Helpful ReplySteelhead fishing just ain't the same !

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Riverbum
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 294
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Steelhead fishing SOS 2013/11/01 20:41:03 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
This is one of the best fishing and pristine scenic spots on Elk Creek years back. We had permission along with others to fish it but sadly it's posted and taken over by private fishermen through a lease. I'm sure it's still a beautiful area to fish. It was known as the Beckman area. To bad others and their children won't have that great experience me and my son and friends had there. This was true Steelhead fishing at it's best!  Lots of fish no crowds and you can walk from hole to hole and actually fish. I used 2lb. test line many a day and caught and released about 99%. It was the best of the best !

Not really expecting confirmation, but Some of these look like the area downstream from Folly's. Is this that stretch or further down?

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."~by Tony Blake~

"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in. Its thin current slides away, but eternity remains."
~by Henry David Thoreau~

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Steelhead fishing SOS 2013/11/01 23:35:24 (permalink)
That area is between I - 90 and the old covered Gundgenville bridge way below Follies . Little Elk flows in that's it behind me in photo 4. Some guys can't wait to bust and criticize any thing you post I guess we are not as perfect as some Pro's on this site. Guess what we let em go and they swam away fine unharmed. Holding the outside gill for a short time has no effect but since those past years I usually hold horizontal. One difference between me and the big talkers I got and can post the photos ! Can they ? Photos talk and bull.... walks !
dano
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
Re: Steelhead fishing SOS 2013/11/02 09:24:16 (permalink)
fish12
Loomis
I wasn't being a smart alec, I really want you to post more pix from the earlier times.

I would like to see some also.

No digital cameras back then and most people didn't carry around their Kodak Instamatics.
 The old man across the street who was in his 90's, passed away a few years back. He had a stack of photo albums he used to show me from the earlier years. Glen and Bob sure have aged well. Those albums brought back a lot of my own memories from the earlier years.
 Anyways, even in prime conditions, there was always good to great water to fish. What we see mid week is what used to be on Sat or Sun and only when the fishing was on. By December, you could have longs stretches to yourself. Back then, if I saw two cars parked at the "patch", I'd get ****ed and  move on up to I-90 or the snake pit and above. Back then, there were a lot less fish. I think it just seemed there were more fish because of the lack of angler pressure.
 Nowdays, fishing in Erie is more like a social event and less like the old traditional way of trout fishing.
I don't have any pictures but picture this. It's Thanksgiving Morning and at daylight, you pull up to Rt. 5 on 20-Mile creek and there are no cars parked anywhere near the creek. The creek is prime.
Plum Bob
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 575
Re: Steelhead fishing SOS 2013/11/02 11:09:16 (permalink)
+1 to what dano posted. That's exactly the way it was from the early 80's thru early 90's. Lots of room and enough fish. Glen & I have stacks of pics from the good ole days. Now its basically just a social thing for us and I believe, for the most part, Dan too. Still fun though, especially when the stream conditions are such that we don't have to fish in PA!
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Steelhead fishing SOS 2013/11/02 18:35:47 (permalink)
Great to hear the way it was with you guys because that's what I experienced for many years . Man the crowds are just unreal today and areas are becoming so packed and limited. Also the creeks don't seem to hold winter water like years back . I guess saying Erie Steelheading sucks was a little strong it's still what you make of it. Your right Dano all my old photos are 35 mm and that camera was heavy but I'm glad I lugged it around when I did. These spots I posted I'll never get to fish again and the memories and photos are whats left. It's always sad to see areas posted up and know that others will not have the opportunities we had. Dano just like you said imagine late October and I arrive at Trout Run at daylight and I'm the only one there and Trout are rippling all along the shoreline feeding. I guess we were spoiled big time !

Early 90's  I-90 hole

Beckman area......Big Hole area .............usual crowd

80's at Trout Run

Another Fall Beckman Steelhead on Elk Creek / Early 2000's /  Lots of room still here
post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2013/11/02 19:21:33
Loomis
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2674
Re: Steelhead fishing SOS 2013/11/04 11:23:31 (permalink)
Thank you CaptainHook, I think those pictures are awesome man.
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: Steelhead fishing SOS 2013/11/04 11:58:29 (permalink)
Even the late 90's and into 2000's there was plenty of room on upper elk during the week,if I saw 2-3 people a day that was normal.Now everyday is a weekend!
Tracker12
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 174
Re: Steelhead fishing SOS 2013/11/04 14:53:41 (permalink)
The was an area we were able to fish anytime we wanted that is now taken over by the guides.  It is disapointing but the landowner will often let me in for a few hours after the guides pack it in.  For me it is fun to be there and enjoy the view.  I can always seem to pick up a few here and there. 
Fish5000
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 694
Re: Steelhead fishing SOS 2013/11/08 19:54:23 (permalink)
Like many of you, I remember the "Glory Days" for Steelhead fishing. Back then I always went in December and distinctly remember looking at the substrate. For ~ 8'  the water was crystal clear and one could see every rock and pebble, but then the water went absolutely black from fish stacked up upon fish. It was exciting to see and looked like something one would see on National Geographic. No, it's not the same and there have been many changes, but for me it's still so exciting to fish for Steelhead at Erie despite all of the variances over time. There are some days when my relatively young son and I not only don't land a fish, we don't get so much as a hit, but as others have written in so many words, it's time well worth spent. I very much appreciate the time we spend together now and they will be so much more appreciated in the near future as he is currently in the ROTC. His plan is to serve this great country in 4 years in the Air Force and make it his career. Hopefully he'll return home often enough that we can share time on the streams again.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Steelhead fishing SOS 2013/11/08 23:42:53 (permalink)
Right on Fish.......Here's an old photo on a Erie public creek fishing area . Remember when this was a common site in most holding holes up and down the creeks for years. I wish I would of took more photos of some of the "honey holes" holding fish. People would call me a liar if I said how many Steelhead I seen holding in some ! You can't imagine unless you were there. Not that you slammed  fish steady because too many fish was not good either. The reason being when you hooked one you spooked the whole school and put them in a panic stage sometime for a long time.  But it was awesome to see....................

Fish5000
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 694
Re: Steelhead fishing SOS 2013/11/09 20:44:25 (permalink)
Thanks for the photo Capt. Hook! Even with refraction, it looks like there are quality fish in that pod. I remember days when there were 10 times that many fish and I didn't bother taking any pictures back then because it was the same thing year after year. I never considered it would change someday, lol. As I posted, the water was absolutely black with fish. It does make for great memories though, doesn't it?!?!
pghmarty
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5951
Re: Steelhead fishing just ain't the same ! 2013/11/09 23:44:59 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
 Dropped down to a long run with three guys and a guide fishing I guess Guides own the whole run when they have clients. They tell me they have been there since 6 am. and haven't moved it's 4 pm! This guide is creek hogging the lower drift with an attitude. Well guess what I respect giving space but I'm at least 30 ft away so live with it. Then the one guy takes a break so the guide wades up and stands in the water to hold his spot and isn't even fishing ! Is this as pitiful as it gets. What's next a Pitbull on a leash ! This guide brings down 3 clients to a public area and hogs the hole for 10 hours and has a attitude with others trying to get in or near all day! Like I said Steelhead Fishing just ain't the same you guys can have it!

Stand upstream and pizz in the water

tippecanoe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1451
Re: Steelhead fishing just ain't the same ! 2013/11/10 01:32:20 (permalink)
is that the real dream catcher?
glen
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: Steelhead fishing SOS 2013/11/10 13:31:15 (permalink)
Loomis
Thank you CaptainHook, I think those pictures are awesome man.

I have 6 albums of pics from 1978 til 1990, When I have time I'll scan some and start a new post "The Old Days"    Glen
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Steelhead fishing SOS 2013/11/11 14:48:39 (permalink)
Glenn and co. , I along with others always enjoy seeing and showing fishing photos. We started a photo post on the Northwest site that is filled with photos. Would be nice to start one on the Erie site like you said. Old photos, or new , big ,small, whatever works ! Go ahead and start it anytime you guys are ready to start.............if you can't fish you got to enjoy seeing photos. Critics not welcome.

A few Winter oldies # 1 The Elk Access area..aka..The Mud Hole....Yea those are huge ice flows behind me !

# 2 The Follies honey hole behind the fly shop.

post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2013/11/11 15:11:33
krott243
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 954
Re: Steelhead fishing SOS 2013/11/16 18:48:12 (permalink)
That FILA hat is awesome

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: