2023/06/23 08:22:59
EMitch
Did you ever watch "The Hunt for Monster Bass" with pro angler Ott DeFoe? His shallow boat is a 1740 Tracker Jon boat, (He's sponsored by Bass Pro), single console, equipped with a 65 horse Mercury jet outboard. He's had it modified with a hydraulic jack plate on the transom where he can raise it up and still keep the pump working. There was one series where he fished the Upper Mississippi in Minnesota for monster smallmouths, and aerial camera shots, (either from drone or chopper) showed him blasting up the river and you could easily see the bottom as he was mostly in 12" to 18" of water and he wasn't the least bit concerned. (Of course, if he takes out a lower end, I'm reasonably certain he can afford a new drive unit).
Last year, I talked to a guy down at the Freeport launch who has two boats, one of which is a jet. He said he's been up the Kiski river and caught some huge walleyes up past Leechburg. I know there's places that only has about a foot of water on the way up there from the Allegheny.
2023/06/23 08:32:43
FishinGuy
I took my old 14"Carolina skiff w a 9.9 Honda up to Emlinton once many years ago. Had to trim the motor up all the way, leave the throttle pinned, and my buddy and I jumped out of the boat to push it up a long shallow stretch. Sketchy AF in hindsight, wouldn't do it again. But the fishing was pretty good, once we could get back in the boat. Would be much less risky to take 2 cars and float the stretch/shuttle back up to the next ramp in a car.
2023/06/23 08:58:00
CTKsnowman
EMitch
Last year, I talked to a guy down at the Freeport launch who has two boats, one of which is a jet. He said he's been up the Kiski river and caught some huge walleyes up past Leechburg. I know there's places that only has about a foot of water on the way up there from the Allegheny.

I tried going down the Kiski river a few weeks ago, my shallow water alarm started going off right after I went under the bridge.
2023/06/23 09:10:31
Porktown
There is a boat (or possibly multiple boats) that cruise up and down Smithton (Yough), through the rapids at 25-30mph.  This is less than knee deep water going over rocks for a good 30-40 yard stretches in places.  Not sure how they do it, I've seen kayaks have to get out and push going down some of these areas.  Guessing the higher speed has them on plane with the hull skimming and must not really be a concern of the jet prop hitting rocks?  Also likely knows where the slightly deeper areas are while navigating too.  Looks like a blast.  Not sure if they are a guide that fishes certain areas or just out there cruising for fun.  Only seen them cruising.  Looks to be a pretty expensive boat with controls, windshield and pretty new looking.  
2023/06/23 09:33:44
MyWar
FishinGuy
I took my old 14"Carolina skiff w a 9.9 Honda up to Emlinton once many years ago. Had to trim the motor up all the way, leave the throttle pinned, and my buddy and I jumped out of the boat to push it up a long shallow stretch. Sketchy AF in hindsight, wouldn't do it again. But the fishing was pretty good, once we could get back in the boat. Would be much less risky to take 2 cars and float the stretch/shuttle back up to the next ramp in a car.

Iโ€™ve pretty much made up my mind to try this at some point this summer, although I may end regretting it.

Iโ€™d rather float it too but thatโ€™s a long drive with two cars. For me anyway.
2023/06/23 13:24:50
FishinGuy
It was.... Exciting
2023/06/23 17:42:20
pensfan1
Maiden voyage of the year for The Big Lake tomrw. ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿ’ช ๐ŸŸ ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ˜† report to follow
2023/06/24 01:41:18
crappiefisher
Good Luck! Nice size fish so far this year from all the photos online.
2023/06/24 20:33:31
pensfan1
Went out of Walnut today as planned. Inclose (20 to 25) was devoid of any marks. We ended up 41 with dipseys n meat. Marks were very sporadic. Ended up with 3 keepers. I guess the trenches were slaughterfest. 67+. I would've ventured out but thas a fer piece to run out to on a whim. This 30HP was a very good move for me. It ran great. I can probably drain this break-in oil and change the filter. Should be a another great year. Coolers we saw come in from the deep had many 24" and better fish. Good luck if yer goin mup'dere. See yinz in a couple weeks.
2023/06/25 18:44:05
CTKsnowman
I fished out of Dunkirk NY today, Saturday we had a heavy fog that didn't burn off until after 3 pm. I followed the local's out to 65 FOW and put the down riggers in, trolled at about 2.3-2.6. The eyes also only wanted meat, the old faithful BayRat came up empty... However, I did catch a nice 20" walleye trying out a worm burner for the first time. I'll be up there next weekend to try it again, Barcelona is currently being dredged incase anyone cares. 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account