Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
FlashDance
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 968
  • Reward points: 0
2007/10/10 08:59:40 (permalink)

What do you see/thing about this picture

This picture appears in a 2008 calendar that I received yesterday.

Take a look.

Please comment.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/swjankovic/CalendarFish-1.jpg

52 Replies Related Threads

pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: What do you see/thing about this picture 2007/10/10 09:01:01 (permalink)
    Is the fly hooked outside of the mouth?
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    RE: What do you see/thing about this picture 2007/10/10 09:04:28 (permalink)
    If that's what it is... then it's interesting they published it in a calendar. Or... they didn't even realize it.
    FlashDance
    Expert Angler
    RE: What do you see/thing about this picture 2007/10/10 09:06:38 (permalink)
    Wow, that was quick.

Sure looks like that fish was lined to me.

Want to guess who sent me that calendar?
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    RE: What do you see/thing about this picture 2007/10/10 09:08:22 (permalink)
    Yeah that's what it looks like...

Who sent it?
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: What do you see/thing about this picture 2007/10/10 09:11:19 (permalink)
    WOW  Clousers are good snagging tools I guess  LOL

If you blow it up you can see the tail of the fly under the lower jaw......

pxatim
    Pro Angler
    RE: What do you see/thing about this picture 2007/10/10 09:13:12 (permalink)
    yeah you can just see it coming out the other side
    killdeer19
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 654
    RE: What do you see/thing about this picture 2007/10/10 09:16:54 (permalink)
    Let me guess... TU calander?
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: What do you see/thing about this picture 2007/10/10 09:20:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: killdeer19

Let me guess... TU calander?

That would be my guess too

Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    RE: What do you see/thing about this picture 2007/10/10 09:20:45 (permalink)
    looks like the line is under the jaw.
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    RE: What do you see/thing about this picture 2007/10/10 09:23:29 (permalink)
    FlashDance
    Expert Angler
    RE: What do you see/thing about this picture 2007/10/10 09:29:52 (permalink)
    You fellas are good.

I haven't sent them money in several years because that one time proud, wonderful organization has gone directly down the crapper.

It's stuff like this that they should notice and put a stop too.

In the picture, the line is going under the fish, but when that fish was hooked, it was lined.
    That's the only way you can get the hook in the jaw that way.

Guess I should give credit where credit is due:

Photo by: Barry and Cathy Beck
    Published: Trout 2008 - December - The Official Calendar of Trout Unlimited

pxatim
    Pro Angler
    RE: What do you see/thing about this picture 2007/10/10 09:35:45 (permalink)
    You think they just missed that? Or they knew and published it anyways...cause it is a pretty neat picture, minus it being lined.

Either way it should have been caught before being published.
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: What do you see/thing about this picture 2007/10/10 09:41:55 (permalink)
    Nothing new, there's thousands of "fisherman" who stand there and line salmon all day long, all over the great lakes, and it appears the west coast as well, because that's a King with the coloration from out there.

The Becks are on the home page of the Spring ridge club right now, don't miss your chance to get you FREE Beck photo wallpaper!!! LOL

http://www.springridgeclubs.com/
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    RE: What do you see/thing about this picture 2007/10/10 09:45:49 (permalink)
    All that said, I've occassional watched fish take a fly and when I landed it the hook showed up in strange places. Hooks can move during a battle, sometimes the line gets rapped around a fish as it twists and turns, then if the hook pulls out it ends up somewhere else. But most likely, that fish was lined.  I've even seen lined fish where the hook ended up inside the mouth or in the tongue. Things happen when big fish are thrashing around.
    Sculpin 14
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 429
    RE: What do you see/thing about this picture 2007/10/10 10:54:53 (permalink)
    Well at least I know I should start looking for my calander, I have never sent them any money but they end up sending me three calanders every year?
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: What do you see/thing about this picture 2007/10/10 11:29:10 (permalink)
    Interesting picture.  I wonder if the guy who landed it realized the fish was lined?  I talked with a guy yesterday who was lining fish and explained why what he was doing was wrong and either he did not honestly know, or was covering up.  He had a hard time understanding that dropping the fly on the far side of the fish and then pulling the line through the mouth was a wrong thing to do.  He was watching as a fish hit my sucker spawn and he said that was the same thing as what he was doing.  When I showed him the fish and where the fly was located and explained the difference, he just shock his head and walked down the stream.  My impression was he did not understand the difference between a fish taking a fly and lining a fish.

pax vobiscum +
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: What do you see/thing about this picture 2007/10/10 11:51:08 (permalink)
    Still, just looked at SRC website and noticed their adv. for erie.  They say and I quote "In 2006 SRC was given the opportunity to aquire access to several miles of outstanding steelhead trout waters on 3 tribs from Lake Erie. These fish are wild, beautiful and have given our members hours and hours of back breaking etc etc etc." Am I missing something ???? Wild ???? What's up ???? I guess when you have money you can lie with impunity. Wild ??? They just appeared out of nowhere for SRC members to enjoy!!!  All the rest of us have to fish for stocked steelhead, what a bummer.   First and last time SRC will ever be on my mind, they aren't worth living rent free in my head.  Dave
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: What do you see/thing about this picture 2007/10/10 12:20:38 (permalink)
    Without hijacking the thread,  elephanthead, you bring up an interesting point.  Wild steelhead?  I guess if DB did not have to stock them and allowed the rest of us poor slobs to fund the stocking,  he might think they are wild.  Also, since he does not feed these fish like the ones I have heard he feeds on "his" streams, he might also think they are wild.

If it weren't for the fact that the license buying fishing public as well as local clubs who actually pay for the fish that DB and his clients are catching, I would just laugh at the whole thing.  It makes me sick that this guy and his rich buddies are making a killing off publicly subsidized fish and all the while telling the world how much good they are doing conserving the streams of PA. 

BTW - I had a thought.  As far as I know it is illegal to sell or traffic in game fish caught in PA waters.  Why is it legal then to charge outrageous fees to fish for the fish?  At some level that could be seen as selling or trafficing in game fish.  I realize they are selling the opportunity to catch the fish and not the fish themselves, but somehow that seems like an end run around the intent of the law, which in my humble opinion and I am no lawyer, to prevent people from making a profit directly off of the game fish.  Oh well, I am sure if you have enough money, you can justify anything.

pax vobiscum +
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: What do you see/thing about this picture 2007/10/10 12:36:37 (permalink)
    Bug -

I really agree with your sentiments about the SRC.  However, and I hate to sound as if I am defending them, in legal terms they are merely selling access to private property on which there happen to be steelhead.  In the case of this argument, from a legal standpoint, I would think it is probably more about the land than the fish, though, like I said, I hate what they are doing and the way that they represent themselves.  I guess that it's really not much different than what they used to do at the Pig Pen, except the cost is a little different. 

Also, I appreciate the explanation about lining.  I had heard that term used before, but never really understood it. 
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: What do you see/thing about this picture 2007/10/10 13:00:13 (permalink)
    rsquared

I would tend to agree that the main legal issue is access, but SRC would not be seeking the access if there were no steelhead in the streams.  I also realize what they are doing is legal under our current laws, but it does make me angry to watch a resource being hijacked by people who are supposed to be sportsmans.  I guess we will need to redifine sportsman in the future to be mean anyone with enough money to afford to fish or hunt.

Bottomline, I think it is wrong that the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania along with private not for profit clubs stock the tribs and then have a group of rich elitest come in and buy up access to the streams.  I would say that we need to have a change in the law that makes it illegal to sell access to the streams where the fish that are stocked in those streams were put there at public expense.  I don't have a problem with folks posting their land if they want to keep people off, but they should not be allowed to profit from posting it and then leasing it to private fishing clubs. 

Another idea would be if a club leases land for their members, they should be requires to provide an equal amount of stream of equal quality to be made available for public fishing.  In other words, for every mile of stream SRC sets aside for it's clients, they should be forced to provide an equal amount of stream for public fishing.

Of course, the best solution would be to stop stocking the fish.  No fish, no fisherman, no problems.  Let SRC and their clients chase the "wild" steelhead in a few years after the stocking ends...  We will see how many will pay to walk the beautiful creeks of NW PA and catch chubs and suckers....

pax vobiscum +
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    RE: What do you see/thing about this picture 2007/10/10 13:01:51 (permalink)
    Sorry guys, I guess I got off the point of the thread. Couldn't help myself. Back to the point, what Still said about wrapping, thrashing, etc.etc. happens and the fly/lure whatever changes position sometimes and thus the hook in an unusual place. I would guess you would have to be a first person witness to know for sure if that fish was lined or just ended up that way. Not to defend TU either. Just thoughts.  Dave
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    RE: What do you see/thing about this picture 2007/10/10 13:09:34 (permalink)
    Seen that done too for a picture. Thought I was gonna sh*t when those nitwits did that.    Dave
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    RE: What do you see/thing about this picture 2007/10/10 13:19:21 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: rsquared

Also, I appreciate the explanation about lining.  I had heard that term used before, but never really understood it. 

The term "lining" refers to when your line drifts into a fishes mouth, often gets caught on their teeth, the current or the fish moving away causes the line to slide the fly into the fishes mouth. Often, but not always, the hook is lodged into the side of the fishes mouth, hook penetrating from the outside inwards, like the photo. This occurs more often with certain rigs and techniques. Especially the "chuck n' duck" rig often used for salmon fishing.  Basically it lots of weight several feet or more from the hook. When casted into fast current, the heavy weight ticks along the bottom, the current forces the line and hook down so that several feet or more of line is running horizontal along the bottom of the river. Generally the fish holding in that faster current are along the bottom and it's common for the line to enter their mouths. 

It is possible to line with other techniques, but that is the rig that leads to the most lining of fish. Some also call it "flossing".

What Bug described sounded more like outright snagging, also refered to some as "lifting". Let the hook drift near the head and "lift".

Bottom line is it's all crap.
    treefrog20045
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: What do you see/thing about this picture 2007/10/10 13:27:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Bughawk

Without hijacking the thread,  elephanthead, you bring up an interesting point.  Wild steelhead?  I guess if DB did not have to stock them and allowed the rest of us poor slobs to fund the stocking,  he might think they are wild.  Also, since he does not feed these fish like the ones I have heard he feeds on "his" streams, he might also think they are wild.

If it weren't for the fact that the license buying fishing public as well as local clubs who actually pay for the fish that DB and his clients are catching, I would just laugh at the whole thing.  It makes me sick that this guy and his rich buddies are making a killing off publicly subsidized fish and all the while telling the world how much good they are doing conserving the streams of PA. 

BTW - I had a thought.  As far as I know it is illegal to sell or traffic in game fish caught in PA waters.  Why is it legal then to charge outrageous fees to fish for the fish?  At some level that could be seen as selling or trafficing in game fish.  I realize they are selling the opportunity to catch the fish and not the fish themselves, but somehow that seems like an end run around the intent of the law, which in my humble opinion and I am no lawyer, to prevent people from making a profit directly off of the game fish.  Oh well, I am sure if you have enough money, you can justify anything.

I think what DB is doing is wrong,also lining,flossing,lifting what ever you want to call it is unethical.But if what he is doing is selling and trafficing in fish.Well then they would have to outlaw all guides and charter boats!
      About lining,what if that king clamped down on the head of that fly?When you set the hook where would it go?Not sticking up for poor sportman but sometimes the fish get hooked out side the mouth.I throw spoons off of breakwalls alot.And many fish are hooked outside in.Is that to say I am lining fish in 30' of water.No,the fish attacks the spoon from the side,I set the hook and it pulls forward and hooks them on the out side.Just wanted to speak my thoughts on this.If you are throwing a size 16 sucker spawn and hook it outside lined.but the fly in the pi must be about 4" so I can see the fish hitting it up front and the hook being driven into its jaw.
    killdeer19
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 654
    RE: What do you see/thing about this picture 2007/10/10 13:35:17 (permalink)
    You mean to tell me that fish was the only one they caught that they could get a good photo of? For an organization as big as TU to put a picture of a foul hooked fish in their catalog is hypocritical to what they claim they're trying to do. Why not use the picture of the next fish they caught? In all honesty, I would rather them move the hook back into the mouth of the fish for the pic then release it instead of showing it being hooked on the outside of the mouth. At least that way they're not condoning that way of fishing to thier readers.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: What do you see/thing about this picture 2007/10/10 13:41:37 (permalink)
    It is possible to line with other techniques, but that is the rig that leads to the most lining of fish. Some also call it "flossing".

What Bug described sounded more like outright snagging, also refered to some as "lifting". Let the hook drift near the head and "lift".

Bottom line is it's all crap.

Nah!  Some of us just call that Force Feeding.

That old saying about taking a horse to water but not making him drink has it's place on the steelhead streams, too.  Sorta.
    FlashDance
    Expert Angler
    RE: What do you see/thing about this picture 2007/10/10 13:57:39 (permalink)
    Frog,

What your saying about spoons may happen, the hooks are trailing.
    Look at the fly in the picture. No way a fish that size, bites a fly that size and gets
    hooked on the outside of the mouth.

Deer,

I'm with you. If you had to take a picture of that fish, then remove the fly altogether.

I still can't believe that they published that picture. Some one had to notice, didn't they?
    I noticed. Within minutes of posting it others noticed.

It reminds me of guys whining and crying about snagging in New York and then you go there and the very guys whining are lining the fish.

As for DB, I don't know how he sleeps at night, because you know, that he knows, that 'Wild" fish don't exist on any of his properties. He's a Lieabetic. He's lied so much, too so many, that he himself doesn't even know what's real and what's a lie.

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: What do you see/thing about this picture 2007/10/10 14:15:33 (permalink)
    When they are coming right for you, you have to set the hook.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: What do you see/thing about this picture 2007/10/10 15:13:08 (permalink)
    Hooks do move after you set them.  This summer I hooked a muskie on a J-9 Rapala.  It grabbed the lure and took off, jumped once and ran for cover.  After a long fight, I finally got the fish up to where I could see it and low and behold the lure instead of being in its mouth, was in it dorsal fin.  Somehow during the jump I presume, the fish spit the lure and then landed on it.  If I had not seen it with my own eyes I would never have believed it.  Yes I do have a witness who can back me up on this story, but the point is, where the hook is at the end of the fight may not be where it was when you set it the first time.

Personally, I think this fish was lined, snagged, lifted or whatever term you want to use.

Now the question is, how many people fishing the tribs for steelies know the difference between a fish that has been correctly hooked and one that has not?  The common opinion I have heard is if the fly is in the mouth, it is a legal hook up, no matter how it got that way or which way the barb is pointing.  Also, how many have been taught or learned to line, lift, snag, etc... fish and think that is the way you are supposed to catch fish? 

BTW - lining, lifting, snagging, etc... is not easy when fishing deep pools, especially when the water is cloudy or off color.  Most of this activity happens in very shallow water.

pax vobiscum +
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: