Helpful ReplyLake Wilhelm needs HELP

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
wirenut45
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 152
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/07 08:29:54 (permalink)
haven,t noticed the speedboaters ,n, pwc,ers show too much interest in the welfare of the fishermen on shenango or conneat so far. in fact, quite the opposite. so i don,t think they can be counted on to help in the improvement of the fisherie, tho i,d bet they,ll help get the h.p. restrictions removed. JMHO.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4028
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/07 12:37:54 (permalink)
Count me in to keep the HP restrictions on Wilhelm.  

Grew up fishing that lake and I am saddened by what it has become.  But, removing HP restrictions would in no way, shape or form help the current issues.  Just my $0.02.

FishinGuy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2083
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/07 12:49:05 (permalink)
+1 I don't see removing HP restrictions helping the fishing at all. It may generate more interest but I'd bet for every fisherman newly interested there'd be 3 jet skis or pleasure boaters wanting to use it as a drag strip. "The fishing sucks anyway, right"
TheBlueLagoon
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 802
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/07 14:35:31 (permalink)
FishinGuy
+1 I don't see removing HP restrictions helping the fishing at all. It may generate more interest but I'd bet for every fisherman newly interested there'd be 3 jet skis or pleasure boaters wanting to use it as a drag strip. "The fishing sucks anyway, right"

+1

Got Walleye???
Eman89so
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1806
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/07 14:39:12 (permalink)
+2
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5029
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/07 15:29:51 (permalink)
That would ruin that small lake.
Powerboats towing skiiers and tubers, PWC (which should be outlawed in my opinion), wannabe bass pros with their suped up bass boats.Wouldn't bode well for the fishermen.
Kick the amish off of it for a couple years and see if that helps...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Abear
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 17
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/08 07:31:47 (permalink)
If a lake allows gas motors you should be able to use any Hp,  just idle/no wake if over 20hp.  I would fish Wilhelm and a few other lakes a lot more often.  I like having some lakes reserved just for fishing and no power sports.  Just think I should be able to use my boat and keep the trottle back.
BoroMusky
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 161
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/08 21:59:43 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby MuffPistol 2014/03/11 12:07:04
Bingsbaits: So you are telling me that "wannabe bass pros with suped up boats" are the problem?? Or are you jealous?? Lake Wilhelm is a small lake??? Over 1,700 acres is backyard pond... I agree. Skiing and tubing should be outlawed??? Looks like someone has never been ripped around a lake before on a tube. And blaming the amish for all of our problems.... Great arguements
wirenut45
Avid Angler
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/09 09:24:18 (permalink)
abear: please convince us that you wouldn,t "drop the hammer" on your roarsrite 500 hp speed boat , ever, if given the chance on wilhelm. boro: wonder if anyone ever thought to have an amish write a book on fishing, these guys are apparently "fishin machines." i,ve fished around them at wilhelm, shenango, kahle, mahoning, tamarac ,n, elsewhere ,n, they catch about same as anyone else. tho i will say they play pretty loose with the regs.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5029
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/09 15:31:34 (permalink)
Jealous of what ??? Some moron with a higher horsepower than an IQ with a bunch of patches on his shirt... Grow up...Hell go to Pymy when there is a Bass tourny and they only have 30hp.

Obviously you have never tried to fish Shenango, Counneut or Chatauqua in the summertime in a 14 foot boat...

Wilhelm is long and slender not alot of room for morons with the big motors to rip azz around the lake waking the sh1t out of everybody.

Never said tubing or skiing should be outlawed (Reading comprehension maybe) but you can take those PWC and outlaw every dam one of them..

Who blamed the amish for "ALL" of the problems (reading comprehension again) They kill every legal fish and many not quite so legal fish that they stick a freakin hook in.
Let's say we all fish like that keep every dam fish that is legal...How good would your fishing be then ??

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

mopars0
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 742
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/09 20:37:36 (permalink)
Well Bingsbaits ......well said, covers everything that needs to be covered. Hell I'm running around with a little 9.9 hp on a 16'  enough for me might break down for a 20 hp someday ...lol ... As far as the tourny go, I try to stay away, also had a amish crew ( 2 boats ) dift right down through the middle of 4  boats last May at Pymy after they knew we had found some crappies...thought it was rather rude myself... yes they keep almost everything they catch.

STEVE.
malkol
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 24
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/10 19:43:55 (permalink)
I have been fishing Wilhelm since it opened in 1971 or 1972. We did enjoy many great fishing outings there. Crappy trips always yielded a boat load and some years saw 12 to 14 inchers as normal. I too am saddened by how it has turned out but it is, like all state park lakes, a fishing lake. Having high speed craft churning it up doesn't make any sense to me. To fix the lake it has to be redone. IE drain it and move as many game fish as possible to other lakes and then poison what is left and start all over again. I'll probably never see it come back to what it was but I wish my grandkids could. In the meantime try other areas for fish and take the wave runners and high speed craft to the areas that can comfortably accommodate them. Hope all have a great spring and summer.
BoroMusky
Avid Angler
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/11 07:10:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby MuffPistol 2014/03/11 12:06:05
I think every has forgotten my earlier post... no wake for engines larger than 20. let us bigger boats on there, just don't let us or jet ski's fly around. Bingbaits? A h.p. higher than his IQ? So only dumb people have large engines? I'm confused why you would even include that. As I see it, pro fisherman get paid to fish.... soundz liek dey R smarder dan uss.
chauncy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1298
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/11 07:42:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby TheBlueLagoon 2014/03/11 07:56:23
To the big motor, boat owners, that feel left out because of HP restrictions. Do as some of us dedicated fishers did and buy a removable kicker motor for those lakes and stop complaining and go fishing. You dont need speed to fish these lakes as there's ramps on every area. Find something you can afford and use it when you want/ need too, then take it off til you need it again. I missed fishing Pymy for 2 seasons until i got my 20hp and put it next to my 90.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/11 23:49:32 (permalink)
Shenango Lake is totally out of control with High Horsepower boats. I've seen that lake actually mud up brown from all the wakes crashing the shores. Even Shenango is a joke as far as size running wide open. It only takes minutes to run East and West before you hit a no wake zone at one of the R.R bridges. Most have no respect for fishing boats especially if your drifting or anchored. I personally watched a skier tangle in fishing lines from a boat trolling! Believe me their fishing lines were not way back either.
wirenut45
Avid Angler
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/12 07:27:01 (permalink)
well said chauncy. capt, that is exactly my experience on ALL unlimited water. to believe wilhelm would end  differently is ludicris ( pun intended).
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2083
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/12 08:43:10 (permalink)
I do like boro's theory of a speed limit. But I feel enforcement would be non existent. Especially with my experience on other unlimited lakes, with skiers and jet skis, and yes, bass boats, regularly ignoring posted no wake zones and rules for distance to boats not under way.
BoroMusky
Avid Angler
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/12 09:04:32 (permalink)
Can we all agree though that the argument of "you would ruin your prop" is the most pointless of all arguments in this convo.  If I were to run aground, hit a stump, or go too shallow... it is my* fault. not the lake's fault, not my boat's fault, not the fish commissioner's fault.  Take responsibility to your own actions and don't try to blame someone or something else.  If it's too shallow, slow down... if you don't know how deep the lake is, find a map.
TheBlueLagoon
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 802
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/12 11:12:04 (permalink)
BoroMusky
Can we all agree though that the argument of "you would ruin your prop" is the most pointless of all arguments in this convo.  If I were to run aground, hit a stump, or go too shallow... it is my* fault. not the lake's fault, not my boat's fault, not the fish commissioner's fault.  Take responsibility to your own actions and don't try to blame someone or something else.  If it's too shallow, slow down... if you don't know how deep the lake is, find a map.

First off, that wasn't even a main argument, more rather a concern of adding UHP to a smaller lake. Jet Skiers and Pleasure boaters are often inconsiderate to the environment around them which would be a safety issue on a shallow lake.  But if you want to bring it up again sure it is personal responsibility regardless of what size motor you have on your boat. The issue with Wilhelm is it is very narrow and shallow in parts, most are marked areas and some areas are not. IMO there is just simply not enough room to have UHP. UHP allowance with a speed limit in effect would never be enforced, I probably seen a commission officer on that lake once in the past 7-8 years.

Got Walleye???
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3479
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/12 14:40:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby crappiefisher 2014/03/12 20:15:44
 Most likely there will be a massive die off ov shad staring now which might help it out. Maybe another next yr. could knock the population back in check for a while.

crappy
NAsteelheader
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 78
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/12 15:14:28 (permalink)
I personally believe that removing the horsepower limit is a RETARDED idea.
 However my 2 cents to help the problem is to reduce the limit and numbers of large bass that are taken through the ice.
 With all of the ice fisherman taking large bass reduces the numbers of bass in the lake, Crappies as well.
 Also with leaving some of the larger fish in the lake, they may just be able to eat up more of the shad.
 I am a firm believer that if more guys would release fish our fisheries would be much better than they are.
 If you take a good look at the GOOD YEARS that we all talk about, you will find that there were much less fishermen back then. This means less fish were being taken.
Don't get me wrong, I do keep some fish. BUT, I ONLY KEEP WHAT WILL BE EATEN THAT DAY OR THE NEXT. And I never keep bass. That is just me.
Also The blue army does not help our cause, They know how to kill any fisherie or good hunting areas. These guys keep and kill anything in sight.

It's your fish story,so tell it any way you want!!!
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9842
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/12 16:16:27 (permalink)
100% for HP restricted lakes, although I wish they were 25HP to allow for more manufacturers to choose from.  These HP restrictions aren't new, so those of us that bought the larger motor boat knew that we couldn't use on these lakes.  Way too hard/expensive for the PFBC to prove violations in court and have enough officers available for the speed limit idea.  Luckily they allow larger crafts with HP restrictions, so a kicker allows us on the lakes.  The USACE lakes, Erie and 3 Rivers, along with a few other lakes provide a lot of oppertunity for larger crafts.  The state needs lakes for those who enjoy small craft recreation too (canoe, kayak, small motor boats or small sail boats).  There are plenty of 12'-16' boats with motors to be had for cheap.  You can own more than one boat.  Kind of like rods, there really isn't a perfect boat for every kind of fishing...
Jmartin12
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 14
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/12 19:08:32 (permalink)
I have been going to Wilhelm since I was real young, and it really is a shame to see how far downhill it has gotten. I remember when the marina used to be busy, and there were a good amount of boats on the water. It is almost like no one really goes to Wilhelm at all anymore. There is so much potential with that lake for fishing given the structure and amount of coves throughout the lake. Somehow these shad numbers need to decrease within the next few years, or the problem may get even worse.
Flying Fish
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 240
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/13 11:17:06 (permalink)
How have other lakes eliminated or decreased the shad population?
MuffPistol
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/13 11:58:18 (permalink)
WITH PREDETORS!
Flying Fish
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 240
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/13 14:26:47 (permalink)
Get rid of the shad and bring back another lake that was once great.  Never see boats there anymore when crossing over 79 on my way to camp at Pymie.  Used to see lots of them.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3479
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/13 15:06:11 (permalink)
FF,
I'd say mostly from winter die offs. Then the predators help to a better balance,  At least the lake closest near I.

crappy
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9842
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/14 10:00:13 (permalink)
crappiefisher
FF,
I'd say mostly from winter die offs. Then the predators help to a better balance,  At least the lake closest near I.

crappy

Many states stock the byrds for that very reason.  I am not sure if that is "why" Arthur and Shenango get them, would guess that it is part of the equation.  Being sterile (or 99%), fast growing and not an extremely long life span, they are easy for the PFBC to manage taking over.  That said, they are eating machines and will wipe out other species that weren't intended to be controlled.  To me, beats the heck out of draining and re-stocking.  Do a few years of heavy wiper stocking and see what happens.  They will definitely eat their share of the 1"-10" gizzard shad.  Maybe add Wilhelm to the throw net list?  Not sure if the Amish would keep any gizzard shad for fish patties or not?
bigesox11
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 122
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/14 15:42:29 (permalink)
I would love to see more lakes become unlimited horsepower and have a speed limit or "no wake" area pr areas.  I too have the money to buy a kicker motor, but I only have a 40hp as my main motor!  Having a 20hp kicker motor next to a 40hp main motor would be ridiculous in my opinion.  My 40hp would then be even more underpowered. 
chauncy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1298
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/14 16:17:40 (permalink)
bigesox11
I would love to see more lakes become unlimited horsepower and have a speed limit or "no wake" area pr areas.  I too have the money to buy a kicker motor, but I only have a 40hp as my main motor!  Having a 20hp kicker motor next to a 40hp main motor would be ridiculous in my opinion.  My 40hp would then be even more underpowered. 

Evidently with a 40hp, you're not looking for speed, so why put a 20 on there. A 10 will do just fine. Even an old 9.9 would be alright. You dont have to spend a small fortune for a kicker motor. Just get something that will allow you to fish the limited HP lakes. Had a 9.9 merc next to my 50 honda for years and fished the hell out of the linesville stumps with it.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: