AnsweredHot!Weather thread

Page: << < ..116117118119120.. > >> Showing page 117 of 199
Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
Re:Weather thread 2015/12/23 21:56:08 (permalink)
BTDT ..
Happy Christmas, happy trails.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1625
Re:Weather thread 2015/12/24 11:39:46 (permalink)
Jack great to hear you got out!
It is near 70 degrees right now. Saturation is an understatement... the ground was saturated before 16" of snow fell last week, and now it all melted on top of torrential rainy. Absolutely gorgeous out right now though. Wishing everyone a very merry Christmas and Happy new year :)
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/12/24 12:08:03 (permalink)
Oh yeah, and looking forward, day time highs of 30'some and over night lows of teens and 20's are very near. The lake surface temps are currently middle 40's last I heard. I have a feeling jan-April will host quite a few LE bombs... with an average to above average winter forecasted, we may get just what we need to help stabilize our fragile conditions we have been seeing in our fishery. I'm hoping for big snowfalls and atleast 2-3 thaws this winter. We've already had one big thaw from the 10-30+ inches we got between the eastern lake region and upper tug hill... keep it coming ma' nature... we need it :)
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/12/24 12:57:50 (permalink)
Good to see you still kicking around here Db.
Well wishes and be merry:)
Looks like you'll have to catch me on the striper run or 2016 Great Lake adventures

dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/12/24 14:43:14 (permalink)
Maybe the second time signing in in the past few months. Great to see everyone is doing well. 2015 was a brute in many ways. 2 years (and counting) ahead on firewood, and a years worth of various meats in the freezer... among many other milestones. Life is good. May all enjoy... and 2016 better watch out :)
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3068
Re:Weather thread 2015/12/24 17:43:17 (permalink)
Have a great X Mass folks

Nice to hear ya Andy
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/12/25 10:30:45 (permalink)
WOW X-Mass day and the sun is out and  its 65 degrees.
Its been warm, cloudy and rainy for two weeks-
Deer aint moving worth squat during the day and have 3 new scrapes within 50 yds of my spot. Been there at all daylight times ( in the rain and drizzle) for 2 weeks and just some flatheads moving real early.
So damp that everything in my garage has a wet film on it- mould on my apple trees is growing and  grass is still getting taller too.
Nice to have the warm weather but some sun and drying out is much needed.
Gonna get cloudy and wet again tomorrow.
Sunny for Monday and will be in my spot at 0'dark 30.
Real glad to hear the lake may have lousy ice this year--it needs a break to start turning things around.
Have a GREAT day folks---
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re:Weather thread 2015/12/25 12:21:28 (permalink)
Merry Christmas to all.  There were snap dragons flowering at my Brother's last night, other blossoms on plants in the garden at church this AM. 
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re:Weather thread 2015/12/26 00:25:43 (permalink)
Anybody else get to see this view of the full moon Christmas night;  Another full moon won't occur on December 25 for another 19 years.  Sorry to say my picture doesn't show, just how awesome the moon looked, captured in a ring.

Just awesome.................
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2015/12/26 09:15:27

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/12/26 05:42:24 (permalink)
It was quite a sight btdt... I saw grass grow and dandelions pop throughout the past two days lucky as well
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/12/26 06:21:54 (permalink)
Actually still on the high rise looking east at 6:21 a.m. on this post christmas day :)
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/12/26 08:14:40 (permalink)
That Moon ring was great-- looked like a rainbow around it for a while.
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/12/26 08:27:38 (permalink)
Absolutely was magnificent trev. Edit: looking west not east :)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/12/26 09:32:01 (permalink)
Correction.......  Next time will be 2034 or, 19 years and not 24 years as first stated, stupid spell checker.

Hope everyone had a safe and Merry Christmas and with that, I should like to go play with my brand new lump of coal!

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/12/26 17:50:29 (permalink)
missed the moon but caught the rise ... This weather has been pretty nice to say the least.. I will take this break for now from the harsh past 2 winters..
Loaded the J-boat last eve and hit the open water today for a windless peaceful day of pan fishing.. Oars were the power source.. Not a soul in sight and nothing but sweet sunshine to welcome my adventure..
Salmon, steelhead, timing a cast nah.. Unless it's to laugh the day away with 3 fan or ride the waves of the great lake those days are distant memories .. I will take times like these , all day, everyday for what's left in my life..  
Pic's were taken, fish were caught but only in my memories will they re live ..
My Santa presents have been spent moments ago here on FishUSA..
The Fish gripper, ice rod hard case and new casting - jigging rod should arrive in the next few days..

Now I will hunker down and prepare for the winter which will come .. The water will freeze and the fish will fear me again..
Peace & Tuna

Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re:Weather thread 2015/12/27 08:47:52 (permalink)
Moon was HUGE. One bad thing about the weather has been the bangers in the 'cuse have had extra time to shoot and stab each other so work has been busy.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re:Weather thread 2015/12/27 08:54:05 (permalink)
TOO MUCH WATER!!!......Just checked the flow gauges on creeks in Erie and they are blown and with rain predicted for the next couple days it will be awhile 'till they come down.Don't know if I'll get out again this trip.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/12/27 09:54:28 (permalink)
I had a front row seat to a wonderful 'audio/visual' presentation of "Thunder And Lighting In December" this morning followed by a trailer of "Heavy Down Pours".

Matters not which window I peer through, all the fields surrounding my house, now lay heavy with water.

Still raining, sometimes heavy, and expected to continue thru today.

Could this be the winter that December showers bring January flowers?
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2015/12/27 09:55:52

pafisher
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/12/27 11:54:23 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
I had a front row seat to a wonderful 'audio/visual' presentation of "Thunder And Lighting In December" this morning followed by a trailer of "Heavy Down Pours".

Matters not which window I peer through, all the fields surrounding my house, now lay heavy with water.

Still raining, sometimes heavy, and expected to continue thru today.

Could this be the winter that December showers bring January flowers?

Well at least it is n't snow! If it were it would be in feet,not inches.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/12/27 12:17:55 (permalink)
There ain't nothing like a BIG batch of pre-melted snow in my book.  I don't mind the cold temperatures, and ice if it is on a the lakes, but the snow.............. blehhhhh!

Found this calculator; thought some might enjoy using it for some giggles.  http://www.csgnetwork.com/snowraincvt.html  
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2015/12/27 12:22:48

fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re:Weather thread 2015/12/27 12:22:33 (permalink)
I don't know about Jan. blooms, but I don't doubt it'll bring lots more flowery prose due to lack of fishing.   From the top of Giant above Keene Valley, yesterday, there wasn't a spot of white to be seen on the High Peaks, even those over 5k. We made it to 4626. Icy and steep, kinda was a beech with 3500 of gain.  The pond is Giant Washbowl and is a great float tube brookie spot. The only ice on ponds we saw, and this one is over 3,000 in ele.  We've snowshoed over 2-3 feet into this pond  right after Christmas. Met a guy from Rochester that is into bagging the big  peaks in fair weather, aka S/S/F, came and did this one because of the amazing mild weather.  'daks ain't supposed to look like this, now.  Placid is going to hit 10 the next few nights and stay coldish through the week. It's starting.  I think this is the year I  do more backpacking with   my ultralight float tube set-up into some high ADK ponds.  Very high on my favorite thing to do list.
Washbowl has smallish fish, but in a beyond beautiful setting.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/12/27 14:41:16 (permalink)
Awesome Charlie !! Washbowl was a reclaimed pond a few years back and don't underestimate the size in there
My friend Larry who is 67, brings his Hornbeck up there .. One year he trekked all the way up only to find it still completely iced.. While there are a few decent ponds in the high peaks area , most or the best are just prior or after..
I can point you to some if you wish.. One that is prior is called what happens when a fish gets hooked deep and is a real ...... mess.. Pond fishing is awesome and I do miss that..  One thing to think about is to try and fish them before the spring aircraft stockings.. Some get fall stocking also but not all of them.. It's kinda a PIA after they stock because you cant keep the dinks away.. 
Hope your Holiday went well and have a great 2016..

While the weather isn't bad at all out today, there was a lack of sunshine.. We didn't get much rain here.... Bummer the streams blew out for ya Jack but yes, still better then snow.. I don't like SNOW ..
Not trying to one up you Charlie, it seems we always keep uploading pictures around the same day.. Please keep yours coming as I totally enjoy them , Thank You for sharing..
So here is a shot from yesterdays boat trip:

and the shopping spree I went on, geesh Clint.. These things never last more then a day in my hands..lol

YES , its coming !!!!
Next weeks temps up north.. I smell ICE !!!!!

fichy
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/12/27 15:44:44 (permalink)
I bet I could show you a few , too.  Think you can still get up there?  Pretty easy climb on the  keyboard.  
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/12/27 17:02:47 (permalink)
Best wishes in 2016

Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re:Weather thread 2015/12/27 18:14:10 (permalink)
Rich I still have not decided what to get. I am a hoarder too. Right now I have the Fish USA, gander Mt and ducks cards to use............

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/12/27 18:56:53 (permalink)
Sayyyyy, if'n yinz are havin trouble buying something with them cards, my  will be here in a couple months [Hint, hint]

Happy New Year folks

pafisher
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/12/27 19:18:08 (permalink)
fichy
I don't know about Jan. blooms, but I don't doubt it'll bring lots more flowery prose due to lack of fishing.   From the top of Giant above Keene Valley, yesterday, there wasn't a spot of white to be seen on the High Peaks, even those over 5k. We made it to 4626. Icy and steep, kinda was a beech with 3500 of gain.  The pond is Giant Washbowl and is a great float tube brookie spot. The only ice on ponds we saw, and this one is over 3,000 in ele.  We've snowshoed over 2-3 feet into this pond  right after Christmas. Met a guy from Rochester that is into bagging the big  peaks in fair weather, aka S/S/F, came and did this one because of the amazing mild weather.  'daks ain't supposed to look like this, now.  Placid is going to hit 10 the next few nights and stay coldish through the week. It's starting.  I think this is the year I  do more backpacking with   my ultralight float tube set-up into some high ADK ponds.  Very high on my favorite thing to do list.
Washbowl has smallish fish, but in a beyond beautiful setting.

Great Pictures Charlie,those mountains look strange without the white stuff but that's gonna change next week.
uglyfish
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 561
Re:Weather thread 2015/12/27 21:09:19 (permalink)
Charlie if your looking for company I'm game. Foot should be good to go by then, actually going to get a float tube to experience some new adventures. I had some internet issues the past few days merry belated Christmas to all. Things are a little high here from the resent rain but going to wet a line tomorrow any ways. I got a new rod to try out and I'm kind of walking around but it might just be at the easiest access but at least I'll be out there. Got to get out there before the snow that's coming before I slip and mess more things up.
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/12/28 07:05:10 (permalink)
Great pics guys!!! After our 16" of snow melted quite a few dandelions bloomed and popped. I worked in the drenching rain for 5 days straight on a ground water drainage project in my back yard with good succes. Last night the weather turned and it started snowing. A 1" crust was what I woke up to at 4 a.m. it was 21 fahrenheit. Winter is definitely upon us. I can only hope at this point to do some adk back back hikes this summer... enjoy the day folls
fichy
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/12/28 11:49:45 (permalink)
uglyfish
Charlie if your looking for company I'm game. Foot should be good to go by then, actually going to get a float tube to experience some new adventures. I had some internet issues the past few days merry belated Christmas to all. Things are a little high here from the resent rain but going to wet a line tomorrow any ways. I got a new rod to try out and I'm kind of walking around but it might just be at the easiest access but at least I'll be out there. Got to get out there before the snow that's coming before I slip and mess more things up.

You're always welcome, Wayne. We'll get out there in the daks and the greens, and make a point of doing a trip with Bill. Not only will it increase our discount mojo, the man is a natural born storyteller and  as entertaining  a fishing and campfire buddy as you can find. Some of the  pond campsites out in the Lye Brook wilderness are out of this world.  I have enough backpacking equipment for 3 or 4 people and a spare float tube.  Don't mess that foot up when the good stuff'll be around the corner!
    Andy, nothing like doing a drainage project when you can see the results as you dig.... Glad you got it done before it got hard.  BTDT.  A month ago, I jacked up the back half  of a house, as the foundation is  leaning and gonna go. I told the owners I could  stabilize it , but I was afraid to do the excavation and start the concrete work with the onset of winter. Now I look like a liar. Good thing i got good cred. They understood and it's safe til Spring. I suppose the other part of the equation is waiting to work on most of this house  because it passes lots of good fishing on the way home!  I go right past Uglyfish's, too.  Oh well, somebody's got to do it.  Happy New Year's folks,  I'm once again passing on the SR for New Years  (I did make 5 years straight)  but will be in the midst of a 3 day backpacking trip  and on a mountain top  for NY's eve. You get older, you seek quiet , rather than the noise, at least for me.  The SR may be far quieter this year, at this time,  than the recent past, but it's getting hard for me to get Nancy to want to go with the recent crowds and the type of azzhats we dealt with. Things change, and if they don't, I DO.  Clint will probably go and land 5 double digit fish; if I lived 15 minutes away, I 'd go, but I don't. Good luck to all that do.
Page: << < ..116117118119120.. > >> Showing page 117 of 199
Jump to: