the local community especially the youths who have lost a large amount of open space and activity.... where do they go now???

Fukk the fishing end of it. The percentage of money that goes in to license sales compared to the amount of river lost is miniscule in my eyes compared to the youth community's loss...where will they go???

...oops am I thinking out loud again???

post edited by dimebrite2 - 2013/08/30 12:49:16
troutbum21
Pro Angler
Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/30 13:37:46 (permalink)
Dime,
Have you seen the latest FB posts from Tailwater.  They have recruited Randy Jones' photos and posted them to their FB page.  I don't know if Jones is being compensated for his photos, I certainly hope so.  The point is they are trying to capitalize off the success of others when they haven't opened their doors.  Very presumptive of them. 
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/30 14:51:10 (permalink)
Tax incentives are a whirlwind for Communities- one one hand if you dont give them business will go someplace else and on the other if no one gave them business would still come in  or not expand or exist.
 The thing that makes folks give them is the other issues of local employment as the likely case with the school -or let it sit and rot with no positive side whatsoever to the town.
   They feel  that the incentive is worth the risk not to mention the upgrades and general appearance as opposed to continued blighted spaces.
 We had one come in with lots of intro level employment activity and they agreed to bus employees in from the inner City as part of the 10 year deal. Did their business basicaly out of a new pole kinda building ( cheap construction low maintainance costs) and they stuck to the employee agreement- lotsa jobs came of it.
    OK -- At the end of the 10 years they tried to move out and do the same thing in the neighboring Town- neighbors said NO because the 10 year was an intro offer and they had tipped their hand- that was 15 years ago and they ares still here  lol.  
    Charlie hit the nail on the head IMHO with the Hotel employment and upscale folks regularly hiring local drifters. Altmar will see a direct increase of employment and folks with expendable cash as opposed to an empty old school costing basic maintainence dollars over the next 10 years.
   Even if the Business folds as Tuna and some of us feel likely.  Taxes will eventually come due which would NOT be the case if the Town still owned it.
post edited by retired guy - 2013/08/30 14:55:53
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/30 17:26:37 (permalink)
I'm still really peeved about this in terms of the public investment. We paid (through licenses, excise tax, and NRD settlement funds) to create the fishery that makes this spot attractive to the developer, and then we give the developer more money ( I pay NYS Income taxes, sales taxes, tax taxes, etc) to deny us access to something we paid to create.  I'd go get some Vaseline, but I'd have to pay more sales taxes on that!  Randy Jones should read up on the situation in Erie, where a guide there helped to privatize water on the promise of his use, and then late got s****** out of that (American Angler, Winter 2013).  If it is a viable business relying on the publicly created fishery, it should not need the IDA funds.  I know I'll be watching the ads for conferences and making little reports to the IRS to see how much of this they can recover, why should I be subsidizing people who can pay 189 per night, and then write it off on their income tax.  And maybe its time to think about a little flotilla, since they are not going after boats.  I can make it from Altmar to Ellis Cove  in a Radison, with a few hours anchored in between.

L13
twobob
Pro Angler
Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/30 18:18:37 (permalink)
If they started saying no anchoring I could lauch my pontoon, float thru their water as slow as possible slapping water with the oars all the way.
Pull over carry it back to the launch to do it again 3 or 4 times without much problem.
Or register it, slap on my electric trolling motor and take laps around the hole all day long.
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/30 18:20:53 (permalink)
Who is going to pay $189 to fish  water that fishes better from the other side.   The may own to the center, but I can cast and fish to their water.   I would rather get 2 passes to the DSR and get a cheap room somewhere close.

At $189 a night they will cater to a different crowd for sure.   With the price of things now who has that kind of $$$ to pay for a room.     They will NEVER get that much (or even close)  in off season and I am being gracious saying they may fill it September though December.     Even with the tax deal (which sucks mind you)  it will bring a boost to the area but   NYS had their heads in their ****es though for sure though.   The taxes may come due in 10 years, but when the place is shut down and they do not get paid what then.    I am with HT 5 to 7 years tops

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

twobob
Pro Angler
Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/30 18:29:23 (permalink)
They will be fishing out of boats.
It will be Dave Barber all over again.
Tailwater will book them a boat for 300 clams then pay the guide 150 to 200.The sport won't know the lodge is taking a 50% "finder's fee" and then undertip the scab guide who did all the work.
I say scab because if nobody would work for the cut rate fee they would have to pay the going rate to the guides.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/30 18:57:30 (permalink)

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/30 19:45:17 (permalink)
db, I hear what your saying but your barking up the wrong tree to a bunch of fishermen who lost their playground.. That fight would be best fought with the local community.. Just sayin' ..
I gave it that timeline because any business model is on a 5 year profit return.. Such an investment such as reported 3.5 mill. would have to expect a profit within 5-7 years or go under.. I foresee the latter..
Clint:
As posted , it's a corporate scam.. And it's folks like us that get the shaft.. The bucks have to come from somewhere and yes, get passed down to the consumer..
The hardest thing for me also is what L-13 said.. WE (NYS) gave them the property and will pay out of our pockets for their profits.. Yes someone will profit even if it goes under..
The company I work for is BILLIONS (not millions) in debt , closing plants and laying people off left and right but the CEO's . investors and other fat cat's still collect HUGE bonuses.. Go figure..

I'm not so sure they will use boats.. Most will wander out back during retreat breaks to cast a line , get a seminar about fishing then wander back in when the dinner bell rings.. Maybe in between happy hr also..
Other then that I don't see the leaving the security of the property to rub elbows with Joe Dirt.. Well maybe a winter float for the real high end guests but thats about all I see..

Now the question was ask who will stay there at 189.00 per night ?
Well it's apples to oranges but who would pay $390.00 a night for DSR lodge ?  There are folks that do..
Heck Maybe the Tailwater will have the secret service parked mid river to ensure their clients get exclusive rights too.. (I was pizzed that day I went to fish there )..

Oh well , time will tell and I have no doubt feuds will ensue and more changes will happen.. I bet the law enforcement will spend more time in that short 2,000' of water then anywhere else on the entire river and again we will be paying for their time..
I will explore the area this late fall into winter (north bank of course) just to see how things transpire..  I'm sure the Warden will not like the likes of someone like me and it's good to know I got friends in the area to come bail me out..lol (just kidding on the last part)..

Peace & Tuna

retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/30 22:43:44 (permalink)
What irks me is that it was already PUBLIC property which is likely why no PFR was ever put on it then rather quickly sold to Pvt ownership for Sr activities and can happen from place to place throughout the SR system.
  A business survey of possible profit in a limited customer base like this could take time without Professional Fishing experience or even with some not to mention building a new corporation and registering it with the state and obtaining fiscal backing for the project.
 Code investigation and the resulting permit applications commonly require more than one or two revisions resulting in final  archetectual drawings being  a year or so in duration AFTER those other issues are in place.
 There are other steps as well  such as those pesky Federal and state inspections for health issues ( yes even in schools -especially old ones even when having been revamped) that commonly take large blocks of time to resolve not to mention months for initial results even if issues are  nonexistent.  Then of course the permitting for removals if needed . We had one take a year  extra just because of some old window caulking.
 Just try and establish a local eatery or bar  as fast as this got done with all the codes and regs  and formal drawings required on even a very small scale.
  NOT talkin construction time here- before that.
  In  the final analysis one may well believe this was in the pipeline  a very long time  before going public.
  Gotta wonder whos on the board or a registered backer cause they worked magic on the timeline IMHO.
 Rant over.
post edited by retired guy - 2013/08/30 23:17:32
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/31 06:56:53 (permalink)
RG  IMHO there were only 3 options for that property a hotel with pay to play or an assisted living facility. The later are hard to make any money on and there is a tremendous amount of red tape and regulations.  The final option (which  I thought would happen ) was to sit vacant.  All have to remember we are actually dealing with 3 schools here that go closed and went up for sale.  The Parish school was larger and newer, better parking, better HVAC,  1 mile from 81 and more centrally located.   any company would easily pick this building over the other 2 and they did.   Bipsperix the incubator company bought it fo manufacturing and shipping.   The Williamstown school is not the oldest, but in the worse shape needing alot of work  HVAC is shot, needs a roof and windows.   It had smaller rooms and would make a good living facility.  To my knowledge it has had a few bites but is vacant and sitting there rotting.   Altmar school was a no brainer, prime location riverfront property.   The district did what it had to do to sell it.   Do I fault them no way.   I do fault the state and the county for pushing it through on my dime.   Here is what I dug up on the tax deals

Tailwater got a tax deal from the Oswego County Industrial Development Agency earlier this year. The lodge will get an exemption from a portion of its assessed value for 10 years, said L. Michael Treadwell, executive director of Operation Oswego County, the county's economic development office.
The exemption starts at 60 percent and declines over the course of the deal. The project also got a sales tax break on materials and equipment for the renovation work worth about $104,000.
The hotel's assessment hasn't been determined yet, Treadwell said.

twobob
Pro Angler
Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/31 07:13:48 (permalink)
Tuna not so much last year, the fish were still moving up river, just getting slaughtered along the way.
But not closing it in 05 or 06 whichever was the dought-shortfall of eggs says alot.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Jump to: