attack of the seagulls pymatuning

Author
allhookedup
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 38
  • Reward points: 0
2013/09/11 18:43:17 (permalink)

attack of the seagulls pymatuning

if anyone has a boat docked at the espyville marina you should contact the state and ask what they are doing to get rid of the gulls that are crapping all over everyones investments it is a shame to pay money to dock there and risk diseases when trying to uncover your boat.conditions are very bad I am  serious just take a drive down and look don't blame the people who rent the boats they no longer control the rental docks its a shame i will think about trailer my boat next year

18 Replies Related Threads

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    Re: attack of the seagulls pymatuning 2013/09/11 23:11:13 (permalink)
    Even worse. They let the fish crap & pizz all through the lake. I won't swim in that cesspool.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    WALLEYE18
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 84
    Re: attack of the seagulls pymatuning 2013/09/13 17:19:08 (permalink)
    I agree with ALLHOOKEDUP.
    When will the State clean it up or the folks who run the livery.Better than the livery go to the Spillway !What a sickening place to be DIRTIEST PLACE
    from all the gulls crap.I can only imagine the disease there.How can a family enjoy taking the family of children there.
    I do not recall these same problems being this bad untill the spillway was redone,along with the marina being moved from one side to the other.Remember the little building? Hey Pennsylvania step up.

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: attack of the seagulls pymatuning 2013/09/13 17:31:57 (permalink)
    Gulls are a federally protected species - probably very little to absolutely nothing PA can do about them other than clean up after them, or prohibit feeding to congregate them. 
    Fish5000
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 694
    Re: attack of the seagulls pymatuning 2013/09/13 18:20:36 (permalink)
    Coldfront and Rsquared offered very good posts and points. I don't know how to legally combat the gulls, controlling their numbers or presence, but there is something extremely effective that I noticed on the Ohio beach at the Causeway for controlling the geese problem. If one were to look at the tops of the long defunct concession stand and I think in some corners of the eaves as well, relatively frequently I've heard the recorded sounds of geese coming from them. I don't know what is being said in the recording and apparently comprehended, but the live geese don't like what the recorded geese are saying as their numbers there are greatly diminished. Maybe one of you guys can ask the PAFBC or ideally the Game Commission the next time you're there. With my changing work schedule, I don't expect to be there for at least one month.
    Fish5000
    Expert Angler
    Re: attack of the seagulls pymatuning 2013/09/13 19:42:47 (permalink)
    The geese at Pyme, like in other areas, has increased dramatically over many years so much so that they have been considered to be a nuisance with all of their crap accumulating everywhere, including golf courses. I don't golf, but can understand how that would create tensions for the golfers and also for the families with young children that want to utilize the beaches. If I remember this correctly from many years ago, that was why a special season was declared for Canada Geese, to help control their numbers. I don't how many hunters participated in the special hunt, but it seems like there are more geese than ever and like many issues, there isn't one blanket answer. It's multi-factorial. To paraphrase Coldfront, I too prefer the "incessant squawking of the gulls as an early morning alarm clock over the noise of the inner city". Also as Cold has stated, Try as Man might, Nature will never be controlled completely and humans need to learn to compromise... . It reminds me of when I all to frequently hear there is an alligator problem in Florida and they need to be killed. There isn't an alligator problem, it's a people problem. Man has drained thousands of acres of canals and waterways, in essence destroying their homes that have existed for hundreds of years in order that we may create new waterways and build condos near the water. The 'gators are simply looking for a place to live, places where they were evicted from. There are many more examples of this, but I'll stop here as although still being tied to the original post, it could easily get lengthy and divert. Well stated Cold about humans needing to learn to compromise. I never considered your last statement as being directed towards anyone, but simply as you wrote , just a general statement. I hope that I wasn't coming across as attempting to control nature or being offensive in general. No worries.
    WALLEYE18
    Novice Angler
    Re: attack of the seagulls pymatuning 2013/09/13 21:43:35 (permalink)
    Coldfront, I do not have boat kept at the marina.I prefer not to leave it at any marina .
    I will not disagrre with you,just my opinion.Although I will disagree with the part of
    gulls always using rocks,and or guardrails. You are right though about them using those spots.Just think it has got worse than 40 years ago I have also crossed that Causeway
    a lot.MY OPINION.

WALLEYE18
    Novice Angler
    Re: attack of the seagulls pymatuning 2013/09/13 21:57:21 (permalink)
    Yes the Gulls are a protected species.But Can be shot from what I understand.If all other means have been tried to rid themSuch as trapping,Fish 5000 is correct about his comment
    the Ohio beach does use a sound of some type to rid the gulls.There are several other methods also out there.As far as shooting them a permit needs to be applied for
    from the United States Fish and Wildlife Agency.
    We are all right there is no clear answer.
    WALLEYE18
    Novice Angler
    Re: attack of the seagulls pymatuning 2013/09/13 22:18:42 (permalink)
    The building must stop along the lake,that is so true.

crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3479
    Re: attack of the seagulls pymatuning 2013/09/13 23:06:51 (permalink)
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3479
    Re: attack of the seagulls pymatuning 2013/09/13 23:21:08 (permalink)
      Ok,

That might ov been an little harsh....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABc1-6o9cF0

crappy

frost
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 437
    Re: attack of the seagulls pymatuning 2013/09/14 20:06:15 (permalink)
    The seagulls I don't see any solution. The geese, the PGC needs to just open the lake and surrounding area to the 8 bird limit the rest of the state. The 3 bird on the lake limit and 1 bird limit outside of 100 yds of the lake is ridiculous especially during the September season that is used as a local bird control method. Everybody complains about the goose droppings everywhere yet they won't allow the hunters to help control the numbers. I know I live 30 seconds from the lake but will drive 30 minutes to hunt an 8 bird area. That same holds true with people outside the Pymatuning zone that won't drive to hunt in it.

I know this isn't on topic with the seagulls, but like I first said I don't see any solution to that other than them starting to allow hunting them, which is not going to happen.

The worst day hunting or fishing will always be better then the best day at school or work!
    Fish5000
    Expert Angler
    Re: attack of the seagulls pymatuning 2013/09/17 19:55:19 (permalink)
    As you wrote Coldfront, there are many problems [and unfortunately few solutions]. Loved your logic re: the gulls, sterility drugs and carp. LMAO! Walleye18, I'm glad you noticed and wrote about the recordings. Since nobody else did, I was beginning to wonder if anybody else was aware of them. Interesting post by Frost. I don't understand why the PGC would initiate a 3 bag limit unless at one time they believed there wouldn't be enough geese to go around for all of the hunters.. Funny photo Topdog! Reminded me of the gulls in the movie [Finding Nemo]. I'm not sure why, but that seemed to fit their character well when the gulls would say "Mine,mine". I love that part.
    fishin coyote
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1706
    Re: attack of the seagulls pymatuning 2013/09/18 10:09:31 (permalink)
    The reason for the 3/1 bird limit as told to me by the Pymy WMA biologist. When they originally had the early season you where allowed 5 birds in the surrounding area except the small area west of rt6. After the 1st couple of seasons of this the number of opportunities and kills in the WMA went down.
    He told me that although biologically they were fine with the number of birds killed in the early season some big wigs were hunting on the WMA and didn't like it. So they were forced to not only restrict the kill but also enlarge the area of protected/limited opportunity under the guise of the St James Bay flock.
    Mike

Nothing is Free!!
    Reward equals Effort

frost
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 437
    Re: attack of the seagulls pymatuning 2013/09/20 08:27:59 (permalink)
    I can understand the lower limits to "protect" the southern James bay population during regular season, but the purpose of early season is to control the resident pop. When you have park/GC shooting birds with 22s during the summer and oiling the eggs in the spring because the resident pops too high, RAISE THE DARN EARLY SEASON LIMIT AND OPEN THE SURROUNDING AREA!...

Geese fly, it's not like they fly couple hundred yards or even 1 mile, they will fly many miles for food. I hunt in the 8 bird zone and the birds are flying from the 3/1 bird zone to my field. I also hunt a field in the 3/1 zone that the birds are flying out of the 8 bird zone to get to. It just makes no sense to me, but then again what does the pgc do that usually makes sense?

The worst day hunting or fishing will always be better then the best day at school or work!
    Fish5000
    Expert Angler
    Re: attack of the seagulls pymatuning 2013/09/20 21:56:52 (permalink)
    Thanks Coldfront and Fishin Coyote for your responses as to the reason for a 3 bird limit. It seems to me there are a lot more geese than there used to be. It seems as if they went through a population explosion. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for replies!
    fishin coyote
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1706
    Re: attack of the seagulls pymatuning 2013/09/21 08:04:08 (permalink)
    fish5000,
    IMHO the reason for the CG pop. explosion can be described in 2 words.
    Human development.
    As urban/suburban areas continue to develop it creates a perfect habit (ponds,manicured lawns, golf courses, etc.) with a lack of predators to prey on nests or young geese.
    Mike

Nothing is Free!!
    Reward equals Effort

Fish5000
    Expert Angler
    Re: attack of the seagulls pymatuning 2013/09/21 20:26:47 (permalink)
      You're quite right Cold. Turkeys are common in the suburbs as well as deer, common enough that both are considered by some to be nuisance species. I've always thought it funny how some people in the suburbs are anti - hunting until deer started to eat their treasured young trees and shrubs. After that, they welcomed hunters taking deer. I remember when one went to the northern tier counties to hunt for both. Fox also have become common although not many see them as they are so secretive. It is a shame about the pheasants. I had thoughts at one time of getting eggs , incubating and releasing them. A noble effort, but where would they go? There's a good reason why their numbers have dwindled dramatically. Same with box turtles. I remember seeing a lot more when I was younger.
     Thanks also Fishin Coyote for your input. That makes a lot of sense about the CG. Like other species, they too have become considered to be nuisance species.
    post edited by fish5000 - 2013/09/21 20:41:06
    Timachro
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1339
    Re: attack of the seagulls pymatuning 2013/09/22 09:07:34 (permalink)
    Just like Alaska, (don't feed the bears) DON"T FEED THE D**N SEAGULLS!
    Jump to: