March Salmon River Steelhead Fishing Report's, Forecast's, Tip's and Rambling's, Etc... Enjoy!

Author
Randy Jones
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 24
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/09 16:33:15 (permalink)

March Salmon River Steelhead Fishing Report's, Forecast's, Tip's and Rambling's, Etc... Enjoy!

A very edited sampling of fishing report's, etc... :)
-
I'm noticing more angler's out on the river, which is always nice to see. Less down, more up. The lower in the river you fish the easier they are to catch, in my opinion.
We have a "good number" of Steelhead making their way up river as well as a lot that have been in the river for awhile. Both transitional (hint:) and Winter holding spots are producing. Starting to see some spawning activity which is normal. In Feb. we call these our early spawners.
Within the next few weeks we will see approx. 80% of the Steelhead in the river turning thier attention to a specific type of rock and current break. Within the next few weeks (give or take) we will also start to see drop back's. These are fish that have finished spawning and are now on there way back to the lake. Stopping along the way down river in all the normal spots to feed and regain their strength.
I've seen a good number of fish that were in a transitional state, moving up the river and briefly holding in the transitional lyes. Presently, all of the fish in the river are starting to feel their biological clock ticking, making them think and behave a lil differently.
-
I hope all of the past, present and future reports, tips, articles, pictures and ramblings entertains and keeps you safe while helping you in your Steelhead quest!
Sharing this info. with you has and always will be a pleasure.
Best Fish's,
Randy

Tip:
Cream is my favorite glow bug fly (egg imitation) color. Pink is a close second.
Tip:
I find that Silicone spray or Ice Off Paste (or both together) works best for dealing with ice in your guides. Put the paste on the night before for best results. Re-apply as needed while fishing. (sold at most fishing shops around here, works on fly and spin rods)
-
FYI - There is a free magazine you can pick up at most fishing shops around and beyound New England presently that has a couple of nice articles in it dealing with the Salmon River. It's called "The Fisherman Magazine" and is a two part series in two consecutive issues. One of the articles is about "Reading the Water". I was flattered as usual to be asked by the writer (Thank's John Silva! :) to contribute to that one.
-
(See photo - yankeeangler.com)
This was the Nantucket Sleigh ride fish mentioned in the fishing reports. WHat a Honk'A Congrats! (Fish Released)
(See Photo)
What a beauty! (Fish Released) Photo by Pro Photographer John Halnon
(See Photo)
Fish kept for the dinner table. Congrats again! (Fish released into the refrigerator :)
-
I sincerely hope that what lil I've been able to share with you over these past 10 or more years and will continue to share with you has helped you along the road to becoming a better, more informed, experienced angler. Thanks for spending some of your valuable internet fishing time here. Im flattered as usual!
Hello to all of the service men and women over sea's that enjoy my fishing reports. Wishing you all a safe return home!
Best Fish's,
-
Randy
http://www.yankeeangler.com
Fishing Reports Page - Tips, Reports, Articles, Pictures, Plus.....

1 Reply Related Threads

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    • Reward points: 0
    RE: March Salmon River Steelhead Fishing Report's, Forecast's, Tip's and Rambling's, Etc.. 2008/03/11 00:29:25 (permalink)
    Cool report Randy. Please keep it coming.
    Coming up end of March I think. These kind of reads get the juices flowing...

Lyrical
    Jump to: