funniest thing you have witnessed while fishing erie tribs

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
redman12069
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 21
  • Reward points: 0
Re:funniest thing you have witnessed while fishing erie tribs 2013/08/14 19:51:05 (permalink)
Moses, how long ago was the guy that fell in at Manchester? My father took a nose dive from the east side about twenty years ago. Water was high and he stepped over one of the tree's roots and went in head first !! Once I stopped laughing I was able to cast and get his hat before it got to the bridge. Funny and a little scary at the same time.
Moses Guthrie
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 220
Re:funniest thing you have witnessed while fishing erie tribs 2013/08/14 20:12:58 (permalink)
it was about twenty years ago on the east side of the hole in the morning, water was up a bit.
ChromeBandit412
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 137
Re:funniest thing you have witnessed while fishing erie tribs 2013/08/14 20:23:41 (permalink)
I made 3 trips my first year fishing for steelies and got skunked each time. My first trip of year 2 i had done my homework and was eager for my first ever chrome. September 12th me and my cousin end up casting spoons into the lake at the mouth of walnut. After about 2 hundred casts or so i hooked up with a heavy fresh chrome. He put on quite a show for me jumping clear out of the water twice and striping off line. After a good fight my cousin netted him for me. We walked down off the pier to and were getting ready to put him on a stringer. Being that it was september and warm out my cousin wanted to revive the fish so it would stay fresh longer. Well as he was reviving the fish it flopped hard and got out of his grips. He dove after it but it the chrome was long gone. It blew my mind. There goes my first steelie that i drove hundreds of miles for, spent hundreds of $ chasing, and countless of hours reading up on. My cousin was more ****ed than i was at the time and i can look back and laugh now. If it wasnt a challenge i wouldnt love it so much and i caught at least a dozen on my next 4 trips that year.
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
Re:funniest thing you have witnessed while fishing erie tribs 2013/08/14 20:44:47 (permalink)
"3. Guy fishing egg sacks long log in Elk at waterfall hole. He snagged on the tree. He then proceeded to walk into the deepest part of the hole, reach down and pull out the egg sack, walk back to his spot and cast right back into the hole."

I've stepped into a hole to retrieve a fly, and caught fish on the next cast.

They are not the most elusive of creatures.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
redman12069
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 21
Re:funniest thing you have witnessed while fishing erie tribs 2013/08/14 20:55:35 (permalink)
That might have been him. All I remember is him doing some form of the breast stroke- trying to get his feet down!
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
Re:funniest thing you have witnessed while fishing erie tribs 2013/08/15 09:09:50 (permalink)
ChromeBandit412

I made 3 trips my first year fishing for steelies and got skunked each time. My first trip of year 2 i had done my homework and was eager for my first ever chrome. September 12th me and my cousin end up casting spoons into the lake at the mouth of walnut. After about 2 hundred casts or so i hooked up with a heavy fresh chrome. He put on quite a show for me jumping clear out of the water twice and striping off line. After a good fight my cousin netted him for me. We walked down off the pier to and were getting ready to put him on a stringer. Being that it was september and warm out my cousin wanted to revive the fish so it would stay fresh longer. Well as he was reviving the fish it flopped hard and got out of his grips. He dove after it but it the chrome was long gone. It blew my mind. There goes my first steelie that i drove hundreds of miles for, spent hundreds of $ chasing, and countless of hours reading up on. My cousin was more ****ed than i was at the time and i can look back and laugh now. If it wasnt a challenge i wouldnt love it so much and i caught at least a dozen on my next 4 trips that year.

Why would you revive a fish you're putting on a stringer?
ChromeBandit412
Avid Angler
Re:funniest thing you have witnessed while fishing erie tribs 2013/08/15 18:43:10 (permalink)
it was september, still hot out. our reasoning was the fish would stay fresh longer. shoulda strung er up first surely
Cold
Pro Angler
Re:funniest thing you have witnessed while fishing erie tribs 2013/08/15 20:58:37 (permalink)
ChromeBandit412

it was september, still hot out. our reasoning was the fish would stay fresh longer. shoulda strung er up first surely

Keeping it alive allows more lactic acid to build up in the fish, making it stronger tasting.  For fresher fish, cut the gills and bleed it out quickly.
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 729
Re:funniest thing you have witnessed while fishing erie tribs 2013/08/15 21:16:49 (permalink)
All you guys with the flea rods in high water......
   ..... just get a noodle and float a sac under a float already!

WCW
fishrmn
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 675
Re:funniest thing you have witnessed while fishing erie tribs 2013/08/16 14:35:52 (permalink)
Cold

ChromeBandit412

Keeping it alive allows more lactic acid to build up in the fish, making it stronger tasting.  For fresher fish, cut the gills and bleed it out quickly.

^ What he said...  Also, get that thing in a cooler full of ice asap.

ChromeBandit412
Avid Angler
Re:funniest thing you have witnessed while fishing erie tribs 2013/08/16 15:48:37 (permalink)
Thanks for the tip
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4913
Re:funniest thing you have witnessed while fishing erie tribs 2013/08/17 08:27:56 (permalink)
I had a decent morning fishing and headed to Teresa's Lakeshore Deli for some lunch.  Having secured a hot sausage sammy, I made the trip down to Walnut Access to sit on the bank, eat the hoagie, and enjoy the show.  It was not disappoinitng.

Two guys were fishing in the shallow section below the Stop Sign Hole and above the wall.  I bet the water wasn't six inches deep in most spots, but they must have cornered a couple of fish because they were pretty intense on what they were doing and not really paying attention to what was going on around them.

Suddenly the one guy rears back on his noodle rod like he was setting the hook into a giant travelle.  There was a huge commotion and splashing and hooting and hollering -- right before the duck that had snuck in and ate whatever he was using took to the air.

So here is this poor guy, stuck to a duck, with it flapping around and trying to fly away.  The drag is singing, the duck is quacking, and tears are running down my face.  It buzzed him a couple of times in the air, crashed to the water a few times, and got back into the air again.

If I weren't in danger of choking on the hoagie at that point, it darn near happened when -- and you can't make this stuff up folks -- the guy with him yells, yep, you guessed it -- "DUCK ON!"

Try as he might, the guy could not break the duck off -- no idea if it was a legal hook up or if it were, please excuse me -- fowl hooked.

So he tightens down the drag, pulls the duck into the water, and, yep, his buddy nets it.  They wrestle the duck into a position, after much flogging and quacking, where they are able to unhook it and release it.

And then they rebaited and went right back to fishing the same spot as if nothing ever happened.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
cbeagler
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1811
Re:funniest thing you have witnessed while fishing erie tribs 2013/08/17 11:38:06 (permalink)
^^^^ Coffee out the nose!  Fowl hooked.
slabdaddy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1780
Re:funniest thing you have witnessed while fishing erie tribs 2013/08/18 21:41:57 (permalink)
DarDys, you told that like a champ! Literally LOL'ed! Fantastic. You win.

“If you're in trouble, or hurt or in need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.”
John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re:funniest thing you have witnessed while fishing erie tribs 2013/08/19 10:29:35 (permalink)
Back in the 80"s Trout Run..... shoreline packed with late morning fishermen kind of slow fishing. All of a sudden this young kid about 10 yrs. old comes down the road on his bike and rides his bike into the mouth of the nursery waters and scatters about 200 Steelhead out of the creek back into the lake ! Guys start banging Steel all around the mouth instantly..................I've seen it all !
freshwaterdrumR
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 603
Re:funniest thing you have witnessed while fishing erie tribs 2013/08/19 11:34:03 (permalink)
One time back in the early 2000's I was fishing the wall at walnut overnight.  There were 3 guys next to me who had a little fire going to keep warm, one of them decided to take a nap next to it....
Next thing you know there is a guy whose jacket is on fire running in circles panicking as his drunken buddies swing their beers back and forth yelling stop drop and roll. I was on the ground laughing!

..but the funniest thing I have witnessed on the tribs is some of the fishermen that take themselves way to seriously...

wayneo73
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 77
Re:funniest thing you have witnessed while fishing erie tribs 2013/08/19 11:52:47 (permalink)
so i just get finished cleaning off my cpu screen from the duck story and i have to clean it all over again after the man on fire story!

thanks for the laughs
drawde
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 67
Re:funniest thing you have witnessed while fishing erie tribs 2013/08/19 12:38:13 (permalink)
I was fishing at Trout Run and it got crowded at the mouth so I moved East by the pier.  I was crushing the steel with fresh roe only feet from shore.  I had a steelie break me off and as I was replacing my hook three fishermen actually asked if they could fish near me.  I said of course you may but stay out of the water as the fish near shore are not on a stringer.  I turned around after rigging up and all three were 15 ft from shore and had scattered the fish.  
Cold
Pro Angler
Re:funniest thing you have witnessed while fishing erie tribs 2013/08/19 13:24:38 (permalink)
drawde

I was fishing at Trout Run and it got crowded at the mouth so I moved East by the pier.  I was crushing the steel with fresh roe only feet from shore.  I had a steelie break me off and as I was replacing my hook three fishermen actually asked if they could fish near me.  I said of course you may but stay out of the water as the fish near shore are not on a stringer.  I turned around after rigging up and all three were 15 ft from shore and had scattered the fish.  

This describes the type of people I've met more than any other in Erie.  Typically well-meaning, but completely clueless people that just seem to be incapable of understanding what you're saying to them.

I've lost count of the people who've approached from the opposite bank while I'm fishing a shallow run, asking if they could cross.  I usually say yes, but show them where I'm fishing and ask if they could come across well downstream of the spot.  Over 80% of the time, they say thanks and tramp right through where the fish are holding.  Then when you pack up to leave, they usually say, "Oh no!  You can keep fishing!  We're headed upstream!"

They just seriously have no idea.

The only approach to these types of people that has worked for me is just shaking my head, and accepting it as part of the rat race up there.
slabdaddy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1780
Re:funniest thing you have witnessed while fishing erie tribs 2013/08/19 14:48:43 (permalink)
I waited one time for this fly fisherman to make a cast so that I could walk behind him. He made 3 or 4 casts that he didn't like then finally he cast out and began a drift. I took this as a good time to walk behind him. As soon as I got behind him, he yanked his line out of the water to make another cast and whacked me right across the face. If I hadn't been wearing shades, his rod tip would have poked my eye out. It left a big, angry welt across my face. I was white-hot mad. He looked scared to death and kept apologizing. It was an older Asian dude. I finally just walked away from him. He packed up and left. I then proceeded to hammR em duud.
I didn't think it was funny, but I bet the other people at the stream did. LOL

Probably the funniest thing that I have ever seen was two or three years ago at Elk. My best friend and I were fishing in Feb or March. There was hardly anyone at the stream. We had a big pod of fish in front of us and we were having a blast. This dude comes down the bank and sees all of the fish and just gets stupid. He was so excited that he could barely bait his hook. He charged into the stream like a labrador after a duck. Of course the fish scattered. I told him, "The fish are kinda spooky. You got to be quiet." He just looked at me like I was retarded. Well, my buddy was between me and the new guy. My buddy started catching fish again but the new guy couldn't hook up. Instead, he started inching closer and closer to my buddy. There were fish strung out for 30yds, but he felt that my buddy's spot was better because he was catching fish. LOL. Anyway, the new guy got about three feet away from my friend and my buddy looked over at him and started coughing. I said, "Hey man. You ok? I knew I shouldn't have brought you up here." He looked at me and said, "I only have 6 months to live anyway. Dam tuberculosis is killing me. Might as well be while I'm fishing." The new guy jumped out of the water just as quickly as he jumped in.

“If you're in trouble, or hurt or in need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.”
John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath
SteelieWheelie
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 991
Re:funniest thing you have witnessed while fishing erie tribs 2013/08/19 17:32:31 (permalink)
Watched a guy walk into the woods to go #2.  He came back about 10 minutes later and boyyyyy he smelled horribleeeeee!!  He kept asking what the smell was....This bright fella dropped a deuce in his wadders!!! Had me rollin!!!!!

Early to bed
Early to rise
Fish like hell
And make up lies!
fishingood
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 95
Re:funniest thing you have witnessed while fishing erie tribs 2013/08/20 13:53:06 (permalink)
It happened to be the first steelhead I ever hooked:

I was about 6 or 7 years old, fishing Erie for the first time, right above the mouth of 16 mile, with my dad, and my mom walking the dog around the beach area there, videotaping our fishing and the lake. Sure enough, after hours of drifting some skein, I hook a steelhead, and everyone around is cheering me on, although it takes me awhile to tire it out, because I was young, weak, and only using 4 lb line. I'm bringing the fish up to the bank, when it gets one last burst of energy, and makes one last run upstream. Sure enough, in spite of the fact that everyone else had gotten out of the water, and reeled their lines in, there was one fat slob who didn't have a clue, still wading and fishing as if nothing was happening, he was slowly inching towards me, not even looking, when he stepped on my line, breaking my fish off. My mom absolutely explodes into rage at the guy who stepped on my line,  throwing every single cuss word in the book at him about "how dare you break off my baby's fish?"

Fortunately, the video camera was rolling the entire time, and the whole moment is on film, entire rant and all. Now, fast forward 17 or so years, I'm 25 now, and make several Erie steelhead trips each year, my personal bests are a 9 lb brown trout and a 14 lb steelhead. Every so often, however, I have to put that tape in and laugh about it, eventhough it wasn't funny at the time.
mohawksyd
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 854
Re:funniest thing you have witnessed while fishing erie tribs 2013/08/20 21:30:51 (permalink)
I saw it rain potatoes last year.  True story.

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

Steel Junkie
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 297
Re:funniest thing you have witnessed while fishing erie tribs 2013/08/21 07:49:37 (permalink)
These stories make for a great laugh, but I can't even begin to tell my stories, I'm not sure how you guys were able to narrow it down enough to pick the best one!
cbeagler
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1811
Re:funniest thing you have witnessed while fishing erie tribs 2013/08/26 00:13:27 (permalink)
OK. I had to think about it--some 35 years on the creek has given me a lot of laughs. But I think the best one is where I was laughed at. I was 13 years old and my friend Dave and I were at Buttermilk Falls fishing,. Now we would start up at the hatchery and walk down to the creek along the falls stream. This was back when it was all pasture and Thomas Road was known as Axe Murder Hollow (got some stories about that too...). Well As you get close to the falls the bank to the stream above it gets real steep. Dave had walked just about to the lip of the falls and I was still walking down the bank when my feet gave out and I started sliding on my butt down the embankment. Now there was this tree about as big around as a bowling pin in my way and my feet were spread pretty far apart as I was sliding.  Let's just say that it took me a while to get off that tree, longer for Dave to stop laughing and even longer for me to return to low tenor in the teen choir.

To this day all Dave has to say is "The tree."  And that sets us off.
suckerspawn4everything
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:funniest thing you have witnessed while fishing erie tribs 2013/08/26 01:56:11 (permalink)
Ok I have seen many funny things happen in Erie, Some of my own doing but here are a few
1)  Man sitting beside me looks at me and says hey man dont eat power bait it sucks as he starts to puke and then heads to the hospital
2)  Russian night snagging the stop sign hole and hooks one of his fellow snaggers in the ear Priceless
3)  Chinese guy fishing over a big bikers gf as she has her first chrome ever on needless to say chino went swimming.
4) Me arguing with my buddy that his line is on mine as my rod goes flying and I have to go get it.
5) West Virginia crew thinking a 17 inch Jack is a massive steelie.
6)  THen the one that ****es me off all the guys with the yellow rope keep chrome that you can tell by looking at them are not legal and strutting around like they got a state record.
7) Last but not least the guy trying to convince the warden in Manchester that he was in New York and Snagging was legal.
deetz4352
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3549
Re:funniest thing you have witnessed while fishing erie tribs 2013/08/26 12:46:26 (permalink)
Ill add one that was not only funny but disturbing at the same time.

Back in the day when I used to combat fish in the manchester hole at walnut I witnessed this old timer trying to get just a few more feet onto the end of his cast. He just needed that extra shot or two to cast out where he really wanted to be. Instead he inched his way closer and closer to the edge of the ledge. For those of you who have fished it , you know what I mean.
Welp , you guessed it he took that one more step and into the hole he went ,only wearing hip waders and light clothes ,right off the ledge up to his chest. Mind you its now late november and the water is a bit cold now. I put my pole down and helped him back up , asked him if he was ok , he said Yes. and he continued to fish. I thought Dam this ole' timer is die hard.
It wasnt but 15 minutes later and he stepped off the ledge again. and again I went to his rescue. I asked once more. Are you ok ? he said Im fine I just cant cast where I want. I told him how to get the cast he wanted but you cant fix stubborn so , You guessed it , a little while later he went in for the 3rd time. I helped for the 3rd time and said lemme help you to your car. I think youve had enough. He finally agreed and off he went shivering as he went. Cant believe he fell in 3 times yet refused to give up.

The Deetz
Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
World Famous
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2213
Re:funniest thing you have witnessed while fishing erie tribs 2013/08/26 15:05:34 (permalink)
The funniest thing I ever saw on the Erie tribs is me attempting to catch a steelhead.......WF...I have just missed the run for about 20 years now.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5029
Re:funniest thing you have witnessed while fishing erie tribs 2013/08/26 15:19:34 (permalink)
I have seen that and it is funny as he11......

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Fish5000
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 694
Re:funniest thing you have witnessed while fishing erie tribs 2013/08/29 19:33:08 (permalink)
Cold

Saw two fruits at follys wearing womens underwear over top their waders.

Somethin in the water, I guess...

That's funny! What I don't understand is why anyone would set themselves up for some, maybe a lot of possible "ribbing" or perhaps worst, vicious harassment. Or maybe it was just regular guys doing it as a joke. Who Knows? It's still funny and probably many "double takes" occurred.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: