Walleye in the Bay

Author
track2514
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 964
  • Reward points: 0
2013/08/18 13:44:53 (permalink)

Walleye in the Bay

So I am relatively new to fishing for walleye in Erie, but I have gone out on the lake a few times this season and previously to fish for walleye. However, this past week a buddy and I decided to fish the bay for bass and we each ended up catching a good number of smallies and largemouths, but we also caught two walleye (one each). This got me thinking about how many of you target walleye in the bay and when is the best time/what baits are the best? We were using artificial worms fishing the weedlines from the Ferncliff area to about the Cherry St. launch when we caught the walleye. In many years of fishing the bay I have only caught a few other walleyes in the bay so I am just wondering if this is a fluke or if it is possible/worthwhile to fish for walleye in the bay.

"The things you own end up owning you."
~~Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

3 Replies Related Threads

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re:Walleye in the Bay 2013/08/18 15:52:45 (permalink)
    Fluke.................fished the Bay for years in the past Walleye were usually rare catches during Spring and Summer but I never fished at dark because the Isle Park side closed at sunset. Temps seem to warm for Walleye in the bay during Summer months.
    track2514
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 964
    Re:Walleye in the Bay 2013/08/18 16:12:20 (permalink)
    Fluke is kind of what I was thinking also and we caught the walleye right around 2:00 P.M. so it was definitely not night time. Also, I was thinking the temps may be too warm, but then I was thinking that Pymatuning holds a good number of walleye and is not much deeper or cooler than Presque Isle bay.

"The things you own end up owning you."
    ~~Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 827
    Re:Walleye in the Bay 2013/08/18 17:53:37 (permalink)
    Last week I read about a cold water shark caught in the gulf of mexico, and I remember fishing with 3 friends for perch the 3rd week of may at the north pier and within an hour 2 of us caught burbot's the water temp was in the high 50's go figure
    Jump to: