Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
2013/08/22 18:09:06 (permalink)

Tailwater lodge.........

Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/TailwaterLodge

As guessed there are questions and some angry folks posting.   Posted on Facebook

"Tailwater Lodge has NOT changed or petitioned for any changes regarding the present public fishing rights that are in place. In regards to access, the north bank of the area known as the School House Pool and the surrounding areas is still public access. The South Bank only is going to be reserved for Tailwater Guests."

Someone asked

"
"So if i anchor my boat a foot off shore on the south side like myself and everyone else does am i good? You only own bank rights correct-"

Answer

" our property boundaries are to the middle of the river, but regulating drift boat traffic is not in our access plan. As with all of the river we are aiming for a courteous relationship between bank anglers and drift boat anglers. This will be one of those areas where we will look for more insight as the season progresses. Hopefully we will have a banner season, we look forward to seeing everyone on the river."

Pay to play

"In regards to fees,the bank area surrounding the lodge will be reserved for overnight guests there isn't a pay to play scenario at this time. The room rates will fluctuate with the seasons. We are working on the rate structure now."

I "liked" the page.  This could get interesting.    They will also have a "Pro shop"  selling gear.  I will
at least check it out.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

139 Replies Related Threads

Cohookhead3
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/22 19:16:47 (permalink)
    Um . . . No. Plenty of other sport shops I use. Wouldn't entertain these folks. Once they get the taste of money it won't stop and just grow into a monster like some other well known place on the river. IMO
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/22 19:33:19 (permalink)
    All Seasons  and Pineville sports shop has and will keep 99% of my business,   but that does not mean I will not go in, look around and check the place out.   I went to school in the district and there are many memories in that school for me.
    It's a double edged sword.  I live in the area and welcome any business that will contribute to the tax base and provide local jobs.   Do I agree with limiting public access, well no, but it is what it is.    There will be plenty of folks spending $$$ there from September through December,  but I can say that I probably will not be one of them. 

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/22 20:22:40 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info Clint . I don't do faceoff (book) so I appreciate what you share.
    They seem civil , at the moment. If all goes well then maybe it will end well. I will however miss the south bank from a shore angler myself.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/22 20:28:43 (permalink)
    My guess is that all civility will end when a high rolling customer lodges the first complaint about a drift boat parking in his "spot."

ssgt12
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 155
    Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/22 20:46:14 (permalink)
    90% of our bus. is with the salmon river sports shop but in the winter I will check the new place out   with the access only time will tell  sometime change is hard to take and yes I do fish that area

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/23 07:26:25 (permalink)
    Middle of the river is a dynamic thing, whereas property lines are usually set on paper. Once again, the plats that were shown earlier did not show their line in the river. Someone up there should check the actual plats which are public records and see where the line actually is.  Unless someone stops me, there is nothing to prevent me from throwing up a posted sign on state land, and thereby excluding he less edumacated on where the line actually is.  I saw it done in the 'daks this past summer.

I know I have voiced my opinion to NYSDEC that more of the money collected from the public for licenses to support a public fishery should be spent on obtaining the access to the PUBLIC fishery before we ends up with another PA.

L13 
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/23 08:35:32 (permalink)
    Middle of river is a funny grey area at times...most folks say that you need to own both sides to privatize your bank. I disagree... from my interpretation it seems as if you do own to the middle and there is no public easement in your deed... its yours and you can post as you please. Lucky, the public records map on the county site shows it just to the bank but read in to the site and the county assumes no responsibility for precise boundaries or accuracy... if it gets heated up there it will take surveyers lawyers and courts to prove whatever the truth is...
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/23 11:36:55 (permalink)
    Because a river's course, it's beds and banks, change regularly due to flooding there is no way to accurately determine property boundaries without a survey map.  I fear that the State may have missed an opportunity to secure fishing rights for generations to come by not demanding PFR with the sale of this once public property.
    post edited by troutbum21 - 2013/08/23 14:04:08
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/23 11:47:27 (permalink)
    You're absolutely right gerry. They did drop the ball on it. They have attempted to buy the rights from surrounding owners on the south bank(after the fact) with no luck. Which I don't blame the owners. Who in their right mind would sell a part of their own back yard for public use???

On the other hand, the school was owned by the local jurisdiction... it probably would've been an easy pre-sale for the village before selling it privately... so yes, the local Dec could've been more diligent on securing the pfr for that side...

On the other hand, putting fishing aside, the local community is left with a loss of free public open space... that school ground was a good place for young children to play and socialize... snowmobile in the winter...etc.etc... there really isn't anything for the youth in that locality to do. And now the village is abolished... hopefully something will happen for the community especially for the youth...

Enough politics for me...phew
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/23 14:14:01 (permalink)
    Politics aside, easements and division of parcels is done all the time to protect the public's interest.  The DEC needed only to purchase an area to provide parking and a trail to the river as well as a curtilage area from the river bed back some fifty or one hundred feet.  Think of all the money the State wasted on the purchase of the Portly Angler, more than enough to purchase the school property. 
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/23 16:21:27 (permalink)
    I  only think that there may be a precedent here because of what happened on Oak Orchard, where a couple of enterprising anglers (who some of us knew well from their days guiding on the SR) angered the local fishing community by basically doing exactly what this business is doing, and then got told that the bottom in the Oak was not part of the riparian property.  There is a difference between a riparian right, and a clear title to the bed and bottom.  And this may be another one where it will have to be resolved in court when the new " owners" prosecute someone for trespass on what may not be theirs to claim. Only time, and maybe discussion with someone who should know as steward of the public fishery, like Fran Verdoliva, will tell.

L13
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/23 17:45:18 (permalink)
    Seems to me I saw a property LINE on that map- irregardless of the meanderings of the  SR it would seem a line is a line.
     But then laws all too frequently defy common sense.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/23 19:13:03 (permalink)

This is straight from the Oswego county tax map viewer.......

3fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 668
    Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/23 19:54:15 (permalink)
    Im pulling plugs through there just like ive done the last 14 years! That looks like a lot of property from the view, they should put a par 3 golf course around the property and a 3d bow course through the woods, gonna pay taxs might as well use the land.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/23 20:09:45 (permalink)
    That property line does not go to the rivers edge in a few spots,how are they going to determine "their" exclusive fishing?
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/23 21:01:41 (permalink)
    If the aerial map that Clint posted is accurate only about a third of the property reaches into the river.  It looks as if it will be difficult to try and enforce trespassing laws particularly below the thumb in the center of the property.    
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/23 21:33:55 (permalink)
    Here is the link for he Oswego county tax site.
    On the Pin property there is a picture very similar to the one I posted
    On the view tax map it is  PDF and the lines are the same, but you cannot see the river, but the lines are the same.
      http://rptsweb.oswegocoun...y=08801800020020000000
    Only one small chunk actually goes out into the river.  
    I notice in the facebook posts he does say they own to the middle, but always says the "Bank"   is for guests.

I would guess  if they start trying to kick boats out, the guides will get PO's and take them to court..................

I just posted this picture on their site  right after where they stated they owned to the middle and asked if this was an accurate rendering of the lines.   
    2 to 1 it gets pulled.................
    post edited by Clint S - 2013/08/23 21:49:21

twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/24 01:49:22 (permalink)
    I thought in the Joke Orchard case eventually the owner had a new survey done and found he own that property actually  owned more of the river than he was originally posting.
     Didn't the state cave and pay him to allow access, which is what he asked for from the start.?
    post edited by twobob - 2013/08/24 03:00:48
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/24 08:43:23 (permalink)

With all those large trees in bloom along the line its impossible to  see where the waters edge  actually is .
      The fact that the line is shown into mid river in one small area might just be saying they DONT own to to the mid anyplace else.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/24 09:47:53 (permalink)
    This is also from the oswego co page
    The borders are clear
    http://rptsgisweb.oswegoc...000000&swis=352000

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/24 10:49:53 (permalink)
    WOW Clint- according to that they dont even own the actual streamside bank in most of the area. Looks like one could walk the bank in from upstream bout halfway into their riverside line and not be on their property at all.
      But hey- they are putting a few MILLION into it and one may well believe they didnt do that without guarantees and assurances.
        'Exclusive ' according to this is a gross overstatement --lol.
     When looking at similar Govt. maps of my property up there the lines are VERY accurate- dont see this being different.
     Gonna be interesting----
    post edited by retired guy - 2013/08/24 10:53:45
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/24 11:34:51 (permalink)
    I think the maps serve to illustrate the point I made earlier about changes in the stream bed from erosion.  The area that shows the property line toward mid stream may once have been dry land with the entire stream channel to the north of that location.  Also the jaggedness of the property line along streamside may indicate where land once met water.  
    post edited by troutbum21 - 2013/08/24 11:37:58
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/24 12:21:31 (permalink)
       Some odd recorded lines to say the least however a proper new  survey was very likely made prior to purchase- That one will be recorded with the County Clerk however one may well believe it wont be on a computer for some time.
     When I bought my place a few years back even though it had no mortgage I insisted on a new proper recorded survey by a certified appraisal company- would bet the farm these folks did likewise.
     Noteworthy that mine directly mirrored the old ones but it should be done whenever a property changes hands- banks insist on it when fronting dollars.
     Generally nothing changes but---no surprises.
      Next thought will be what is the 'rule' about river access to frontage owners who dont actually own the riverbed- or perhaps even the few feet (in some places ) between their line and the river edge. ??
     Puts the State in a real bind with guys wanting more PFR and the new 'business' likely NOT owning to the actual rivers edge in some areas--  lol.
     (make ya a bet on  PFR there)
     BTW- who does own those few feet shown on the map ???
    post edited by retired guy - 2013/08/24 20:54:08
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/24 14:34:41 (permalink)
    The bed and remainder of the river across the way are listed as Niagara Mohawk, as is the stretch downstream on their side.  It is likely NIMO sold the north shore access to NYS as an easement as that is all shown as PFR.  It will be interesting to watch this develop and hear the song and dance that DEC comes up with  if it is not the school's bed in that section.  Money talks, nobody wades!

L13
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/24 15:01:21 (permalink)
    Sounds like thats THAT- If the BED is Niagara so long to  the privacy beyond that property line  -- lol.
     Would imagine BED means to the normal bank of the River-still leaves some bank in question according to the property maps lines but the Bed seems to answer any question I had.
     Would suggest folks fishing there carry a copy of the property line map and the paperwork that Lucky found with the Bed language.
     Used to carry all my prop maps when Deer hunting in a zip lock- in case anyone with a badge questioned my position.
     Its gonna get hysterical-might start going there instead of Tressel for laughs.
    post edited by retired guy - 2013/08/24 15:06:16
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/25 07:52:43 (permalink)
    All I went on is the tax map that you gave us the link for, Clint.  There is no language there, bur it showed all the properties so I clicked on the neighboring one.  I think the language that needs to be checked is the deed, or you could also speak to the people in the tax office. 

Here's a question?  Was an environmental review of the project ever done?   a lot of this issue may have been covered in that.

L13
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/25 08:24:06 (permalink)
    I cannot totally use the page as I have script blockers that will not let me hover and click on properties.    Thanks for looking that stuff up L13.   It is going to get interesting.  

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/25 10:35:39 (permalink)
       We can peer over the maps all we want ( I do )- Am sure those investing Millions knew  what the deal was - likely their ads describe whats  correct- like it or not.
     This year will produce a learning curve for average fisherfolks - next they will be used to it.
       A  kick in the butt to  protect the public fishery further with more PFR- it brings  Millions into the  fiscally depressed local area- they should be protecting the investment.
      The Ball Park was talked about not long ago.  Whats public now  may not always be .
     That said they are talking about more  trails along the North side through the Staircase from Downtown Pool including whats now PVT.-- so there is interest by Govt --good.

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re:Tailwater lodge......... 2013/08/25 20:25:53 (permalink)
    Forgot to post.   When I went by yesterday there looked to be ALOT to be  finished from an outside perspective.   From the looks they will be lucky to open 9/1 AND no one was working.   Parking lot was somewhat torn up and the school pretty much looks the same. 

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
    Jump to: