Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
NAsteelheader
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 78
  • Reward points: 0
2013/09/25 18:22:03 (permalink)

TROUT BEADS

Is anybody using these? What size and color is your favorite for Pa waters?
What hook size do you recommend with the different size of beads?
 I am new to this. Thanks for any help!!!

It's your fish story,so tell it any way you want!!!

44 Replies Related Threads

workcanwait....
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 729
    Re: TROUT BEADS 2013/09/25 19:58:06 (permalink)
    Yes I use them.
    They work sometimes better in NY than PA.(WHY???)
    Buy some, rig em' fish em' and learn..its called fishing.
    I could write you a book about em and give you all the info and more on how to catch steel on them but you will have much more fun going out and fishing them and figuring it out yourself.
    Small hook-match the colour and size to water conditions-use your imagination.
    Sarcastic but there is some quality info there.....
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1780
    Re: TROUT BEADS 2013/09/26 19:10:24 (permalink)
    I think he just wanted a starting point. If you have info that can help him, then either offer it or say nothing. That post was unnecessary. I ask a lot of questions too. That's how we grow and get better. Of course there is something to be said for learning on your own, and I'm sure he will, but sometimes it's nice to have someone tell you the best way to get started.

NAsteelheader, I wish I could help you man. I've never used them. Good luck bud.

“If you're in trouble, or hurt or in need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.”
    John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath
    muskiemeat
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 146
    Re: TROUT BEADS 2013/09/26 19:18:57 (permalink)
    8mm and 6mm 4-6inch above hook, use the troutbeads brand pegs  to hold it in placesnip off excess. i use blackbird sabretooth hooks  size 10 and 12

Fish to live...live to fish

One Burbot, One Scotch, One Beerg
    steelhead1994
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 154
    Re: TROUT BEADS 2013/09/26 19:24:43 (permalink)
    I posted in your center pin thread about this, but just in case u read this one first; I'm pretty sure that they are considered an illegal snagging device in pa because they are designed to hook fish on the outside of the mouth, but if u still want to use them here or elsewhere, I bought a bunch and read up on them a little while back b4 I realized they were illegal... I bought 8mm and 10mm beads, also #10 hooks for both. The 10mm seemed a little big for steelhead, I got roe colored. Not much help since I haven't had a chance to use em'....
    steelhead1994
    Avid Angler
    Re: TROUT BEADS 2013/09/26 19:26:55 (permalink)
    http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2988200
    workcanwait....
    Expert Angler
    Re: TROUT BEADS 2013/09/26 19:56:06 (permalink)
    I spoke to PA fish warden 2 years ago asked if they were "legal".
    He told me no problem but the fish has to be hooked in the mouth not outside.
    They are used with the hook 4-6 below bead sometimes and this usually hooks fish on the outside of mouth I just put the hook 1-2 inches below bead it hooks them in the mouth.
    Also try them above bait(minnow or sac) bright colored ones in stained water.
    Another tip is they work better in fast water.
    There now I helped you a little... but as far as colors and sizes you just got to experiment.
    NAsteelheader
    Novice Angler
    Re: TROUT BEADS 2013/09/26 20:55:06 (permalink)
    Thanks everybody for the help. It is much appreated. Believe me when I tell ya. I have plenty of every size and color. Both the beads and the hooks. I'm just here to get a little extra boost on how to get started. I do, do my research. Its just nice to get a little info from those of us that actually fish the waters that we fish together. I am an avid fly fisherman and I do not have any problem catching my share of chrome. But the centerpin is a new chapter in my life. I also will give any help to those that need it.
    Thanks again.

dakota kid
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 235
    Re: TROUT BEADS 2013/09/27 02:26:50 (permalink)
    ummm...... they sell eggs at the bait shop. Those are for the women folk to make bracelets with.

They make a biodegradable soft plastic one too. those you can put the hook right inside, resulting in less snagging and flossing.
    Kevin6wt
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: TROUT BEADS 2013/09/27 09:27:49 (permalink)
    I purchased some beads and pegz from the troutbeads.com vendor at the Cabin Fever event in Cranberry this past spring (6mm, 8mm in various egg-like colors and patterns). 

I spoke with both WCO's at the the show and each agreed that beads are not prohibited in PA. 

I also reviewed the regs and found no provisions that outlawed them.  (I reviewed the actual regulations and not the "plain language" summary of the regs found on the commission website.)

If used properly, I believe they are a legal and acceptable method.  I have only used them fishing for rainbow stockies this past spring and they worked great.  I agree that 1-2 inches above the hook is the proper distance.  My experience has been all clean hook-ups.  My guess is 4-6" above the hook may increase liklihood of a foul hook-up/snag. 

Looking forward to trying them for steelies in PA this Fall.  Just another arrow in the quiver.

I witnessed them in use on the Catt in NY and they were crushing them.
    Tracker12
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 174
    Re: TROUT BEADS 2013/09/27 10:02:12 (permalink)
    I am looking to pick up some gear to try this year.  Is it worth buying the stealhead pack from Trout Bead or should I just get a small selection of beads. 
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    Re: TROUT BEADS 2013/09/27 10:08:52 (permalink)
    Whether they are legal or not, that doesn't change that they are lame.
    newguy99
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: TROUT BEADS 2013/09/27 17:09:28 (permalink)
    Snagging is snagging is snagging!!!
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    Re: TROUT BEADS 2013/09/27 17:52:30 (permalink)
    oh for crying out loud...

the use if beads doesn't mean an angler is a snagger
    any "evolved" snagger (what i call those that line fish) can snag these fish with any fly

here's the deal,  duud, there's nothing magic about beads .
    They're like any other fly.
    they might be great on any given day or they might not be

..L.T.A.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5029
    Re: TROUT BEADS 2013/09/27 18:06:41 (permalink)
    If the fishing sucks you can always make a purrty necklace....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2217
    Re: TROUT BEADS 2013/09/28 14:35:31 (permalink)
    Lame?  The heck with that!  Use any possible means of catching steelhead, provided it is legal.  Live bait, flies, beads, jigs, spoons at the lakefront, paahhher bait, whatever.  

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    steelhead1994
    Avid Angler
    Re: TROUT BEADS 2013/09/28 15:50:18 (permalink)
    +1^
    steelhead1994
    Avid Angler
    Re: TROUT BEADS 2013/09/28 16:31:45 (permalink)
    Lol +1 again
    NAsteelheader
    Novice Angler
    Re: TROUT BEADS 2013/09/28 22:31:04 (permalink)
    Yes. It is amazing what kind of people reply to these posts. I come on here to get a little help from the other sportsmen out there. Whats wrong with that?
     I'm sure all of you out there have gotten a little help from other fisherman. How many of you that come on here with your smart**** answers telling folks to get out ther and find out for yourself, I bet that you guys have never walked into a bait shop and asked the guy at the counter,what are they biting on and wher is the best place to fish?
    Funny how you guys that wont help others don't mind coming on here and reading other SPORTSMENS replies to get your free info. How many of you are suckered into buying the guys info at the bait shop just so that he can make a sell and you don't catch nothing on what you bought. LOL
     Anyway. THANK YOU to all of the real SPORTSMEN on here that do give honest and good advice. Its the good guys that make a good experience on the crowded days.
     HAVE FUN ON THE WATER

slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re: TROUT BEADS 2013/09/28 22:56:48 (permalink)
    NA, the guys on here will give you a hard time until they decide that you are for real and not just a troll. I had to deal with it too. It's all part of the hazing process. In all sincerity, Genie is a good dude. He's just messing with you. He actually likes latent homosexuals with small ****es. He also has a closet full of centerpin gear. He dresses up in disguise to fish with it though so none of his friends see him doing it. lol

It's like trollin' for eyes in the summer. You gotta weed through the junk sometimes before getting any real fish. Just ignore the jokes (or even better, give it back) and take the good info when you get it. Get a thick skin and don't lead with your chin. You'll be alright. Keep asking and keep smiling. After all, it's just words on a computer screen. :)

“If you're in trouble, or hurt or in need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.”
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    Re: TROUT BEADS 2013/09/29 00:04:33 (permalink)
    PEE-ESS..

you  know that "presentation, size and color"  i mentioned??
    It ain't always the same...sometimes they like big fooffy stuff, sometimes tiny, sometimes green, white, red or or orange , sometimes they like it fast, or slow or in between
    and sometimes, they're just finicky as 'ell period

moral of the story...get a bunch of different colors and sizes .
    Keep the hooks small and razor sharp and don't peg the bead more than a couple inches above  the hook.
    and if you see a fish slide out of the pack and take  your bead, set the hook ..if it hooks outside the lip, re;ease it, but  you can still tell  your friends you caught it fair and square .

..L.T.A.

Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    Re: TROUT BEADS 2013/09/29 07:33:33 (permalink)

ha, if you think they are silly on PA Cricks, you should see the goofs that fight to get below the turbine outflow at Burt dam. I see the same guys every year, really think that's the only place they ever fish. stand 30 feet below the outflow, cast directly up stream and let it drift directly back at them to their feet. Yeah, good thing you spent that zillion dollars on that fancy set up ya' got there genius. But like you said, whatever floats their boat.
    post edited by Admin - 2013/10/10 10:53:38
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    Re: TROUT BEADS 2013/09/29 08:03:14 (permalink)
    Stillhead

ha, if you think they are silly on PA Cricks, you should see the goofs that fight to get below the turbine outflow at Burt dam. I see the same guys every year, really think that's the only place they ever fish. stand 30 feet below the outflow, cast directly up stream and let it drift directly back at them to their feet. Yeah, good thing you spent that zillion dollars on that fancy set up ya' got there genius. But like you said, whatever floats their boat.

I have a theory, Wilma.
    many of the pinhEds were former flyrod guys longing to catch fish like you or Tim with his minnows.
    But they're skerrt of being mocked by the flyrod snObs for using a spinning rod (which they'd really rather use)
    so they think if they spend a bazzilion bukz on a pin outfit, they'll be cOOl and not looked upon as just another  knuckle dragging spin fisherman .....

..L.T.A.
    workcanwait....
    Expert Angler
    Re: TROUT BEADS 2013/09/29 09:35:43 (permalink)
    Meet me on the crik and I will help you out if you want help no problem as long as you are respectful.
    But on here ask a question your getting limited or no info it has something to do with 1000 people reading this post.
    I am going to try to give answers in PM in future instead of being sarcastic.
    Not my intentions to upset anyone -I am still a work in progress.
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re: TROUT BEADS 2013/09/29 10:13:35 (permalink)
    Genie,

genieman77
    Pro Angler
    Re: TROUT BEADS 2013/09/29 10:27:35 (permalink)
    workcanwait....

Not my intentions to upset anyone

I haven't a clue how anything in your HELPFUL  posts in this thread could be seen as "upsetting" .
    Only a Nancyboy could find fault in them

i think the OP  got bummed over  D-Nymph calling beads "lame"
    I know D-Nymph, you got a watch him, cause he's a mEEn and viscous hombre .
    i heard he was busted in PetSmart trying to yank feathers out of  live parakeets

..L.T.A.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5029
    Re: TROUT BEADS 2013/09/29 10:49:51 (permalink)
    I think it was Parrots and he was acting a little squirrely around the rabbits with a pair of shears...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

NAsteelheader
    Novice Angler
    Re: TROUT BEADS 2013/09/29 10:49:59 (permalink)
    Thanks guys.
    By the way, I am a fly fisherman at heart. I did purchace a inexpensive centerpin outfit. Believe me, I will not be using it in crowded areas. I walk the stream and give it a wirl in the current areas where there are less fisherman. Believe me I will not be the pot calling the kettle black. Because I am one the the people that complain about guys fishing a spot along the stream and letting the pin drift for 50 yards at a time in the stream. I cant stand that. I'm sure its ok if there is nobody else in the same pool trying to fish. I was once trying to fish the spot above the legion hole where the rock wall is, There was a guy with a pin there fishing. He was letting his stuff go for what seemed to be miles. I went directly above him so that I could let my fly drift down in front of him. I was not interfering with his fishing at all. He started throwing a temper-tantrum. He was saying whats wrong with me moving in on him,when he say he only fishing this small pocket of water. meanwhile he taking up the whole stream.  These are the kind of guys that will give it a bad rep in a hurry. Also walnut  from the waterfall down is no place for this unless you are a very skilled and curtious fisherman. Its all up to you to be a real sportsman.
    THANKS again guys. Believe me, This has been very helpful.

NAsteelheader
    Novice Angler
    Re: TROUT BEADS 2013/09/29 20:47:08 (permalink)
    Has anybody used these on stocked trout? The fall stockings are happening in my area this week. A good place to practice.

D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    Re: TROUT BEADS 2013/09/30 10:30:20 (permalink)
    Some of you people probably have training wheels on your **** rockets.

beads.  LOL  Have fun snagging those stocker steelheads in the bathtub, snaggers.

Hi Genie! 
    post edited by D-nymph - 2013/09/30 10:33:25
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: