2024/02/11 09:07:32
Porktown
I made it out to Arthur yesterday to putter around with the electronics. Windy as all crap, which I figured it would be looking at the forecast the past few days. Wasn’t planning to go, but I figured it likely won’t be another few weeks. Heck, months, to be in the upper 50s. First half of trip, I was able to dial in some electronics and found a ton of structure, but didn’t appear to have any fish on them. I was getting blown off of the structure as soon as on it, even with a single anchor down (dropping down wind). I figured that I’d head to some wind protected areas. On the way there a fish broke the surface on a dropped down tree. I went to position my boat to where I’d be able to cast and be a bit wind protected. While positioning, I notice my electronics light up like a Christmas tree. I’m talking a pretty good loop away from this tree. I figure to take another loop to see if I was just seeing things. My objective was to use electronics and try to learn, so I didn’t even make it to the downed tree (could have been loaded). Got myself relatively close to what I marked and figured to give it a try. Figured it would be gizzard Shad and be a Quick Look. I end up getting a nice 12” white crappie. Pulled out 2 other 12” and a few dinks. Then, my decision to not top off my batteries before heading out bit me in the rear…. In the blind, not a single hit.
2024/02/11 11:08:48
rippinlip
Thanks for the update. So no ice on the lake at all?

2024/02/11 14:04:16
Porktown
rippinlip
Thanks for the update. So no ice on the lake at all?

I didn’t venture too far due to the wind. But appeared to be all open. Some of the shaded coves could possibly have ice. Pensfan told me years ago he had his boat out and there was a guy ice fishing one of the coves…. I’m not even that hard up for to fish!
2024/02/11 15:05:38
pensfan1
I looked back at last seasons pics, we started going to Moraine 3rd week of March. Ofcourse it wasn't 50s last February either. I'd guess you could go to Pymie and fish down by the dam. Those fish are probably right where we left them in November.
2024/02/11 15:30:42
Porktown
pensfan1
I looked back at last seasons pics, we started going to Moraine 3rd week of March. Ofcourse it wasn't 50s last February either. I'd guess you could go to Pymie and fish down by the dam. Those fish are probably right where we left them in November.

I don’t think there has ever been a Saturday in early February reaching close to 60, that followed 2 weeks of enough warm weather to have it open. Some of those other variables likely happen most years. Having all of those variables is pretty rare. Usually the warm days are middle of the work week. I mostly have to burn vacation days to get out in the spring or fall. Probably how it will end up being this spring.
2024/02/12 16:58:04
CTKsnowman
Fished the Deer Creek DHALO on Saturday, I saw maybe 10 small fish in the quarter mile stretch I walked. Sadly, I didn't land any.
2024/02/13 12:48:40
Mitchell
Porktown
I made it out to Arthur yesterday to putter around with the electronics.

My objective was to use electronics and try to learn, 

What are you using, Pork? Lowrance, 'Bird, Garmin? Is is new to you, or just brand new? Side & Down imaging? I'll be going into my 3rd season with my Helix 7, side and down, and I carry the instruction booklet with me and to me, (I'm cyber stupid), it is a clusterflock! I screw it up bad enough that I have to get my son to straighten it out enough that I can at least see the bottom. The Demo video that Humminbird puts out tells ya how easy it is.??? Yeah, right! 
2024/02/13 14:51:23
Porktown
DM sent Mitch. I could probably write a book in this response.
2024/03/04 15:49:12
pensfan1
2 days around 528 area. Next to Zilch, zero, nadda, nothing. 3bites Sunday 1 largemouth. 2 bites today, 1 crappie. We did 5ft and in all the way to 2 ft. Water temp was 46 47 in the shallow shallows. I guess it should be anyday for that to start, you would think. Good luck. I got reports of Pymie being good. There's all kinds on pics of FB.
2024/03/04 20:34:16
crappiefisher
 Set a couple minnow traps in the yard late this afternoon. Pulled them at dark, didn't want the Newts to drown overnight. Peeper frogs were going purdy good.

Not sure if going late morning, afternoon or evening till after dark yet tomorrow. Haven't kept a fish to eat in a long time. Seem to always dump the bucket out at the end. Getting low in the freezer so will probably keep some this time if having good luck. Nice to have a little live bait if artificial baits are slow. Most likely going for Pike and if they aren't active switch to whatever is hungry.

crappy 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account