Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Author
*steelking*
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 71
  • Reward points: 0
2008/08/16 18:38:29 (permalink)

First steelies of the year

Well I was in the area today so I figured I'd walk elk and walnut to see if there was anything going on.  There were literally a couple fish in the actual stream of walnut and I saw nothing hanging around the mouth of elk and a little ways up stream.  I ended up with my first 5 steelhead of the season today at Walnut, the majority of them coming from the southern most wall.  I was getting pretty consistent hook ups for about 25 minutes and then my cloud cover dissapeared and everything shot right back to the lake. Here's a pic of some fresh chrome if this works... and if not heres the link to the picture http://s522.photobucket.com/albums/w347/steelking05/?action=view&current=august16steelies004.jpg

176 Replies Related Threads

*steelking*
    Novice Angler
    RE: First steelies of the year 2008/08/16 18:39:38 (permalink)
    Oh well.
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: First steelies of the year 2008/08/16 19:07:12 (permalink)
    Not to say you did not see or catch fish, but why would you make it known to everyone. You most likely had the palace to yourself and now tomorrow when you have someone next to you, you're be complaining. Sunday you should have 6 people next to you and there goes your solitude.

Had to put my 2 cents worth in. You hear it here all the time about crowds and now you invited them.
    *steelking*
    Novice Angler
    RE: First steelies of the year 2008/08/16 19:14:07 (permalink)
    Dude there were two other guys fishing walnut today already, its not like walnut creek is some secret. Besides the only time i fish walnut is august and early september.
    parker31
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: First steelies of the year 2008/08/16 19:20:56 (permalink)
    ya because walnut creek is some kind of a secret place  in 1 month there will be 25 million guys there and not bc steelking caught a couple today dude
    smallhook
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 964
    RE: First steelies of the year 2008/08/16 20:26:40 (permalink)
    thanks, with the unseasonably cold week we had I figured there would be a few eager steelhead lurking around the mouths.
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: First steelies of the year 2008/08/16 20:26:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: saltflyfisher

Not to say you did not see or catch fish, but why would you make it known to everyone. You most likely had the palace to yourself and now tomorrow when you have someone next to you, you're be complaining. Sunday you should have 6 people next to you and there goes your solitude.

Had to put my 2 cents worth in. You hear it here all the time about crowds and now you invited them.

No offense steel, but salt I have to agree with you....why put that on the Internet??? Its one thing to go to the local bait shop and brag, but why brag to thousands...those fish wont have a chance tomorrow. They'll be snagged up and in the smoker before they have a chance to hit the stop sign hole.

I live six hours away and I still try to be tight lipped...advise and info about where the fish are(IMO) is best shared stream side. I like to use this site for talk about equipment, technique, and horsing around, people should learn how to find fish on there own, it makes the experience waaaaay better. Nothing like doing some looking around and finding a nice pod of fish that no one has fished over for a little while..... Just my opinion

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: First steelies of the year 2008/08/16 20:59:56 (permalink)
    Sorry guys,

I think its cool he put it on the net.  The fish in the pic has some color.  It has been hangin close for a while.  What's wrong with sharing info.  Isn't this what the site is for???????

Come on. 

Thanks for the update SteelKing
    mgolf92
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 378
    RE: First steelies of the year 2008/08/16 21:01:39 (permalink)
    Awesome, but does that look like a steelhead?  To me it looks like some kinda salmon...but I wouldn't really know...
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: First steelies of the year 2008/08/16 21:43:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Storm Warning 2

Sorry guys,

I think its cool he put it on the net.  The fish in the pic has some color.  It has been hangin close for a while.  What's wrong with sharing info.  Isn't this what the site is for???????

Come on. 

Don't get me wrong...I'm not trying to be a Di(k but I would enjoy some early explorers while i could without inviting thousands to fall on the mouth of a creek like sharks to chum....

Seriously I'd be curious to see what that spot looks like tomorrow...can a local take a look and post a head count on here???

I'm sure people aren't gonna drive for a couple of hours for a few fish, but I wonder how many will be there..

As I said befor just my opinion...... PEACE!!

BTW nice picture steel...gotta love a fresh cromer!!!
    post edited by tippy-toe - 2008/08/16 21:45:38

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    mgolf92
    Expert Angler
    RE: First steelies of the year 2008/08/16 21:56:26 (permalink)
    Awesome, you know this is what we've been dreaming of...  This is *steelking*'s fish.

swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: First steelies of the year 2008/08/16 22:12:08 (permalink)
    Well I have been looking for the post that will bring me back and I think I have found it. Before even looking at the picture I already knew what it looked like. Some young kid who wants his pic on the front page of the paper. Do you want people to think that you are some sort of steelhead God? Do you want to be the one who kicks off the season? Or are you just doing the right thing and let everybody know that steel season has begun? I dont know the reason you did it but I do know what you did. What you did was ruin the piece and quiet for the ones who have already been catching fish at the mouths and in the creeks. I am sure the people that were down there werent saying "Boy I really wish I had some A-Hole in camo come stand in my back pocket and fish." You are young and have alot to learn. I am not going to get into the mortality rate of these fish caught so early in the season. Like they were going to get put back anyway, so whats the difference. I hope all had a nice summer. Its good to be back PA. Shut Up and Fish, you are the man! Anadromous, you dont nead a **** to cross the border come on over dont be afraid. BTWG its going to be a long season dont flame out. There is one more guy I would like to say whats up to. You know who you are.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    SPIKER
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 165
    RE: First steelies of the year 2008/08/16 22:21:11 (permalink)
    Ill be there in there in the morning,anyone else want to meet up?
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    RE: First steelies of the year 2008/08/16 22:25:11 (permalink)
    You guys have another 7 months of 10x more prime steelie fishing than mid to late August.  Relax.

Good numbers rarely show till mid to late September thru November

Look at the color already on that fish.  It has been hanging around for a while.  Do they stock regular rainbows in Walnut for the trout opener????

Maybe this is just a rainbow (not a steelie strain) that is hangin' around the mouth of the waters it was released into.  Steelies are still in prime chrome right now.

mgolf92
    Expert Angler
    RE: First steelies of the year 2008/08/16 22:30:24 (permalink)
    Do you want people to think that you are some sort of steelhead God?

Nope, he wants them to think he's a *steelking* ...not god. 

Anyway, does that look like some kinda salmon to anyone else?
    jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2089
    RE: First steelies of the year 2008/08/16 22:30:46 (permalink)

Sorry guys,

Come on. 

We had a thred on this topic. You could have said I caught a fish at (add river here). If someone asked just pm them the spot. Id rather fish with the members of this board than everyone else.
    jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    RE: First steelies of the year 2008/08/16 22:35:10 (permalink)

You guys have another 7 months of 10x more prime steelie fishing than mid to late August.  Relax.

Good numbers rarely show till mid to late September thru November

Look at the color already on that fish.  It has been hanging around for a while.  Do they stock regular rainbows in Walnut for the trout opener????

Maybe this is just a rainbow (not a steelie strain) that is hangin' around the mouth of the waters it was released into.  Steelies are still in prime chrome right now.

True. Very well might me a rainbow, no need to waste your time fishing there. There are much better spots on lskdjfoij dsaodjfa river.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: First steelies of the year 2008/08/16 22:50:31 (permalink)
    Geez,

Go sit on the throne, and relax your rectums a bit. Neither thousands, hundreds, or even dozens of people are going to flock to the streams over a handful of fish, that may, (but probabley won't) be there tomorrow, or the next day. EVERYBODY knows that a few fish will venture into the streams this time of year. They ALSO know that iit is ****ed few, and hardly a sure thing, one day to the next. The "hordes" your SO worried about aren't gonna show till they get reports of hundreds of fish in the stop sign, and Manchester holes. AND what they're hitting on ( as though it might e something different this year ).

By the way. The parking lot at Walnut WILL be full on sunday ( imagine that ) still plenty of Walleye, and Perch fishing to be done. A few MIGHT toss a lne in the creek, but not very many, or for very long.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: First steelies of the year 2008/08/16 22:52:06 (permalink)
    I think there are more A holes on this site then you run into on the streams. Nice fish steelking  congrats on your first of the year I hope to get mine very soon as well. You didnt ruin a **** things for anyone, only got more people excited wall of nuts is always packed with or with out this pic.

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
    -Steve Rinella
    flirod4evr
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 208
    RE: First steelies of the year 2008/08/16 23:20:09 (permalink)
    I fished the manchester hole yesterday and landed 16 with 31 hookups. All on size 18 green s.s., Wait a minute I just woke up. Looks like I was dreaming! Sorry Guys! Come sleep with me and you might catch some too, not as many though.

I'm very familiar with the terms "RUN AND GUN" and "FISH ON!"

"They're in here I can smell 'em"
    pensfan1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3427
    RE: First steelies of the year 2008/08/16 23:25:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: flirod4evr

I fished the manchester hole yesterday and landed 16 with 31 hookups. All on size 18 green s.s., Wait a minute I just woke up. Looks like I was dreaming! Sorry Guys! Come sleep with me and you might catch some too, not as many though.

Behave!
    CATMAN610
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 443
    RE: First steelies of the year 2008/08/16 23:46:06 (permalink)
    wow,,this kills me, just like with the tiny bucketfish they put in the streams and lakes in the spring guys go crazy.  someone puts pictures online of some nice fish he caught and you have to have the a**holes bicker about telling where he caught them. I guess those guys are worried that the ten million of those glorified pelletheads will all get caught before they get thier lazy asses up there to fish.

I love it,,keep the pics and spots comming because you won't see me there, I don't steelhead fish anyhow.
    jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    RE: First steelies of the year 2008/08/16 23:51:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

Geez,

Go sit on the throne, and relax your rectums a bit. Neither thousands, hundreds, or even dozens of people are going to flock to the streams over a handful of fish, that may, (but probabley won't) be there tomorrow, or the next day. EVERYBODY knows that a few fish will venture into the streams this time of year. They ALSO know that iit is ****ed few, and hardly a sure thing, one day to the next. The "hordes" your SO worried about aren't gonna show till they get reports of hundreds of fish in the stop sign, and Manchester holes. AND what they're hitting on ( as though it might e something different this year ).

By the way. The parking lot at Walnut WILL be full on sunday ( imagine that ) still plenty of Walleye, and Perch fishing to be done. A few MIGHT toss a lne in the creek, but not very many, or for very long.

No kidding. Just dont want to see this a habbit in a few months. I guess it would have been better to say, dont do that in a couple of months. I have to go , my rectum hurts.
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    RE: First steelies of the year 2008/08/16 23:58:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jonnyfishon

ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

Geez,

No kidding. Just dont want to see this a habbit in a few months. I guess it would have been better to say, dont do that in a couple of months. I have to go , my rectum hurts.

Precisely why I tried to nip it in the bud...

Let's help each other, not harass each other.  There are a TON of fish in that lake for EVERYONE to enjoy.

*steelking*
    Novice Angler
    RE: First steelies of the year 2008/08/17 00:07:35 (permalink)
    haha i saw this coming from a mile away, thanks to those who did appreciate the effort i put in to catch these early fish.  And to those who were upset by this... get off your****and go fishing and maybe you wont be so ****ed off all the time.
    -Mike
    jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    RE: First steelies of the year 2008/08/17 00:13:38 (permalink)
    SmAll DuDe.
    chasinrainbows
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 189
    RE: First steelies of the year 2008/08/17 00:25:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: *steelking*

haha i saw this coming from a mile away, thanks to those who did appreciate the effort i put in to catch these early fish.  And to those who were upset by this... get off your****and go fishing and maybe you wont be so ****ed off all the time.
    -Mike
    no secret dude nice fish been getting them for the past 2 weeks
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: First steelies of the year 2008/08/17 00:25:41 (permalink)
    Only one problem steelking, what's with the waders in mid August?  Oh, and nice fish!

<---  The Holy Trinity
    oncorhynchus
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: First steelies of the year 2008/08/17 01:00:17 (permalink)
    Nice fish steelking, and thanks for sharing the first steelhead report of the new season it’s something to write about, can’t believe all the negative comments as if that’s revealing a well-kept secret.

better to be silent & thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."
    fishrmn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 675
    RE: First steelies of the year 2008/08/17 01:45:55 (permalink)
    Early steel can be there one day and gone tomorrow, relax.  Those few people that may fish tomorrow because of steelkings post will more than likely go home discouraged.  Esp if they expect to find more than a handful of fish.

steel,

Congrads, I'll be right behind you shortly.

-Tim
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
    Jump to: