Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Dream Catcher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1567
  • Reward points: 0
2007/10/11 15:56:14 (permalink)

Proposed Spoon Ban

A buddy & I were fishing above route 5 on Elk last Saturday when a troop of 7 spoon wheeling folks decided it was tail hookin time. We managed one legal hook on a nymph in an hour due to the clear conditions but ; after the snag frenzy the fish would'nt even look. What is the procedure for reporting this stuff? I wish folks were more honest . How would you folks handle this without wrestlin? Do you think spoons should be banned above route 5 ? Reason being below route 5 is watched pretty good ( good access) . I've personally never seen a steelhead legally hooked with a spoon in the smaller holes ( less than 3ft deep) .

37 Replies Related Threads

Sculpin 14
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 429
    RE: Proposed Spoon Ban 2007/10/11 16:02:40 (permalink)
    I agree total, except with the statement "above Route 5", I don't think that you should be tossing around a spoon unless your in the lake. But be realistic, they'll never pass a regulation baning spoons cause theres always gonna be those guys who say thats all they use and it works. Hell I think all treble hooks should be band in the creeks.
    flirod4evr
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 208
    RE: Proposed Spoon Ban 2007/10/11 16:08:55 (permalink)
    I'm right there with you. I think that the only place you should be able to use spoons is on the lake, NO SPOON FISHING IN THE CREEKS!!!!!!!! If you cant catcha fish without snagging it then steelhead fishing isnt for you. All they do is ruin fishing for us honest folks. I have never ever seen a steel caught on a spoon in the creeks. Its either ban spoons or ban treble hooks, both are good and practical solutions. That really makes me mad when I see that(except on carp snag all you want they're useless). I'm just glad that the good outweigh the bad.
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: Proposed Spoon Ban 2007/10/11 16:12:40 (permalink)
    Ive seen some caught on spoons, but your smaller spoons. Banning spoons isnt going to stop snagging you still have roosters tails, rapalas, and heck jumbo jigs with size 0 hook. 

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
    -Steve Rinella
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: Proposed Spoon Ban 2007/10/11 16:14:18 (permalink)
    I disagree completely.  If you want to make it "single free swinging hooks only" then fine.  Those creeks are there for everyone and to think that everyone is snagging is a ridiculous mentality.  That would be the same as saying that all fly anglers are lining every fish. 
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Proposed Spoon Ban 2007/10/11 16:21:41 (permalink)
    IF and it is a big IF you use a small spoon in a deep hole in the creek correctly, you won't snag any more fish than any other means of fishing, and spoons can produce well.  The sad thing in is most people who fish them either are intentionally snagging fish or are clueless as to how to use them in the stream.  I walked up on some guys not too long ago on Walnut fishing in the chutes with spoons.  I did not see what they were doing, but I thought it rather odd to be using spoons in the chutes.  I could see maybe a small rooster tail or Panter Martin or maybe a Mepps, but spoons seemed rather odd to me.  

With the increase in popularity of steelhead fishing and more guys coming up that are clueless as to the techniques used to catch steelies you will see some pretty crazy things. 

Maybe there could be a limit on the size of the spoons used.  Little ones, the tiny Cleos and Pheboes would be fine, but the big spoons are really over kill in the least and a recipe for snagging in the worst.

pax vobiscum +
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Proposed Spoon Ban 2007/10/11 16:27:07 (permalink)
    The single hook is not a bad idea.  Remove the treble hook and replace it with a single hook.  That should cut down on the snagging.

One thing to keep in mind.  In the small sections and runs on the tribs, spoons would be very difficult to use correctly.  For a spoon to work, you need some significant water.  I would tend to think that fishing a spoon in shallow water just would not work properly and would hang up a lot on the bottom.

pax vobiscum +
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Proposed Spoon Ban 2007/10/11 16:27:26 (permalink)
    Bug,  I can assure you that in the right hands with the right conditions and the right water... (I know a lot of ifs), small Scorpions can be absolutely deadly.  To that point (and I would rather flyfish than any other method), I will fish spoons, along with jigs, spinners, plastics, bait, jerk baits... and have witnessed entire schools of fish in a creek turn simultaneously to track a spoon until one lunges out and grabs it. Under the right conditions, this can happen time and time again non stop in one hole. 
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: Proposed Spoon Ban 2007/10/11 16:28:21 (permalink)
    Call WCO. I was on 7 mile last year when the WCO got 2 guys using spoons in that liittle creek.  They were obviously snagging, and I told them so. On the way out, they got stopped, got some heavy fines,
    lost their gear, and the soup kitchen got some steelhead, thanks to Poor Richard's East.  I don't think spoons or trebles should be allowed in any
    of the creeks, except perhaps Walnut, up to the end of the wall.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Proposed Spoon Ban 2007/10/11 16:38:17 (permalink)
    i think trebbles are a HUGE problem...
    a lot of western water have endless amounts of regs... why not erie
    I'm not looking for Fly-fishing only... that ie unrealistic

