Local cats and carp

Author
Redman9603$
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points: 0
2024/06/15 17:26:53 (permalink)

Local cats and carp

I’m looking for somewhere that’s easy to get to for some cats or carp in the evening. My son doesn’t walk that well and he wants to go fishing in the evenings. Was wondering about North Park. Anybody have luck there?

4 Replies Related Threads

Invicta
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 486
    Re: Local cats and carp 2024/06/16 23:35:57 (permalink)
    North Park is good for carp!
    snagr
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 505
    Re: Local cats and carp 2024/06/17 14:10:03 (permalink)
    Not sure where you're located or how far you're willing to drive, but Pymatuning is the easiest place in the world to catch channel cats.  It's hard NOT to catch them when fishing for other fish in the evenings and after dark in the summer time.  Many easily accessible places there near Jamestown marina, Espyville marina, Linesville marina and most other launches around the lake.  

There's also a little fishing pier on the Shenango River below the dam which is marked as handicap priority I believe.  My son has pulled some really nice channel cats out of that little pool right at the base of the lowhead dam in front of the pier.  The whole stretch from the dock up to the dam was polluted with channel cats in the summer the couple times we have fished down there.  Up by the dam is a challenging walking/standing though.  

Lake Arthur is usually a pretty good place too.  Easy access around the 528 launch and Bear Run launch.  Many other places around the lake with good access without challenging walking as well.   

Both places in the summer, the cat fishing is best when the sun gets down behind the trees and before it gets totally dark.  

If you want any specific info on locations at those lakes, feel free to send me a PM.  
    DeadGator401
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 916
    Re: Local cats and carp 2024/06/19 20:57:47 (permalink)
    North Park is full of bullheads and some channels. Carp are in there too. 
    Mobility wise, there's plenty of places that are fully accessible and have easy access to the lake. 

According to this website, fishing is open at North Park from 8 am - midnight. 
    https://www.alleghenycounty.us/Parks-and-Events/Parks/About-County-Parks/Resources/Parks-Policies-and-Regulations

Go out and drown some worms, and I'm sure you'll do well. 

I've seen some absolute monster carp by the boathouse recently.
    Always did well on Bass in the pond behind the ice rink. Forget the name, but the one with the little island on it that you can walk on. (Great spot). 

Also, Snag is right - Arthur is loaded with channels. The best way to catch them is to target something else, and you're guaranteed to nail em. 

MyWar
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1952
    Re: Local cats and carp 2024/06/20 14:06:50 (permalink)
    I’ve seen people pull some big channel cats out of north park. Much bigger than I expected. Try some cut bait, like some of the small bluegill that are abundant in that lake.

Also there are some giants in the rivers around the city. Lots of guys target big flatheads in the Mon. Try the mon wharf, again, with cut bait and a heavy rig with maybe a 3/4 -1 oz sinker. Not as pretty as north park but if you want to go big, this is where you want to go. Although flatheads might be spawning right now so you might have to wait a couple weeks for the bit to pick up again.
    Jump to: