Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
wetnoodle
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points: 0
2014/01/13 10:16:27 (permalink)

Lake Wilhelm needs HELP

Fished Wilhelm yesterday for about 5 hours in the back bay between the main causway and 79...didn't get a single flag!!! and we had awesome bait.  So disappointed in the decline of this once great fishery.  5-6 years ago we used to pound trophy largemouth and musky all winter long, and now I can't even get the smaller ones to bite.  The strange emergence of a thriving gizzard shad population is ruining the lake, if it hasn't ruined it already.  Walking around the ice yesterday I must have seen 300-400 gizzard shad either frozen in the ice, or upside down and dead right below the ice.  I know gizzard shad mortality is common in the winter, but these fish shouldn't even be in there, and there are 1000s of them!!!  There isn't a single game fish in that lake looking for food because they don't need to, they're eating all the dying shad.  Lakes with gizzard shad need Stripers or Hybrids to counter-balance strong reproduction from the Shad population.  A petition was put together by a local bait shop in the area in attempt to stock hybrids, but I don't think the commission had enough funds to implement. Such a shame. 
TheBlueLagoon
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 802
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/01/13 10:59:21 (permalink)
Preachin' to the choir man! I used to love Wilhelm, I would go there over pymy any day and catch some PIGS and nice crappie. Now you can't buy a bite from the eyes and if you get crappie they're undersized and thin.

They did stock additional musky last year to potentially help with the shad problem, however I think you're right the lake needs hybrids to help even more.

Got Walleye???
BoroMusky
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 161
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/01/13 13:04:13 (permalink)
It is ashame.  Hybrids would most definitely help reduce numbers of shad and would also attract more fisherman to that lake.  But there has got to be another viable solution to ridding or decreasing numbers of shad without stocking another non-native species.  Hybrids are sterile and can't reproduce so with time they would die off, so that's not a long-term concern to Ecologists and Fisheries Biologists.
This is just an idea, how effective would drawing the lake down substantially work?  Shad are a fragile fish species and with a low oxygen content and being over crowded, I could see many dying off.  A draw-down would also make it easier for the fish and boat commission to set trap nets intended to trap the shad and remove them.  Problems with that is $$$ and possibly killing other fish.  Idk, just a thought.
Last solution is completely draining the lake, removing all* fish, transporting the desired ones to other local lakes, and starting that lake over from scratch. I think that's the only way to really do it, but I don't think that would fly.  Too many anglers would hate that
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/01/13 15:47:47 (permalink)
Its was my go to lake for GIANT GILLS,but I'm OLD and you young guys never saw it. 9 inch gills all day.
mrsgloria
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/01/13 17:13:09 (permalink)
Shad are a fragile fish species and with a low oxygen content and being over crowded, I could see many dying off.  A draw-down would also make it easier for the fish and boat commission to set trap nets i
Fish5000
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 694
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/01/13 18:15:25 (permalink)
I thought it was just me! Wilhelm doesn't seem to be the fishery it once was.
wetnoodle
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 13
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/01/14 09:06:00 (permalink)
Maybe we can try to get a petition started on here to stock hybrids or maybe they can set traps, or even maybe electroshock some areas and net all the shad and throw em on the bank for the eagles!
icecube
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 63
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/01/14 12:11:37 (permalink)
When the shad are spawning along the banks.  I think you could shock them or net them. You ought to see that lake when there spawning. From the shore 8 to 10 feet out. They are splashing and rolling around as far as you can see up the shore line.  Looks like Millions of them.
pawatergremlin
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 77
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/01/27 19:09:25 (permalink)
gizzard shad eat plankton...they're filter feeders so straw hats wont work....drawdown will only work for a few months then they'll be right back, or more of a slippery slope...they emit a pheromone when there is an overabundance of shad that inhibits the hatching of the eggs of almost all the fish in the area.....once gizzards are there...they're there.....still wanna dump that bait bucket in the lake?

Fish5000
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 694
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/01/30 17:12:16 (permalink)
pawatergremlin
gizzard shad eat plankton...they're filter feeders so straw hats wont work....drawdown will only work for a few months then they'll be right back, or more of a slippery slope...they emit a pheromone when there is an overabundance of shad that inhibits the hatching of the eggs of almost all the fish in the area.....once gizzards are there...they're there.....still wanna dump that bait bucket in the lake?

"Or more of a slippery slope -  Still wanna dump that bait bucket in the lake"? It's also illegal and that's a slippery slope, lol!
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/01/30 23:39:58 (permalink)
Wilhelm has really got a bad rap the last few years on Shad explosion numbers. Shenango also had some big numbers of Shad a few years back but they seem to be in check the last few years. I'm going to say Stripers , White Bass, and Catfish seem to be the counter balance. I really don't see Musky eating a lot of Shad with Carp around. We never once landed a Musky on Shad imitation lures on Shenango. Stripers will eat Shad like candy all day !
MuffPistol
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/02/25 12:34:57 (permalink)
Some people may hate me for saying this but i honestly believe bowfin could really help out lake wilhelm. a friend of mine has taken me there before and wow. gizzard shad...
BoroMusky
Avid Angler
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/02/25 18:00:12 (permalink)
Why could any person hate you for saying that? Bowfin are a native species that get a terrible rap.  I don't see why more people don't target them.... They are tough fighters, grow bigger than bass, hit the same lures as bass...
MuffPistol
New Angler
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/02/25 22:07:01 (permalink)
BoroMusky
Why could any person hate you for saying that? Bowfin are a native species that get a terrible rap.  I don't see why more people don't target them.... They are tough fighters, grow bigger than bass, hit the same lures as bass...

Totally agree, they just got a bad rap since the whole snakehead-bowfin mix up was going on a few years back and didnt want to get in a stupid arguement on here with someone uneducated about bowfin haha. But i do target them when im bored during the day at conneaut. I just hope someone fixes up this Wilhelm situation. ASAP... it would be a really nice mini pymatuning if muskie's really took over too...
griffon
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1104
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/02/26 09:28:38 (permalink)
Just a thought... Open the lake up to unrestricted HP (I probably wouldn't have skiing or jetskis...), have a launch fee (or seasonal pass) and use the funds toward lake restoration...  It is a big lake with more than enough room for the unlimited HP boats.  Right now the lake sees minimal pressure and gets very little attention.  It seems to me that the added traffic would put more of an emphasis on repairing what seems to be broken.
Jmartin12
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 14
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/02/26 18:48:06 (permalink)
I agree with muffpistol, Bowfin would definitely help get rid of the shad at Wilhelm. There are definitely some monster bass and muskie in that lake, it is a shame it has been so down.
muskefisher
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 108
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/02 13:02:40 (permalink)
The whole problem is with so much bait the game fish can feed when they want to and not when we want them to. Shad color musky baits worked well at Arthur and Ohio lakes I fish but with so many shad there's too much competition making them harder too catch.  The only way to get the shad under control is to stock more predators.  Stripers are likely out due to lack of deep water.  With the outbreak of VHS its hard to trade for Hybrids.  Muskies, Catfish, and walleye would help.  Its tough to fish a lake when you know that you will most likely get skunked or catch very little.  That's why I avoid both Arthur & Wilhelm until things get better.
griffon
Pro Angler
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/02 14:24:36 (permalink)
So... what your saying is the way to solve these problems is with money... hmm... just a thought, have the powers that be stop discriminating against a majority of boat owners...unless you feel the Amish might foot the bill and pay for improvements.
shrodreel
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 85
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/02 16:27:23 (permalink)
What suggestions have been put forth by the Pa. Fish Comm. aquatic/fisheries biologists ?
I have a cabin 2 miles from Wilhelm and I started fishing it several yrs after it was put in. I won't tell you about the bass numbers we caught (especially in the flooded timber) cause you probably wouldn't believe it. Both the size and quantity were incredible and it remained very good for a lot of years..not to mention the nice sized gills and crappy numbers..I quit fishing it 2yrs ago..Now you'll fish **** hard to get a decent bass..
and the hundreds of people that fished there have moved there operations to Pymmie & Conneaut...putting more pressure on those lakes ..
I guess it's out of the question to draw the lake down and get rid of all the shad and whatever other problems exist ??
At least the bike trail is still there..

mikesdad
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 48
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/05 18:21:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby MuffPistol 2014/03/06 00:20:49
It's more than just the shad....as if that wasn't bad enough.
Here is a copy of an email that I received from the Park Manager on 8/30/2013 when I inquired about what they had decided at a meeting that I was unable to attend. Just passing it along.

Sorry that you were unable to attend the program at McKeever ELC.

Main point: There are a series of things impacting the lake water quality and fishery at Lake Wilhelm.

All the data isn’t in yet but we know that gizzard shad, high phosphorous levels, Eurasian milfoil, and other factors are impacting the lake.

Possible solution: formation of a citizen’s watershed group that would be able to raise funds and potential grant monies to continue water quality studies as well as possibly doing some remediation within the Lake Wilhelm watershed should problem areas be defined.

At this point our Friends of Goddard are the contact point for starting such a group.

If you are interested in helping out I would be happy to forward your information to Sherry Simons the Secretary of FROG.

Thanks.

Bill

I’d be happy to discuss these issues further if you give a call.

William F. Wasser |Park Manager
Bureau of State Parks/Maurice K. Goddard State Park
Phone: 724-253-4833|Fax: 724-253-3234
www.dcnr.state.pa.us  www.iConservePA.org 
shrodreel
Novice Angler
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/05 19:26:24 (permalink)
Thanks for the heads-up. I will contact Mr. Wasser and see what we might be able to do to try and bring this once great fishery back to a semblance of what it was. I think the Eurasian milfoil has been there for quite awhile..I guess the phosphorous is most likely from agricultural run-of.
TheBlueLagoon
Expert Angler
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/05 22:19:26 (permalink)
griffon
So... what your saying is the way to solve these problems is with money... hmm... just a thought, have the powers that be stop discriminating against a majority of boat owners...unless you feel the Amish might foot the bill and pay for improvements.

IMO this is silly, unlimited hp on Wilhelm would be a mistake.. For one it's fairly shallow in multiple areas if you're not familiar with the lake you'll destroy your prop flyin around in your uhp, secondly it's just a very long and narrow lake, river like in width and would become a madhouse with pleasure boaters.

Got Walleye???
Slabseeker
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 73
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/05 23:26:39 (permalink)
I agree with TheBlueLagoon that the lake is too narrow for UHP. There would be too much wake for guys trying to fish either from shore or in a boat. I have a 16' aluminum and have had water come in over the transom thanks to some pleasure boaters on Shenango.
MuffPistol
New Angler
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/06 01:01:20 (permalink)
They should introduce Weevil(insect), they have about a 50/50 chance of removing the milfoil if properly introduced... as for the phosphorous levels, that's basically inevitable for any body of water nowadays.also, im not too sure about opening up the horse power to unlimited due to the depth and width of the lake. Either way, lets figure this **** out and get er goin. i wanna see some big muskies being taken out of there by people other than the super secret cult of muskie fisherman that supposedly " know all the secrets"....  
griffon
Pro Angler
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/06 08:09:42 (permalink)

IMO this is silly, unlimited hp on Wilhelm would be a mistake.. For one it's fairly shallow in multiple areas if you're not familiar with the lake you'll destroy your prop flyin around in your uhp, secondly it's just a very long and narrow lake, river like in width and would become a madhouse with pleasure boaters.

Wilhelm is bigger, wider and deeper than many other lakes in the surrounding area that have no problems whatsoever with unlimited HP.  Wilhelm has no development on the shores, so private property would not be damaged and to use the scare tactic of "destroy your prop" is totally ridiculous.  It's called personal responsibility and underwater hazards are a risk no matter where you go.  My feeling is that the only reason you or any other person would be against this would be because you don't want additional pressure on your little piece of PUBLIC property.  That is fine, just stop whining about the problems the lake is having and fix it yourselves.  I don't feel that a single penny of my license and registration fees should go toward helping this lake until you open it up to where everyone is allowed to use it equally. 
TheBlueLagoon
Expert Angler
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/06 09:43:04 (permalink)
griffon
Wilhelm is bigger, wider and deeper than many other lakes in the surrounding area that have no problems whatsoever with unlimited HP.  Wilhelm has no development on the shores, so private property would not be damaged and to use the scare tactic of "destroy your prop" is totally ridiculous.  It's called personal responsibility and underwater hazards are a risk no matter where you go.  My feeling is that the only reason you or any other person would be against this would be because you don't want additional pressure on your little piece of PUBLIC property.  That is fine, just stop whining about the problems the lake is having and fix it yourselves.  I don't feel that a single penny of my license and registration fees should go toward helping this lake until you open it up to where everyone is allowed to use it equally. 

which lakes are you referring to with Unlimited HP, Conneaut? it's also a zoo and is pretty much unfishable with anyone in a smaller boat in the summer on weekends. If you want to zip around with your 150 HP go to the river or Conneaut lake and join the crowd.

"My feeling is that the only reason you or any other person would be against this would be because you don't want additional pressure on your little piece of PUBLIC property"

well you couldn't be more off base pal, I live in Pittsburgh and travel a good distance to fish Wilhelm occasionally, I could care less, how many people fish Wilhelm or when they fish it. Just because I disagree with your idea of UHP, doesn't mean I don't want people to fish Wilhelm or the lake to improve.

It's also more of a discussion then whining, but hey it's your opinion, I can respect that.  By your logic all fisheries should be UHP, that's ludacris IMO. I'm sure when you bought your boat, you recognized that in the state of PA most of the lakes have a HP restriction of 20 some are even 9.9 or electric only. If you have an issue, buck up and buy the kicker.
post edited by TheBlueLagoon - 2014/03/06 11:00:52

Got Walleye???
griffon
Pro Angler
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/06 11:11:25 (permalink)
Lets see... First, Conneaut is a zoo because of the PWC and pleasure boaters that live on the lake, that said, there is a ton of money dropped into the lake and it is healthier than Wilhelm... Crooked,  Shenango, Tionesta are examples of lakes that are a few of the local lakes along with Mosquito across the border.  I typically run either to Erie or out of state over to Ohio, up to NY or down to WV and KY to fish some of their waters.  The thing is, guys come on here and want the lake to be better than it is.  Simple enough, either fix it yourself (go start a "save Wilhelm Foundation) or bring others in to help with the cause.  If I wanted to run a 9.9 I certainly could (less than $1500).  I spend more than that in gas to travel from state to state each year and never have to worry about "stupid" restrictions the likes of which PA tries to put on sportsmen.  Don't even get me started on Pymie... what a friggin joke.
post edited by griffon - 2014/03/06 11:54:06
BoroMusky
Avid Angler
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/06 19:33:40 (permalink)
I feel horsepower restricitions are ridiculous. I know why they are enforced and I like that some lakes have zero waterskiing and no wakes... but why not enforce a "no wake" for engines larger than 10 or 20 h.p.. That's the way leboeuf is and I think that solves almost all the problems.
shrodreel
Novice Angler
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/06 21:18:10 (permalink)
Wait a sec here boys and girls..I thought we were tryin to figger out what can be done to eliminate the gizzard shad, eurasian millfoil and phosphorous problems & to try and restore this once great fishery...now were talkin about opening the lake to unlimited horsepower ...am I missin something here ??
BoroMusky
Avid Angler
Re: Lake Wilhelm needs HELP 2014/03/07 00:15:08 (permalink)
The topic is "Lake Wilhelm needs help".  I think "improving" the horsepower restrictions on that lake would "help" wilhelm.... very on topic. If the horsepower restrictions were eliminated or even improved, means more people could access that lake, including me. So, if more people would boat on that lake, means that more people would be aware of it's problems...and would want to help out and make changes.
post edited by BoroMusky - 2014/03/07 07:12:31
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to: