Proposed Spoon Ban

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
KJH807
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4863
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Proposed Spoon Ban 2007/10/12 22:49:58 (permalink)
Andro- good to see you back

TT- i'm not talking about banning spoons... just trebles
T.T.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1656
RE: Proposed Spoon Ban 2007/10/12 23:28:37 (permalink)
The title of this thread does, and it is bad mojo.  You're not the only one on the thread.  I hear what you are saying, but I think it's overkill.  A bad precedent, if you will.  We do need to police our own ranks, and if that means getting in somebody else's business, then it needs to be done.  No, I'm not talking about confrontations like Kyler16 boasts about "almost sorta shoulda coulda wanted to", but rather about informing.  If the person insists on continually snagging fish, then that's when the WCO needs to be brought in.  If you successfully teach someone of their errant ways, then we all win, thus no need for over-regulating. 

It can be done.  I've done it.  You just can't approach mis-guided people and start threatening and accusing.  A gentle nudge is all it has taken me on a few occassions.  I've since seen these people on the tribs not only practicing ethical techniques, but doing **** well with them.  They are better fishermen for it, and we are better as a group having them.  Not all can be reached that way, I understand.  I think it's worth the effort.  
KJH807
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4863
RE: Proposed Spoon Ban 2007/10/13 00:35:22 (permalink)
i agree with everything above
as i stated in my first post... i'm don't aggree with a FFO section in Erie... its everyone's water
but i wouldn't fight a treble ban in the creeks

these are not rivers, they are for the most part void of native sport fish
these are not hardy wild fish running, they are all stocked and CR has no impact on the future of this fishery

but snagging and the mentality that goes with it has no place (and i feel trebles are an eay snagging tool)
it has been said before... it is crazy what people will do when the see 50 5lb+ fish sitting in a hole te size of an SUV

would you still fish spoons with a single hook?
maybe this thread should be "single hook regulations"
1hook 1fly

there are fly rigs that are just as guilty as trebles... czech nymphing... raking... or a 00 steelhead candy in pink (which has no place in erie)
post edited by KJH807 - 2007/10/13 00:36:34
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: Proposed Spoon Ban 2007/10/13 16:18:08 (permalink)
You can not eliminate snagging through equipment regulations, ( unless you outlaw hooks altogether ). If a person's intent is to snag, they can fairly easily do so, with ANY hook ( single, or treble ), tied to ANY line, strung on ANY rod, or reel. TOO many, big fish, in TOO small of streams, makes it TOO easy. Self policing, co-operation with law enforcement, and education, are the ONLY answer.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
mossy oak
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 883
RE: Proposed Spoon Ban 2007/10/13 16:33:13 (permalink)
Spoon,

Saw the title of this thread and wondered just WHAT THE HELL you did now??  LOL. 

Ok, boys...back to your debate.......

MO

so save your breath I could not hear, I think I made it very clear...

AnimalCannibal1
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 34
RE: Proposed Spoon Ban 2007/10/15 06:57:30 (permalink)
regs wont help, most of us could SNAG fish with a paper clip and piece of yarn. We CHOOSE not to. By the way, I fish tiny cleos in the creeks and do pretty well. I do FOUL HOOK some accidental fish, as i would with ANY casting lure (spoon, spinner, fly or paperclip. I choose not to, and release all fish, foul hooked or not. It's a question of ethics. Enforcable ethics.
steverino111
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Proposed Spoon Ban 2007/10/16 17:27:26 (permalink)
MY FAVORITE TOPIC: I have mentioned it before and I am going to mention it now. I quit the SALMON RIVER just because of the law allowing the outlandish use of monstrous treble hooks. They outlawed the heavy three sided pyramid only to grant the use of a six (6) inch hook loaded plug. If I had my way about it, I would outlaw any plug, spinner, or rooster tails that are equipped with a three prong hook. I dont know how many of you fishermen are aware that a SALMON hook, (twin hooks) are illegal . I will concede that most of the hooks what I have mentioned would be acceptable for use providing they are made to adhere to 'catch and release' type of hooks. These single hooks must not be larger than a size 4 or 6 . The barb can be left on if the State ok`s it. As some fishermen stated that they saw more fish foul hooked by fly fishing than any other method of fishing is a stretch of their imagination. Only in steelhead fishing do we use a hook bigger than a size 14 . Spincasting and Noodle rods generally use larger hooks , the trouble with some of the men, they use these rods and larger hooks for snagging. Well, we can`t get rid of the pedophiles so how can we expect to get rid of the snaggers. Tight lines to all the true fishermen.
fishmonger
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 435
RE: Proposed Spoon Ban 2007/10/16 17:59:12 (permalink)
I fish flies exclusively, and I hate foul hooking fish. Most of my hooks are size 14 and smaller. It is still very possible to foul hook with these. I foul hooked 3 in a row at Sterratania last season with size 16 hare's ears. Needless to say, a foul hooked steelhead with a small fly usually spells goodbye fly. I have seen lots of steelheads legally caught with SMALL spoons and spinners. A good lure fisherman will not foul hook any more fish than a good fly fisherman. If the fish are stacked up, and you can't see them, it is inevitable that some fish will be fouled. 
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: