2023/07/13 19:04:12
crappiefisher
  Justin,

They are my son's piles of crap he got delivered in mid May and hasn't touched them 
 Thank goodness I was up there that day. The farmer down the road was going to deliver 6 loads. I had to argue with him a little and say "well it is not Matt's property" He was telling me "'well look at all the produce you will have". Pretty cool long flatbed that had a large blade that would raise up and move back then lower and slide the crap off then move back another 6'-8' and slide then repeat again and again. Their mother lets them get away with using us. Although my Durango is loaded with lures now from his trip this morning.

Tim made two trips to Staten Island 2 weeks ago to buy out a sporting goods store. One more box trailer in my driveway now. Said he has another delivery truck of tackle on the way next week. Do your guys kids give yinzes headaches? The 2 storage units in the photo are Tim's not mine   You guys have to be tired of me complaining for years now. 

Wouldn't mind going for slabs this fall sometime with you.

2023/07/13 19:58:52
pensfan1
No our girls don't cause us any headaches or grief šŸ™„ ( he said in the most sarcastic way he could)šŸ˜„.
2023/07/13 22:50:32
bigfoot
Now that my kids are older, in mid to late 50s and oldest soon to be 62, I suppose I cause them more grief than they do me. But back in their younger days things were a little different. Not with the daughter so much, but those boys sure got my hackles up now and again.
2023/07/14 19:19:44
pensfan1
We went West of Walnut today. Started turnin gear at 1030. Was pretty steady most of the time. It did take us that last hour or so to get those final 2. We finished up around 3ish. Mostly 44 FOW. 3 setting #1 95 back with harnesses. We did box 5 flatlinning plugs. Good healthy fish today. Throw in aLotta shorts n junkers, and we had a busy day. Weather and waves were about a good as it gets.
2023/07/15 11:30:19
fisherofmen376
Anyone on the upper Allegheny fishin?  Hoping to take some kids monday IF the weather holds up!
2023/07/16 08:29:51
CTKsnowman
fisherofmen376
Anyone on the upper Allegheny fishin?  Hoping to take some kids monday IF the weather holds up!

My buddy fished pool 4 on Saturday, said he got two keeper walleye early in the morning jigging near the lock entrance. 

2023/07/16 12:39:36
Porktown
crappiefisher
Ā Pork,
Are you going to have a chance to fish for Peacock Bass? How are the bikini babes treating you down there?

No chance on peacock bass. No fresh water on our resort and too chicken to leave, besides about 100 yard walk along the coast area.

The resort was much more bikini babe friendly than fishing friendly. There was a large group of 18 year old girls from Spain on a graduation trip. 99% of them in thongs/semi thongs from breakfast til dinner time. Well over half of the other ladies wearing the same. So many that it made it a little easier to not be creepy staringā€¦

The resort was not fishing friendly at all. They allowed fishing at a rocky shoreline area that was snag city. Same with the walk that I took off of the property. I ended up fishing three mornings for maybe an hour or two each time. I caught fish every time, but all small. But all fish that I have never caught. Got a few blue striped grunts, a bar Jack and an orange spotted grouper. I had a few nice hits and a surface strike on a popper. Right after that, something about 4ā€™ long shot into the knee deep water that I was wading and crushed a baitfish or something about 20ā€™ from me. Guessing barracuda. I failed in my attempt to catch one, but didnā€™t really try hard. Didnā€™t even tie on the $15 cuda lure that I bought. Maybe hit some FL water at some point to use it.

The resort was mostly catered to snorkeling. At least for outdoors. Mostly catered to the dining, drinking, swimming pools and sunbathing crowd. The beaches that were off limits to fishing were completely loaded with fish. There were 7-8 coral reefs that held a ton of Caribbean reef species. I did a ton of snorkeling. Saw some really cool fish. Trunkfish, sea turtles, sting rays, barracuda, snappers, and many other. About half of this list. I was there 18 years ago (different resort), this one was much better for snorkeling. We were going to do a snorkeling excursion to Puerto Morales, which I did 18 years ago. That is ā€œworld classā€ snorkeling there, but not much better than we had access to. That was a 20 mile or so van ride and they require you to wear a life vest, which doesnā€™t allow you to dive down and get right with the fish or grab conches. So we gave up $250 in excursion credits that we had. Oh well. Kind of kicking myself, since it would have paid for a half day deep sea fishing trip for me. It is only about 2-3 miles off shore that they get into marlin, sailfish, tuna, etc. The marina was two miles away too. My son wasnā€™t into it, so I didnā€™t want to leave them all for the day. The wife gave me the green light, but figured that Iā€™d just chalk this up as a vacation without much fishing.

https://www.rivieramayasn...ral-reef-fish-species/

Most of the shore has a sand flat beach sections before the reefs. Not sure if the flat areas were natural or not or if they shipped in and covered some of the rock reefs with sand? Kind of felt manmade to me. Regardless, those were loaded with steelhead sized bonefish and permit (not really big ones). The bonefish would come relatively close when snorkeling the shallows. The permit would eat out of your handsā€¦. It was big down there to feed the turtles bananas. Which I guess had 1/4 of the fish hungry for bananas. To lure the turtles in you break off small pieces of banana. Which usually brought the ballyhoo in first. Than the permit and Bermuda chubs. Once you had a feeding frenzy it would draw in the turtles and barracuda. It was pretty cool seeing all of those fish and would allow you to swim right with them. Hard to touch them, usually would dart away.

The snorkeling was great. My son really enjoyed that part, not much of an angler, so was great to enjoy that outdoor activity with him. The food was really good, but I am not the type to go out to eat for every meal. That got old to me rather quickly. Not tipsy, but starting to drink at lunch just about every day, I need a good detox week or two. Every one of my family got the Mexican runs at some point too. My daughter was out of it for 2 days. It was complete torture on the way home since everyone had some sort of left over stomach issues and ended up being 11 hours from our room to our driveway. Pretty much the same as NC/SC drive. Iā€™d rather be driving than sitting in and uncomfortable plane seat and sore neck from trying to sleep, wake up 10 minutes later and repeat for 3.5 hours. The room was really nice, but no privacy from the kids, which gets old on weekend trips. We did the premier level, ocean front room with jacuzzi (that was used to dry bathing suits). It would have been perfect for a couple, but not for a family. The kids also need that down time on vacation, so having basically a hotel room for that kind of stinks. Add in the stomach issues and overall doubt that I would do it again. I am much more of a vacation house type person. Condos are doable as well, but much more prefer the ocean front house with pool type thing. Fish whenever I want. Go out to dinner a few times. But we have an extended family that we go with and I have to concede to them at times. Hopefully next year, back to a more fishing friendly place. That I will likely catch the same amount of small fishā€¦.
2023/07/17 09:38:53
MyWar
Didnā€™t really get into anything noteworthy in Colorado except that one day on the gunnison. Even hired a fly fishing guide out of Longmont and it was kind of an underwhelming experience. I came to the conclusion that fly fishing might not be my thing.

I got back into Pgh Saturday and decided to get some fishing in on Sunday since it was the last day of vacation. So I took the kayak up to an area on the Allegheny that Iā€™ve been hitting with some regularity. Ended up getting into a whole mess of smallmouth including a 20ā€ā€™and then like two casts later a 22ā€. The 22 weighed 4.7 lbs. Got both of them within a half hour of getting on the water too. I actually thought about just packing it up and going home after those two fish because there was no way I was gonna top that.

I got the jumbos on a ned rig with those big TRDs that are like 4ā€ long.
2023/07/17 11:06:32
Porktown
Nice consolation prizes! 

Sounds like a good trip regardless.  I'm sure if you put in the time in CO that you have put in locally, you would be crushing them there.  Those minor details and adjustments from knowing a water are hard to figure out in a limited time.  Unless you get lucky and they are just on fire where you are going, it is hard to really have a banner day in a few days trying.  But is fun trying to figure out those puzzles in that short of time.  Gives you something to daydream about at work if nothing else!    
2023/07/17 11:40:47
MyWar
Porktown
Nice consolation prizes!Ā 
Ā 
Sounds like a good trip regardless.Ā  I'm sure if you put in the time in CO that you have put in locally, you would be crushing them there.Ā  Those minor details and adjustments from knowing a water are hard to figure out in a limited time.Ā 

Oh definitely. The folks I was with didnā€™t really understand that you have to get on the water before noon and fishing takes more than 5 minutes.

In retrospect I probably should have taken a couple mornings to just go out by myself and hit the water for awhile.

It was some beautiful scenery, but goddam the parks and everything closer to Boulder and Denver were crowded asf.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account