we are not protecting a native/wild/spawning fishery
    BUT
    we are protecting an industry... access...
    I will make an assumtion a say that snaggers are the same people leavin trash behind... fits the M.O.
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Proposed Spoon Ban 2007/10/11 16:38:36 (permalink)
    "EDUCATION"   It's not the spoons that foul the fish, it's the people that use them in a manner not intended - of course using spoons increases your foul ball chances period. For everything there's a time and a place. Spoons are not the culprit. That being said I rarely use spoons even at the lake shore (except on the boat). My arm gets tired and they are expensive to lose. Once in awhile when I get bored I'll tie on a cleo and give it a few tosses when I remember to pack them but as I said it's rare.    Dave
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Proposed Spoon Ban 2007/10/11 16:48:14 (permalink)
    In 4 years of fishing the tribs (about 5 trips/year), I've seen waaaay more fish foul hooked by flies than spoons.  However, most of the fly guys I've seen will break off the fish whereas the spoon snaggers rope em.  Was on 7 mile that day Pete was talking about, fishing right next to those guys.  Saw them hooking up on every cast, and thought I'd chuck a spoon in there too.  After I foul hooked one, I quit, cause I realized what was happening. Couldn't see the fish that day, but I figured they were pretty stacked up in there.  Glad he had a WCO phone number.  I did not then, but do now. 

Seems like most foul hooks on flies are pretty unintentional.  Like elephanthead said, spoons are too expensive to lose.

But if you're trying to stop all snagging - whether intentional or accidental, that would be pretty tough.  Maybe some regs on certain streams or certain portions or streams would be appropriate and enforceable.  Probably just too much money involved for the Fish Commisison to take it seriously.
    Sculpin 14
    Expert Angler
    RE: Proposed Spoon Ban 2007/10/11 16:49:57 (permalink)
    I don't see why snagger use spoons. I would thing it would be harder to snag with a spoon due to the way it woobles and does not keep a direct line with your rod.

Just a thought.
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Proposed Spoon Ban 2007/10/11 17:03:08 (permalink)
    weight + 3 hooks = snagalicious !     Dave
    flatfifth
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Proposed Spoon Ban 2007/10/11 17:11:26 (permalink)
    I agree with elephanthead, its not the spoons but the spoonbills chucking them.  Take away their spoons, and they will rip spinners, jigs, or what ever they can find through the hole.  It's the person on the fat end of the rod, if they are snaggin, they will do so no matter what terminal rig they have to come up with.  Education, and heavy enforcement is the best answer.  Some people your never going to change, what's sad is they are teaching this to their kids.  These people have no respect for the fish, the stream, the enviorment, or others.  I have lived places where poachers (and thats what these people are,) are banned for years from purchasing a license.  Get caught again and your banned for life.  Of course heavy fines go with each offence. 

There is a difference between an occasional foul hooked fish and intentional snagging.  If the snagger can be observed and documented, the fine them till they stop. 

carpin05
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 830
    RE: Proposed Spoon Ban 2007/10/11 19:26:17 (permalink)
    YOU THINK..YOU THINK..
    I THINK you bunch of pompous****tight liped fly flingin jerks dont know $HIT!!!
    some one can snag with anything..just like you snag with a fly from time to time...
    Give a new guy a little info and you wont have to cry on here...
    If you tell a guy about snaging and he get ****ed because he is doing it intentionally than call the man or tell him to get the hell off the creek or go for a swim!!!
    Take actionnot the SPOONS...I THINK!!!!
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Proposed Spoon Ban 2007/10/11 19:28:46 (permalink)
    the is a difference between foul hooking a snagging...

don't tell me a 3oz spoon with a trebble hook is not snagging
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: Proposed Spoon Ban 2007/10/11 20:07:03 (permalink)
    It's not.  I've CAUGHT plenty of steel with large and small spoons.  I've even had banner days in Manchester while the fly boys and paste chuckers sat long-faced staring at bored fish.  Sure, there are occassional fouls, but nothing went on a stringer that didn't have a hook in it's mouth.  Those fish, especially north of rt. 5 are fairly fresh from the trenches, where just a short time ago, they were being caught on, oh, no, large spoons.  There really is no need for large spoons in the tribs, but in the larger pools, they can be effective when nothing else is.  I certainly have seen the ultra lite guys throw tiny spoons with deadly results.  Legally.  Ethically. 

Call the WCO if you see INTENTIONAL snagging.  If it's unintentional but repeated, offer up some advice.  You may just help a fellow out.

Spoons don't snag fish, fools snag fish. = Guns don't kill duuds, duuds kill duuds.

Take the spoons away and take the guns away is the mentality of this thread.  Wrong, guys.  Way wrong.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Proposed Spoon Ban 2007/10/12 07:18:22 (permalink)
    I like to fish small spoons on an ultralite. So that makes me a snagger..Bite me. I have some little spoons that work quite well.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

carpin05
    Expert Angler
    RE: Proposed Spoon Ban 2007/10/12 07:34:19 (permalink)
    TT you made my point with a lot less aggression,Sorry but these guys **** me off some times when they get stuck on stupid,I have caught fish with flys in them, Do you see me calling for a ban on flys???
    I can watch a guy fish and can tell off the bat if he knows what he is doing, And if you THINK you know so much so can you!!!!
    Call the man or lend a hand!!!!
    GOOD FISHIN.. BRING ON THE RAIN..
    carpin05
    Expert Angler
    RE: Proposed Spoon Ban 2007/10/12 07:48:38 (permalink)
    I use papper weight daredevils with very good success..
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: Proposed Spoon Ban 2007/10/12 07:59:03 (permalink)
    Easy fellas . Just wanted some suggestions . Not saying people who use spoons are snaggers . The one fella is right uneducated ; unethical people snag fish no disrespect to your method . I was appauled when 6 grown men were showing thier youngest "the trade" that day. As for the fly comment ; not eveyone fishes flies on fly rods . I use a noodle rod & float ; not a strike indicator .LOL 
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Proposed Spoon Ban 2007/10/12 08:50:02 (permalink)
    Sorry, I hate to be put in with the worthless snaggers. I do understand the lure of choice for snagging would be a spoon. Tough to get a # 4 treble on a nymph imitation. Most of my spoons are under 1/4oz and about half have the trebles removed and replaced with singles. I see no need to snag if you know what you are doing and run your lure(any lure) by their face enough times they will usually hit it. I think sometimes they hit just to kill it and get it out of their face.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Proposed Spoon Ban 2007/10/12 09:01:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Dream Catcher

Easy fellas . Just wanted some suggestions . Not saying people who use spoons are snaggers . The one fella is right uneducated ; unethical people snag fish no disrespect to your method . I was appauled when 6 grown men were showing thier youngest "the trade" that day. As for the fly comment ; not eveyone fishes flies on fly rods . I use a noodle rod & float ; not a strike indicator .LOL 

The minute you start suggesting banning a legal, legitimate activity based on the actions of a few you will get the backlash that this thread received.  That said, you will also get those that support these bans that represent special self interest groups (not a whole lot different than the Donny Beaver group).  Understand that just because YOU have not witnessed something (fish in less than 3 feet of water hitting spoons) does not mean that it doesn't happen and certainly should not be any sort of deciding factor in whether a technique should be outlawed.
    post edited by griffon - 2007/10/12 09:02:30
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: Proposed Spoon Ban 2007/10/12 09:45:59 (permalink)
    I was all excited for a minute. From the main page I thought it was about banning Spoonchucker! 
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: Proposed Spoon Ban 2007/10/12 10:02:24 (permalink)
    Katty
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: Proposed Spoon Ban 2007/10/12 11:04:52 (permalink)
    late summer when the steelhead are just entering the streams you will see them chasing minnows along the top of the water. they look like little torpedo's. try putting on a spoon you will have a ball catching fish. Just like everything else they have a place in your tackle box
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: Proposed Spoon Ban 2007/10/12 16:18:15 (permalink)
    Wow, you running short on your meds?

I not only told those guys they were snagging, I offered them eggsacks
    and single eggs. Sure I foul hook fish, but I either pull the fly out or break
    it off. I don't land the fish and put it on a stringer.  The WCO must have agreed with me about their techniques.
    Sculpin 14
    Expert Angler
    RE: Proposed Spoon Ban 2007/10/12 16:40:23 (permalink)
    Yeah after think about this a little more and reading some replies, you cant band anything, there is probably just as many people if not more snagging with flyrods, its just easier to pick out the guys with spoons than it is with the guys with fly rods.

Hey its friday have a beer!

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Proposed Spoon Ban 2007/10/12 16:56:31 (permalink)
    FiveMilePete -

I was definitely not referring to you as a snagger.  I was trying to say that in general, I see fly fishermen foul hook more fish than guys using spoons, though I realize that the great majority are accidental.  Sorry for the confusion.  You were certainly not part of the problem that day by any means. 
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: