Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
fun to fish
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points: 0
2013/06/17 09:03:20 (permalink)

Disappointed!

Is it me? I live along I79 corridor. I usually fish Cross Creek, Arthur, Wilhelm & Pymie. Other then Pymie fishing really sucks in the lakes  I mentioned. Anybody out there with the same opinion? I guess I need to start fishing the 3 rivers!

33 Replies Related Threads

B.A.
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 34
    Re:Disappointed! 2013/06/17 10:41:00 (permalink)
    I haven't fished Cross Creek, but I absolutely love fishing Arthur and Wilhelm as well as Pymie. It wasn't always so though. Each of those lakes is entirely different from each other and all are fished differently as well. Every time I partnered with someone whether it was in a club, regional, or whatever kind of bass tourney it was, my goal was to learn SOMETHING NEW. Sometimes it was HOW to do something and sometimes it was HOW NOT TO DO something. There is always something new to learn, and the same applies to each and every body of water. Be patient and learn each lake little by little. It WILL HAPPEN for you. Good luck !!!!!

fun to fish
    New Angler
    Re:Disappointed! 2013/06/17 14:45:29 (permalink)
    Your Stupid!

rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2146
    Re:Disappointed! 2013/06/17 17:46:32 (permalink)
    It's you're not your. Hope dis helpis

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    ridgehunter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 627
    Re:Disappointed! 2013/06/17 17:57:35 (permalink)
    Nothing wrong with fishing the 3 rivers.

Any day out fishing........is a good day.
    acmaul13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1193
    Re:Disappointed! 2013/06/17 19:37:09 (permalink)
    you are or you're stupid! would be a little more correct and before you ask,yes I belong to the grammar pOLicE
    fun to fish
    Your Stupid!

post edited by acmaul13 - 2013/06/17 19:42:52
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8540
    Re:Disappointed! 2013/06/18 08:26:23 (permalink)
    stupid is as stupid does

went yesterday and landed 5 bass and few small crappie in the land of speed boats...fishing was good and so was the catching

fun to fish
    New Angler
    Re:Disappointed! 2013/06/19 07:58:54 (permalink)
    Prehaps you can give me a few tips!
    post edited by fun to fish - 2013/06/19 08:01:00
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    Re:Disappointed! 2013/06/19 08:03:42 (permalink)
    Hit the points and drop offs. Throw rapala shad raps.

phishfearme
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 232
    Re:Disappointed! 2013/06/19 19:37:46 (permalink)
    fun 2 fish - i agree with you - but, it's also PA with millions of people around chasing a limited resource - so what can you expect.

my historically favorite lake - keystone - is now the dead sea.  many claim it's due to the straw hats keeping everything they catch to make fish patties - i don't know but it's not worth fishing it anymore - the food base for sport fish has been devastated.

i actually do not know of a lake i would go to in western PA to chase game fish - you're either fighting crowds (pymy and many others), fighting huge boats/motors (loyalhanna, crooked creek, the rivers and many others) or just catching puny bluegills.

we leave for northern ontario next week for our annual "catching" trip (walleye and pike) and we're considering doing two of these - the second replacing any western PA fishing which has become a waste of time.

phish
    post edited by phishfearme - 2013/06/19 19:39:02
    phishfearme
    Avid Angler
    Re:Disappointed! 2013/06/19 21:10:07 (permalink)
    good suggestion - i just find it hard to drive over 3 hours one way to wade the shore and hope.  i've done some shore fishing - especially along the allegheny near lock 3 and found it to be a waste of time.  have walked many miles in waders chasing trout - only good for about 6 weeks in late april thru may.

i still think i'd rather spend some time elsewhere - montana for trout and northern ontario for walleye and pike.  remember the NUMBER 1 rule of successful fishing - go where the fish are.

phish
    Bdugg
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 95
    Re:Disappointed! 2013/06/19 21:52:47 (permalink)
    F to F
    I agree, arthur and wilhelm have a large amount of bait fish to compete with. In the future this could relate to bigger fish??? CC just sucks, way over fished. Pyma is good still but has its issues as well, last year you could not even put in due to water levels. This year so far so good.
    troutguy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 642
    Re:Disappointed! 2013/06/20 09:26:20 (permalink)
    I don't fish any of the mentioned lakes much at all, so I don't have much to add, but if you guys get a chance check out the recent biologist report for Arthur.  It's mainly about musky, but it also mentions other species.  And the lake is full of alewives, which is why the PFBC thinks the fishing is tough because there is just so much forage. 

phishfearme

have walked many miles in waders chasing trout - only good for about 6 weeks in late april thru may.

phish

Say what now??

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    Re:Disappointed! 2013/06/20 09:35:57 (permalink)
    Say what now??

After that, I guess the phish fear him too much and refuse to bite.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    Re:Disappointed! 2013/06/20 10:57:53 (permalink)
    20 eyes yesterday with 2 keepers...no problems here...:)

FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2083
    Re:Disappointed! 2013/06/20 11:02:39 (permalink)
    It's all about knowledge. F2F, maybe try focusing on one or two lakes all season and get to know them better, rather than fishing a bunch of places without actually spending the time to figure them out.
    Accountant
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    Re:Disappointed! 2013/06/20 17:04:24 (permalink)
    it doesnt matter if its north park lake or lake erie, the more you fish a certain area, over time you learn where to fish and where its not worth your time. 

i have a lot of fun fishing new places.  in the past year, ive fished a half dozen or so new places, and honestly i havent caught many fish doing so.  i enjoy the experience of traveling to new places and seeing new sights, but even if it seems boring going to the same place over and over, it certainly pays to know your area.
    phishfearme
    Avid Angler
    Re:Disappointed! 2013/06/20 19:00:08 (permalink)
    phishfearme

have walked many miles in waders chasing trout - only good for about 6 weeks in late april thru may.

phish

Say what now??

streams get too low and warm after about june 1 - why do you think the commission stops stocking after late may?  i've seen flocks of holdovers in laurel hill creek facing into small brook trout streams that enter LHC that will scatter as soon as anything approaches - these fish are next to impossible to catch and will no doubt die within a few weeks.

even the delayed harvest areas are near impossible to fish.  the yough dam outflow stays cold and good flow but the snot weed has totally fouled that area up.

you are welcome to spend your time in these low, warm water conditions - i prefer to do something else.

phish
    troutguy
    Expert Angler
    Re:Disappointed! 2013/06/20 19:38:52 (permalink)
    I know what you're saying, but again you mentioned the Yough which is an option. As well as the Allegheny which is another tailwater, and then there's plenty of wild trout streams(of all 3 species). Yeah, even some of the wild trout streams get a little toasty too and it's best to leave them alone in the summer, but there are still a bunch of them that stay cold and fishable throughout the summer.

And you said late April through May, what about October through early-mid April?

And fwiw, I had good fishing(w/ good water temps) for stocked trout all the way until last week when I last fished for them.  The temps are starting to get a little hairy on some creeks now though, but the wild trout streams and cold tailwaters will fish.

And then of course there's warmwater species, which brings us back on subject......carry on..
    post edited by troutguy - 2013/06/20 19:41:41
    troutguy
    Expert Angler
    Re:Disappointed! 2013/06/20 19:51:36 (permalink)
    To the OP(and whoever else..)

You mentioned Arthur, Pymy, etc...what about Shenango Lake? Just throwing out another option. And then there's various rivers including the the Allegheny, Mon, and Ohio as you mentioned.  I've only been out on the boat a couple times this year(Mosquito Lake in Ohio, yeah, not much help in regards to this thread) but I've been fishing(shore fishing/wading) some rivers and streams all spring and now summer for warmwaters species and trout.  Lots of bass, walleye, panfish, etc. to be had.  Just something different.  And as others have mentioned instead of trying a bunch of different places just spend time on a couple and try to figure them out. 
    phishfearme
    Avid Angler
    Re:Disappointed! 2013/06/20 20:14:24 (permalink)
    troutguy - a good point about the early fall stocking - i almost always hit that time for a week or so and also help the commission stock - it's only laurel hill lake though - and it's elbow to elbow at the two stocking points - i don't know of any streams that are stocked in the fall.  stocking streams in early oct would be iffy at best.

fishinguy and accountant - i totally agree it's best to focus on one or two lakes.  i focused on keystone for years (decades) and watched it deteriorate to the dead sea.  i know that lake very well and right now it's a waste of time.  high point lake was another focus area for me.  they've been screwing around with the levels so much for the last 5 years that you cannot get a boat in much of the time.  when we dragged the canoe in a few years ago we could only get two/three hammer handle pikes and one jumbo perch and one smallie and a few catfish.  not all that good.

i stand by my statement that i think it's best to save your money and go someplace real - and if anyone thinks western PA fishing is great, i would bet they've not been to northern ontario or montana.

phish
    troutguy
    Expert Angler
    Re:Disappointed! 2013/06/20 20:45:50 (permalink)
    Yeah check out the stocking lists come fall.  Most special regs streams tend to get a fall stocking(except I don't the Slippery Rock is next fall?).  I believe there's a couple DHALO streams near Pittsburgh which should get a fall stocking, but I'd check the list first as they're not stocking as many streams as they used to in the fall.

phishfearme

i stand by my statement that i think it's best to save your money and go someplace real - and if anyone thinks western PA fishing is great, i would bet they've not been to northern ontario or montana.

phish

I used to think the fishing in W. PA is great(and still do to an extent), and although I never fished Ontario or Montana, I did make a trip to Colorado last year and I'd have to say, the worst trout stream I fished during my time out there was better than the best stream I've fished in PA, and I've fished some very good streams in PA.  So you make a point there, but still the fishing isn't all that bad in PA ;)

I actually live in Ohio, though only 15min from the border and I find myself doing most of my fishing in PA. Yeah, the fishing in Ohio is good, but I still think the non-resident license is well worth the money.  I can catch good numbers of trout, walleye, lmb, smb, white bass, hybrids, pike, catfish, panfish, and carp within an hour from home.  Good numbers(and often size) of each of those species.  And that's from shore/wading.  Anything over an hour add many more stocked and wild trout opportunities, steelhead, and more warmwater opportunities.  Yeah, it took me a while to figure them out and learn the waters, but I'm now successful because of it.  Many skunkings, but also many fantastic days.  Gotta know where, when, how, and how to adapt if the conditions aren't the best.
    post edited by troutguy - 2013/06/20 20:49:30
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    Re:Disappointed! 2013/06/20 21:23:39 (permalink)
    A good place right now for good no. of fish is Mosquito Lake in Ohio.
    The eyes and crappie are biting really well. Launch by the dam and troll hot n tots. You will be happy....trust me!

troutguy
    Expert Angler
    Re:Disappointed! 2013/06/20 22:58:04 (permalink)
    The times I have fished Mosquito this year I did alright with bass and crappie, but no walleye for me.  I can catch walleye perfectly fine in rivers but can't figure them out on the lake to save my life.  Tried trolling a few times but don't think I'm doing it right and may not have the right equipment/setup. 

That said, before I call Mosquito a dead sea in regards to walleye(which it isn't), I should probably spend more time on it and try to figure it out before moving to Ontario lol JK
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    Re:Disappointed! 2013/06/21 00:34:22 (permalink)
    phishfearme

phishfearme

phish

Say what now??

streams get too low and warm after about june 1 - why do you think the commission stops stocking after late may?  i've seen flocks of holdovers in laurel hill creek facing into small brook trout streams that enter LHC that will scatter as soon as anything approaches - these fish are next to impossible to catch and will no doubt die within a few weeks.

even the delayed harvest areas are near impossible to fish.  the yough dam outflow stays cold and good flow but the snot weed has totally fouled that area up.

you are welcome to spend your time in these low, warm water conditions - i prefer to do something else.

phish

I'm so glad there are people like you. 
    phishfearme
    Avid Angler
    Re:Disappointed! 2013/06/21 08:56:45 (permalink)
    mikastorm - thanks for the pointer - this lake is actually closer to me than pymy - i just never looked outta state before - i'll give it a try.  does anyone know off hand if one day non-resident ohio licenses are still available?  i got one for fishing lake erie out of ashtabula but is that the same license that would be used for non-lake erie lakes?

thanks,
    phish
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1780
    Re:Disappointed! 2013/06/21 09:13:08 (permalink)
    You can get a one day license for $11. You can also take that old license (if it's from this year) and use it as credit toward a year non-resident license.

“If you're in trouble, or hurt or in need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.”
    John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath
    phishfearme
    Avid Angler
    Re:Disappointed! 2013/06/21 09:59:16 (permalink)
    slabdaddy

You can get a one day license for $11. You can also take that old license (if it's from this year) and use it as credit toward a year non-resident license.

thanks john - $11 is not bad for a one day license.  i don't think PA even offers this option for non-residents.
    phish
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    Re:Disappointed! 2013/06/21 11:12:11 (permalink)
    And some of us just wish we had the time to fish anywhere.....
    troutguy
    Expert Angler
    Re:Disappointed! 2013/06/21 16:15:39 (permalink)
    And Ohio doesn't have any Lake Erie or Trout Stamps, so that saves you money.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: