Tiller motor steering

Author
Steel Junkie
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 297
  • Reward points: 0
2013/07/22 12:52:23 (permalink)

Tiller motor steering

Our 90 horse will only troll around 1.9+. Like to get that down some, we have a 20 horse tiller just for the sake of safety, if we start the tiller and set the throttle can we steer with the 90? Kind of like a rudder? Thanks guys

5 Replies Related Threads

Snag_826
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 411
    Re:Tiller motor steering 2013/07/22 13:04:37 (permalink)
    I don't see why no...just be sure your motors are spaced out enough. probably wont be the most sensitive steering or anything but might work.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9829
    Re:Tiller motor steering 2013/07/22 13:36:55 (permalink)
    I do this with my electric motor on front, pointing straight, and my gas motor on back as tiller.  I don't use my boat in Erie, but works ok on inland lakes.  It won't steer as true as your 90, but should rudder it a bit.  It doesn't work very well in a stiff breeze though.  I wouldn't use if going more than 1-2 mph (like using your 20 as your drive on a restricted lake), or if you are fishing with a bunch of company on the big lake or trying to stay on an exact structure and need precise control.

A better option is using an auxiliary motor connector rod.  I have a 15 tied into my 50 with one, so I can use the 50 control wheel for my 15.  I bought one from Cabela's, for $30 about 6 years ago, and still works fine.  Make sure to disconnect from your main motor when using the big one at high end speeds.  I use mine on my 15 at full throttle with no issues.  Granted, that is 10 mph without company and 7 mph fully loaded...  Hard left hand turns are a bit rough at slow speeds, since the auxilary motor is not mounted in the center of the boat, but most control is pretty accurate.
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    Re:Tiller motor steering 2013/07/22 14:31:42 (permalink)
    Get the tie bar, on a windy lake Erie trolling slow there are times that you will be turning lock to lock just to keep it straight. While you may be able to affect direction with what you're talking about you won't be steering. Keeping a constant speed will be your next issue, I fought that tiller throttle control for a long time till I bought the electronic speed control. That was one of the best boat investments that I've made.... Good luck which ever way you go...

Curiosity killed the cat, but for awhile I was a suspect.
    Lovgren69
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 245
    Re:Tiller motor steering 2013/07/22 14:53:36 (permalink)
    Here's my old boat set-up with a tie-bar mounted to the front of both motors. 

As mentioned here before, you can buy the kit for around $50 bucks.

You might need to fabricate a bracket to make the unit line up properly to both motors.  I lucked out on my last boat since both motors lined up pretty evenly and I was able to run just the straight rod. 

Sometimes you might be faced with putting a bend in the rod to get the rod to line up.
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    Re:Tiller motor steering 2013/07/22 16:12:56 (permalink)
    pick up an E-Z STEER kit.  the brackets mount on both motors and the rod stays on permanately, even when raising one or both motors or what ever speed you're running.  you have to go on their site and match it up to the types of motors you have. love mine.
    Jump to: