Warren area canoe trip tips

Author
marliezx7
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 92
  • Reward points: 0
2013/07/04 10:44:29 (permalink)

Warren area canoe trip tips

Going on a 3 day canoe trip below kinzu on the Allegheny with a nice group. Staying at buckaloons campground. Any tips or advice for the trip??? Whats fish can i get into, and what bait/lures to use? Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!

8 Replies Related Threads

marliezx7
    Novice Angler
    Re:Warren area canoe trip tips 2013/07/04 10:47:05 (permalink)
    FYI, i'm taking a 16ft canoe. So there will be canoes and kayaks in our group.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    Re:Warren area canoe trip tips 2013/07/04 15:10:15 (permalink)
    Walleye, rainbows, browns, bass, musky probably in that order. Floating Rapala's and CP Swing covers the basics for all of them. Shiners, horn dace, black suckers for live bait. All the fast water and tail outs hold fair numbers of trout. It makes for a nice float and the water level is decent.
    dakota kid
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 235
    Re:Warren area canoe trip tips 2013/07/06 13:42:52 (permalink)
    I'll be making the same trip at the end of the month. This will be my second year doing so. If you are free camping on the islands down the river, I have a few suggestions. Unfortunately, none to do with fishing. All I caught were a few smallies, but we didn't spend much time fishing. We had a lot of river to travel in too short of a time. This year we're only covering half the distance.

My biggest advice is don't over pack. The kayak guys will expect the canoe guys to carry some of their stuff. Those canoes fill up quick. DO NOT use an aluminum canoe unless it's rented, and watch for boulders.  Get a good water filter and collapsible water containers and bring nothing but dehydrated food. I would bring hard liquor instead of beer to conserve space. There are places on the river with big signs that say "BEER & ICE" and an arrow pointing up the hill, if you just can't go without.  Another good tip is to use  hammocks instead of  tents. Those islands are covered in snails and slugs and they are not very flat. We were able to have an island all to ourselves because it was not fit for tent camping. One last thing, those cheap dollar store squirt cannons that work like big syringes are perfect for bailing water out of your boats. Plus you can blast your buddies and random drunk bikini girls. 
    Have fun, it's a good time for sure. I just wanted to keep going after the trip was done. Can't wait for this year.
    marliezx7
    Novice Angler
    Re:Warren area canoe trip tips 2013/07/09 07:19:00 (permalink)
    Thank you guys much!
    KingKool
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 234
    Re:Warren area canoe trip tips 2013/07/09 21:43:50 (permalink)
    get some dry bags - best investment a canoeist can make...........

4 out of 3 people don't understand fractions.
    snydje
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 71
    Re:Warren area canoe trip tips 2013/07/10 10:45:39 (permalink)
    A large Tupperware container with a good fitting lid makes it easy to access items, (binoculars, camera, etc) while in the boat but still keep items dry from paddle drip. A couple of 5 gallon buckets with tight fitting lids will keep essentials dry just in case. Add a light weight 4 foot 1 X 10 plank and they can double as a table.

Just a reminder that your canoes must be registered to use the Buckaloons launch.
    marliezx7
    Novice Angler
    Re:Warren area canoe trip tips 2013/07/11 03:22:47 (permalink)
    KK, yes I have a couple of the dry bags from my Clarion river trip 2 years ago. Snyd, thanks, thats a great idea! I only have the yellow launch permit, is that ok? I hope so because I can't register my new/used canoe right now in time for this weekend. (Didnt get a bill of sale....but I will get it next week.)
    snydje
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 71
    Re:Warren area canoe trip tips 2013/07/14 22:53:46 (permalink)
    (Use) / Launch permits are okay.

Frozen water bottles keep items cold in the cooler and can be drank/drunk when thawed out.

Firewood can be scarce on the islands, however, there is usually plenty on the shore lines.

Smallies can usually be found in the faster water below big pools. As S-10 said Rapalas work well along with tubes and small spinner baits (beetle spins) with white 2 or 3 inch twister tails.
    Jump to: