AnsweredHot!Weather thread

Page: << < ..121122123124125.. > >> Showing page 121 of 199
Author
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
Re:Weather thread 2016/01/23 23:16:57 (permalink)
As far as cluttering up this thread with gas auger talk have at it. It should be called "the mosty weather and other stuff thread''.   I thought about a power auger, but did not want the cost or weight. I opted for a nil's and am happy so far.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re:Weather thread 2016/01/23 23:33:27 (permalink)
Thanks Clint, as for the ice auger you bought i'm not familiar with the name.  I thought, last year about getting a conversion kit and I know some of the guys are happy with their's.  I'd have to buy a better drill motor to go that route plus the conversion kit.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2016/01/24 06:55:24 (permalink)
Nil's has an offset handle making it easier to turn. If the blades are sharp I can cut holes 2 if not 3 to 1 on my old Eskimo auger. The cutting edge is also a different design too, there are only a few places in the  US that cn sharpen them. Unless you slam them down or cut near a beach and get in sand they stay shape for a long time.  Little more price than others, but won't break the bank either. I think I paid about  $150 for mine. Heads are like $75. As far as fishing I usually never hit the ice until a week after everyone else does. I am paranoid. Hitting Oneida next weekend if possible.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2016/01/24 06:57:53 (permalink)
I too am thinking about a conversion kit as I take a drill out anyway. I heard keep the patties warm, buy a good drill and only expect 10  to 15 holes. 8 inch augers are a no go unless you have a REALLY GOOD drill

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2016/01/24 07:36:22 (permalink)
Interesting Clint, I'll do some research on the Nil's.   I'm hearing 18 volt minimum for a drill using a 8" auger and drilling capacity is limited so extra batteries will be required.  I get to looking at the cost and wonder if  a propane auger wouldn't be worth buying.  Then I get to reading reviews on the different brands only to see gasoline models are still highly recommended and the next thing, I'm somewhere between, dazed and confused.

There will be times I may need but, 1 or 2 holes cut, like over some wood, then there will be times when I'm fishing a sharp drop off into deep water and may need several holes to fish the different levels with tip-ups.  Not forgetting those times I might have to check umpteen locations to find fish.   Dang, I need a nap just from talking about ice fishing.

Weather conditions not looking nice for ice in my area after the next day or so.  I sure won't be running out anytime soon to get a power auger but come next ice season, I want to be ready to go.  

Read some interesting conversations by some seasoned hard water anglers on the forum so I know, there's a few of yinz, that have walked the walk when it comes to cutting holes through the ice.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
Re:Weather thread 2016/01/24 08:26:35 (permalink)
Still have plenty of beer. And plenty of snow. We were right on the line between getting a bunch and getting a little. A bit north of us they got six inches. My patio table, which is 32" high got buried. So I am calling it at 33"-35".

Had to shovel a constitutional path and open area for the pointers to do their business. Was too tired for beer afterward. So it will be a mix of Franzakanner and Pilsner Urquell while sitting in our snow globe house watching football.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2016/01/24 08:35:00 (permalink)
Be safe and stay warm Dardys, El Nino is on the way.......  Think Spring! 

Tip one for me... 10-4?

pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re:Weather thread 2016/01/24 10:20:00 (permalink)
We got 31.7" as measured by the weather service,most ever in one day in this area,now I will crank up the blower and have at it for awhile 'till I get tired then watch football and stuff myself.
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
Re:Weather thread 2016/01/24 10:27:35 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Be safe and stay warm Dardys, El Nino is on the way.......  Think Spring!  Tip one for me... 10-4?

Just one?

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2016/01/24 10:48:46 (permalink)
Although  I wish the snow on no one and urge everyone to dispense of it sow and easy I find it funny how some folks act when they get this much. We usually get at least 3 to 4 a winter due to the LE. I know we are better equipped ect ect, but it's not the end of the world. Wait till it stops and resume life.

On another note I would say I have enough food, fuel and supplies to last close to a month if I had to. How many others here are prepared for over a few days?????

crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3349
Re:Weather thread 2016/01/24 12:07:14 (permalink)
 Keep a 3 yr. supply ov wood to keep house 75-83*

crappy
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re:Weather thread 2016/01/24 12:08:04 (permalink)
I could live on the grains and frozen and canned veggies and meats I have for quite some time, but I would run out of fresh green leafies and dairy after about two weeks, as they just don't keep.
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3067
Re:Weather thread 2016/01/24 13:05:58 (permalink)
We dodged the bullet here- only bout 8 inches- now its melting off sidewalks and roads.
Good luck to all with that deep stuff---
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
Re:Weather thread 2016/01/24 20:34:24 (permalink)
Clint S
Although  I wish the snow on no one and urge everyone to dispense of it sow and easy I find it funny how some folks act when they get this much. We usually get at least 3 to 4 a winter due to the LE. I know we are better equipped ect ect, but it's not the end of the world. Wait till it stops and resume life.

On another note I would say I have enough food, fuel and supplies to last close to a month if I had to. How many others here are prepared for over a few days?????

Amen! I had to turn off the news after the third time they repeated the same song and dance instead of covering additional news... the over hyping is getting very old. Give us a reasonable heads up with realistic expectations and move on already!
We are good here for a few weeks at least, as Lucky said it is fresh dairy and greens we would miss, though we could do fine without them. My 100 year old pot belly stove works just fine no matter what the power line status is and the chickens will keep us in fresh eggs. We butchered 37 birds this weekend, so no problem with meat supplies either! LOL....
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2016/01/24 20:50:44 (permalink)
Mercy, if I have to depend on my hunting and fishing to get me through a disaster.............

crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3349
Re:Weather thread 2016/01/25 01:19:06 (permalink)
 Have a large cooler ov Bison meat on porch a case ov Kool-aid packs & the soapstone was baken potatoes today.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2016/01/25 05:42:39 (permalink)
Fisherlady2
Clint S

Amen! I had to turn off the news after the third time they repeated the same song and dance instead of covering additional news... the over hyping is getting very old. Give us a reasonable heads up with realistic expectations and move on already!
We are good here for a few weeks at least, as Lucky said it is fresh dairy and greens we would miss, though we could do fine without them. My 100 year old pot belly stove works just fine no matter what the power line status is and the chickens will keep us in fresh eggs. We butchered 37 birds this weekend, so no problem with meat supplies either! LOL....

Amen and Amen.

All the "drama hype for T.V. ratings" is ridiculous and does nothing but create a "cry wolf" syndrome.  When a real situation occurs nobody listens or pays attention.  Do yinz recall this same "over hype for ratings" TWC pulled that caused the North East big cities to activate their emergency preparedness programs and nothing happened, some pretty big uproars resulted from that drama show. 

No doubt why TWC was saying, "maybe, might, could be , somewhere, sometime, we think" when they were dramatizing this storm.  But yet, they gotta 'name the storms' then use phrases like monster storm Jonas, devastating storm Jonas, crippling storm Jonas in every sentence and now that the storm is history their telling us "Jonas: Killer storm will go down in history".  Really..... "Jonas" will be recorded; what do you know about that, well slap my knee and paint me stupid.   ummmmm, maybe forget the 'slapping' part of that.  Anyway, giving credit where credit is do, I at least appreciate TWC staying with the NWS maps instead of creating their own versions of the storm path and projected snow fall totals, this time.  

I haven't heard how TWC's projection of MILLIONS will be without power as a result of "Monster Storm Jonas" panned out.  But, you can rest assured somebody, somewhere could be, for a period of time, without electricity because of "crippling storm Jonas".  Which will create a situation brought on by "devastating killer storm Jonas" whereby there may be a possibility somewhere, somebody, may not be able to use their electric snow blower.  OMG, not that....... ain't right a guy can't use his snowblower at such a golden opportunity.

But the real clincher, the absolutely, positively, no uncertain proof, monster devastating killer storm Jonas would be imminent, was the models.  No not the computer models, but the, repeated camera shot of the empty bread shelf model. 

Well geez look at that, I gotta get, time for my therapy session.

Be well, stay warm and, think spring.

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2016/01/25 08:03:44 (permalink)
The week before the next storm they will be showing pictures of those empty shelves increasing whatever hype exists then.
pafisher
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2016/01/25 09:39:29 (permalink)
I got out with the blower yesterday and had at it.After a couple hours I was too tired to continue so I quit and watched football.Biggest job was where driveway enters street,there was a long pile from the street plows that was at least 5' high.That took at least a hour of back and forth to clear,and this morning I find a new pile to clear AGAIN!I got about 50% of the rest of my driveway open yesterday and hope to get the rest open today,I have a LOT of drive way to clear,at least 300-400 feet in length.
Have I mentioned before that I HATE SNOW!!!
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2016/01/25 11:56:39 (permalink)
I'm a NIMBY so I don't mind snow no matter, how often or, how much falls as long as it's.....  Not IMBack Yard!!!!

pafisher, take care with the snow removal, I too have a 300 ft. driveway and I feel your pain 'cause I've BTDT!!!

pafisher
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2016/01/25 16:04:43 (permalink)
Got the driveway open so I can get out if the need arises but it still has snow on parts of it that I can avoid if I want.I had to quit today 'cause I was running out of gas,went out and got some for tomorrows effort.
bigbear2012
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 725
Re:Weather thread 2016/01/27 09:11:12 (permalink)
40+ inches down here ....love it...it reminds me of being at camp. but people down here about sh1t their collective britches when it snows :)

wishin i was fishin
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2016/01/27 11:35:22 (permalink)
Melting  fast here- still green grass showing all over and roads clear and getting dry.
Winter??- 40s and 50s for most of the next 10 days here--- wow---
Great season for all kinds of game animals-especially with our fantastic mast crop this year.
My last Deer this year was bout as fat and any I have ever cleaned.
Hope its the turnaround year for the next cycle of SR game fishes.

My closing up in Pulaski may have been held off for a couple of weeks-gonna be different without it.
Really liked it up there for all seasons- even those without much fishing.
post edited by r3g3 - 2016/01/27 11:43:08
pafisher
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2016/01/27 11:58:04 (permalink)
Snow melting here also but there is no grass in sight.Now I see they are talking about another system coming from out west.Some areas they are saying blizzard conditions,looks like rain is in store for my local.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2016/01/27 19:02:33 (permalink)
We got a quick three inches this am. Soooooooo they cancel school..................

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2016/01/29 09:21:22 (permalink)
Good Morning Fish/USA Nation; Tis a winters day here in my little piece of PA.  Wind is NW at 14 gusting to 20+ MPH bringing lake effect snow from muup Lake Erie way. We are presently at our temperature high of 26`F. with a wind chill of 14-ish.  

I'm thinking maybe of stowing the ice fishing gear for the day and waxing-up the runners on my ice schooner if only, I could remember where I last parked it.  I know I moved it out of the way last July so, the better half could have her garage sale.

Oh well I could just kickback, have some coffee, and watch power ice auger comparison test on YouTube. As boring as that sounds, it still beats the hell out of sitting around watching paint dry.  Giving that some thought; no not watching paint dry, the ice auger thing I could write a reality program for TV and call it "ICE AUGER WARS" or "ICE ROAD POWER AUGERS". 

I gotta go, I think I'm getting a case of 'brain freeze' and I ain't drinking a milkshake.

Tite lines to those venturing forth upon the ice and to those not, think spring.

Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re:Weather thread 2016/01/29 11:05:43 (permalink)
You could call the video "Boring Boring tests" 
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2016/01/29 11:48:21 (permalink)
Next Wednesday is predicted to be an awful winters day here in central Ct.
57 degrees and showers.
Cant wait for spring.
pafisher
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2016/01/29 12:00:00 (permalink)
Now they are predicting thunderstorms locally on wed.,that won't be good on the snow covered ground.....Floods!
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re:Weather thread 2016/01/29 12:24:45 (permalink)
Since Tuesday night we have been holding below freezing after sunset and just hovering above in the daylight . Going to hit big water tomorrow for lakers then my secret puddle on Sunday for pannies again.
Temps Sunday are expected to be 47 and above freezing into all next week including rain.
That right there will probably kill my pannie puddle for the season , there has been open water all season there anyway .

I do think the northern frozen waters will survive through feb but anything not locked , most likely won't lock .
This winter has been brutal !!!

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
Page: << < ..121122123124125.. > >> Showing page 121 of 199
Jump to: