Dumb Question Oil Creek

Author
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 729
  • Reward points: 0
2013/06/08 10:44:30 (permalink)

Dumb Question Oil Creek

I know this is a dumb question but I do not know the answer and figure this is a good place to get the facts.
I fished Oil Creek this week for the first time and noticed little mounds of gravel scattered throughout the creek what are they from? My guese is they are result of spawning maybe eels?

I fly fished caught 8 rainbows on 12/14 adams and was very impressed with bugs fish and scenery. Wish it was a little closer the 1hour plus drive was bit of a drag but worth it.

WCW

6 Replies Related Threads

troutguy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 642
    Re:Dumb Question Oil Creek 2013/06/08 13:56:06 (permalink)
    I haven't been to Oil yet this year, but my guess would be they are from striped shiners.  They're all over Neshannock and I've been getting a bunch of shiners around them, and have even been seeing the big colored up males on them.  Surprised that such a small fish can make a big redd/nest.  It could be something else though, but I'm still sticking with shiners. 

workcanwait....
    Expert Angler
    Re:Dumb Question Oil Creek 2013/06/08 15:24:56 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply.
    I did see a lot of stripped minnows of some kind in the water so maybe you are right.
    But like you said it seems strange such big mounds made by minnows, the mounds I saw were  a foot or more in diameter maybe 6 inches high.
    Anyone else have any thoughts.............WCW
    troutguy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 642
    Re:Dumb Question Oil Creek 2013/06/08 23:41:34 (permalink)
    Yeah that does seem strange, but like I said I've caught some of the bigger males in spawning mode off the mounds so idk. And I haven't seen any other fish around them like bass, trout, etc.. 

Ironically, striped shiners aren't really striped at all.  Well they have like one or two stripes on them, but not enough I would say to call them "striped."  They're more silverish.  Maybe the fish you saw were northern hog suckers?  Kinda look like perch a tad bit with the stripes along them. 
    edit: here's a link about them They average smaller than the one in the pic, but that one in the pic is like the ones I've been seeing/catching off the mounds.  http://www.dnr.state.oh.u...773/Default.aspx  It says they make nests out of fine gravel or sand.  Hmmm

Still trying to think of what other fish could make them...
    post edited by troutguy - 2013/06/08 23:44:05
    PAFLYBOY2
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 49
    Re:Dumb Question Oil Creek 2013/06/09 09:20:44 (permalink)
    Maybe Crayfish?
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    Re:Dumb Question Oil Creek 2013/06/09 09:36:24 (permalink)
    Snakeheads ....WF
    workcanwait....
    Expert Angler
    Re:Dumb Question Oil Creek 2013/06/10 21:32:22 (permalink)
    Ok did a real quick search on shiners in PA got this info 1st click...

The males defend the spawning territory. Some shiners, including the emerald, bridle, spottail and mimic, broadcast their eggs randomly over gravel, sand or mud bottoms. Several shiners, like the common, rosyface and striped, spawn over the stone-mound nests of creek chubs and hornyhead chubs, allowing their eggs to fall into the crevices of the already built spawning site. Because several shiner species may use the same spawning location at the same time, hybridization is common. Shiners spawn from spring throughout summer, according to their species. They do not defend the nest after spawning.

Makes complete sense with  the amount of different minnows I saw that day.
    Also a lot of crayfish and tadpoles seen that day I was very impressed with how full of life the creek was......

As always thanks for the replies........WCW
    Jump to: