Author
captronk
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points: 0
2013/09/02 08:40:39 (permalink)

Bay fishing

Hello,

I only get to fish Erie every couple or few years and I'm due to go in October. I was definetly going to hit the creeks for steelhead in the morning and I was going to explore the bay in the afternoon. I like to catch bluegill on light tackle, could anyone be so kind to give me a little information on where would be likely places to find them? I heard the head of the bay is good?

Sincerly,

Never trust a thought that didn't come by walking. -Friedrich Nietzsche

6 Replies Related Threads

BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2153
    Re:Bay fishing 2013/09/02 09:40:16 (permalink)
    Sometimes you can get into pockets of gills in the lagoons, misery bay, and marina bay.

BH
    captronk
    New Angler
    Re:Bay fishing 2013/09/02 10:56:55 (permalink)
    thanks,

I'll work that into my plan.

ron

ChromeBandit412
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 137
    Re:Bay fishing 2013/09/02 12:51:19 (permalink)
    Forget about the bluegill. Id rather catch 1 steelhead than 100 bluegill. Get yourself over a hungry pod of fresh chrome on the tribs. You wont regret it, nothing beats it. Drift skein and nightcrawlers n minnows. Try 20, 16, 12 mile and walnut. October is prime time. Sometimes it takes half a day of driving around to find a good spot with lots of steelhead and not a ton of other fishermen already fishing them. Streams and bay in one day is alot to try and do
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1811
    Re:Bay fishing 2013/09/02 14:15:22 (permalink)
    October can be good, just watch the water levels and read the reports. Panfish can usually be caught this time of year too as the cold comes and the "time to fatten up" switch gets thrown. So if you come up for steel and the water, weather, or whatever isn't so good for steel you can probably do well on the gills. It's a pretty time to be up here too.

captronk
    New Angler
    Re:Bay fishing 2013/09/02 17:48:43 (permalink)
    I was gonna ask also, I got all kinds of egg patterns, wooley buggers and mini-foo jigs. Spinners and spoons also, how much does color play in all this and what should I start with,? for steel anyway.

Thanks to all, public and private.

Ron

deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    Re:Bay fishing 2013/09/02 21:15:10 (permalink)
    You can try all of those for steelhead. All of them will work you just have to figure out which one is working on that day. It will vary with water clarity and flow and how the water temps are. In Cold , clear , low water it might be more beneficial to use smaller offerings and as light a tackle as you can go. In High , stained , faster water you can get away with larger offerings and heavier tackle. Just keep switching up things until you find out what they want that day.

Youve heard the saying " you shoulda been here yesterday" well its tru. That happens , Ive been on both ends of that statement.

Figure it out or observe others around you or ask questions. Youll do fine.

Enjoy the season , I will !!!

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    Jump to: